Sabotaged by Toddlers

Options

Replies

• Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of truth to the Trace Adkins song "You're going to miss this"

For me it is grandchildren so I am able to include them in my dieting and exercise but that is the older ones who are 10, 12 and 15 year old girls and 11, 13 and 14 year old boys. They enjoy joining in with the granddaddy. They also help me reducing snack calories by always being there to share my snacks with.

The younger ones, 2 months and 18 months............... I leave them with their parents.
  • LishLash79
    LishLash79 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have five kids....
    I go to the Gym.. YMCA... Programs for all = peace for me.. LOVE IT!!!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Let them work out with you.
    prenchpress_zps7221b2dc.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    2/10
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Let them work out with you.
    prenchpress_zps7221b2dc.gif

This guy has the right idea.

My mom got my youngest sister some little baby weights (1 pounders, but we might move her up to 3lbs soon) and just lets her go wild when it's time to workout.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Dora or MFP your priorities are clearly in the wrong place...what if swiper swipes it huh? then how would you feel?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Chucking toddlers for distance can be a great workout...

...and when they stop coming back for more, do whatever workout you originally planned.

If they return, resume chucking.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    I made my toddler (when she was a toddler) part of the workout. She loved it and would always push me to do more when I was already kaput.
    I would use her as the weights or place her on my legs and do leg lifts. Or she would sit on my foot, wrap her arms and legs around my leg and demand I walk around the house. When that leg was dead I would make her switch. By the end of the day my legs felt like they were cement.
    Miss those days.
  • Raasy
    Raasy Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Double LOL...one at you Varda cause you are awesome and made me smile

and two...

At the people who are actually taking this seriously.

^^^ This.. You know my husband always said that he is going to make a wall all super strength Velcro, that way you could just put the kid on the wall and do what you need to do.. But duct tape works just as well, Get the zebra stripped!!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I heard duct-taping toddlers to walls can work wonders......

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not serious.

But I would suggest a baby-sitter so you can work out without babies trying to kill you by jumping all over you. Are you sure they're not trying to kill you? Toddlers can be evil. Ever seen or read Pet Cemetery? :laugh:

hotline call!!!! sorry thats the social worker in me coming out again ;)
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Two little boys that just want to play when I'm working out. I've started doing my workouts in the evening when my husband is home so he can keep them entertained while I do my own thing.

As for Dora... oh god, can't help you there. My 3 year old is obsessed with her.
  • ichoose2believe
    ichoose2believe Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The best is my 4 year old saying he wants to do yoga with me and at some point farts. Then comes "Mommy can you smell my stinky fart". Which makes me laugh. Hard to find my center with the Farting Yogi helping me out.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Seriously--if you are doing cardio just to burn calories, you don't actually need to bother. Depending on how heavy you are, you burn A LOT of calories in taking care of toddlers. Weight-lifting for 20-30 minutes three times a week might do more for you than a bunch of cardio. But, if you like cardio, then you probably should think about babysitting.

I beg to disagree. I actually have more muscle mass than I've ever had raising kids. You don't actually do all that much chasing. You do a lot of progressive resistance exercises (progressive because they are growing - the 3YO is 40 pounds). My knees used to buckle carrying them both upstairs. Now I can at twice the weight,
  • likitisplit
    Options
    sneak up behind you when you're on all fours and end up with your foot in their face.
    eat ALL the fruit in the house.
    throw the stones out of the fireplace while you're trying to do jumping jacks.
    Steal your water bottle when you're not looking.
    Grab the remote and change channel while you're doing your dvd workout.
    sneak upstairs and empty out all the shampoo bottles on the bathroom floor while you're busy exercising.

on the plus side it too cute watching my 2 and 4yr old trying to do insanity moves.

They are adorable when they stretch with me :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Take them to the gym, toss them in the lions cage with all the other toddlers, and book it before they know what the F just happened. You're welcome.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love this one too!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    What can I say?!? It's sabotage...
    :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh:
    I totally feel your pain, OP. Mine sabotaged my graduate program by putting pennies in my computer's floppy drive and hanging on my arm as I was typing my thesis. When I let him drop the six inches from my forearm to the floor, he called 911 on me. :huh: #truestory

And now he's commuting to college, and even though he still lives in my house... for now... every time I see him is special. I went through "empty nest" HARD when he went out of state for a couple years. Mixed feelings about going through it again. Sure enjoying his presence in the house now, and not just because he spots my bench. :happy:

ETA: He also seems to get chatty about girlfriends, want to demonstrate his power clean, and/or have a network problem or a homework question, right after my warmup set of squats. Some things never change!

911? Poor Mommy! And I have it on authority that the gypsys don't want them. Sometimes I look at the sobbing toddler puddle on the floor and imagine how proud I will be when they graduate.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Seriously--if you are doing cardio just to burn calories, you don't actually need to bother. Depending on how heavy you are, you burn A LOT of calories in taking care of toddlers. Weight-lifting for 20-30 minutes three times a week might do more for you than a bunch of cardio. But, if you like cardio, then you probably should think about babysitting.

I beg to disagree. I actually have more muscle mass than I've ever had raising kids. You don't actually do all that much chasing. You do a lot of progressive resistance exercises (progressive because they are growing - the 3YO is 40 pounds). My knees used to buckle carrying them both upstairs. Now I can at twice the weight,

Moms, on average, burn an extra 100 calories per hour through childcare. Over the course of an eight to ten-hour day, that's a lot of extra calories burned over just sitting around. But, if you just replace those calories by eating more (the bane of young mothers because they are around food and exposed to food all day long) then it is a wash or worse. Lifting kids a few times a day may make the muscle you have stronger, but it won't necessarily build any extra muscle.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Moms, on average, burn an extra 100 calories per hour through childcare. Over the course of an eight to ten-hour day, that's a lot of extra calories burned over just sitting around. But, if you just replace those calories by eating more (the bane of young mothers because they are around food and exposed to food all day long) then it is a wash or worse. Lifting kids a few times a day may make the muscle you have stronger, but it won't necessarily build any extra muscle.

Good to know!

Of course, I don't lift my kids a few times a day, either. Some days it feels like I only set them down to cook and tie my shoes. It's either one or the other (or both).

Also, candy. You know the expression "taking candy from a baby"? People don't take candy from babies. They GIVE candy to babies. My children have been surrounded with a confetti-like cloud of sugar since they were 18-months old. I set limits for them, but what does that mean for me? Leftover candy.
  • alrcincy
    Options
    I can't workout if my kids are awake so I get up at 5am and do my workout. That is the only time I have to myself!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I heard duct-taping toddlers to walls can work wonders......

And before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not serious.

I actually threatened this once. My boys then were BEGGING me to duct tape them to the wall, floor, chairs, each other......