Do you tip at sonic?

Options

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No...the one time I ate there, I decided to puke instead.

I wouldn't say they are terrible, just a bit south of mediocre.
    Only had it once as they're not currently in my area, but it was bland & hardly edible. Maybe it was just that one store, but one my kids vomited as well. Nope...not again.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I detest Sonic.

But when I used to go there, yeah I usually did tip. My order was $1-3 and I tipped change, or $1
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    People are jerks if the don't tip. Car hops make the same as waitresses hourly. If you don't go through the drive thru, you are supposed to give them at least a dollar, if you only ordered a drink 50 cents. I hate how people think an extra dollar is going to kill them. If people are on such tight budgets, don't go out to eat.

That isn't true everywhere...definitely not in my area. I know of two friends' teenage daughters who work at Sonic and they earn $8 per hour (minimum wage is $7.35 here I believe). for one of them that was a major reason she chose it over waitressing at a cafe. She does make several dollars a night in tips but not enough to amount to anything.
  • ddpiel
    ddpiel Posts: 52
    Options
    The girls I knew who worked at Sonic when I was in high school made $7 - $8/hr from what I understand... sooo, no. I don't. And I never have cash anyway.

Sonic car hops make min wage or more, not server wages. Yes, I tip when I pay in cash but now a days I do not frequent Sonic very often. If I go, it's for a drink and I give them some change.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to Sonic since the 90's. The only way I would tip the server was if she or he actually came out on rollerskates! :wink:
  • biggar625
    Options
    Yes, People in those types of jobs need all the help they can get. If I can afford to go to Sonic, I can afford to tip.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Ah that explains it. I couldn't make sense of the topic title, I thought you were talking about tipping a hedgehog.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've never been to one! :O
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Sonic was my first job. Started there as a carhop when I was 17. Second I found a higher paying job that would hire me, I was out! Nobody tips the carhops and with what I was getting paid it was not worth it!
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Haven't been in a long while but I do.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    People are jerks if the don't tip. Car hops make the same as waitresses hourly. If you don't go through the drive thru, you are supposed to give them at least a dollar, if you only ordered a drink 50 cents. I hate how people think an extra dollar is going to kill them. If people are on such tight budgets, don't go out to eat.

That isn't true everywhere...definitely not in my area. I know of two friends' teenage daughters who work at Sonic and they earn $8 per hour (minimum wage is $7.35 here I believe). for one of them that was a major reason she chose it over waitressing at a cafe. She does make several dollars a night in tips but not enough to amount to anything.

I was paid $5.15 an hour.... This was 9 years ago though.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    What's with the 15% tip thing? If I give them $1.50 for buying $10 worth of stuff why should I give them $3 for buying $20 worth of stuff? They do the same amount of work either way.
  • Tigerman999
    Options
    What's with the 15% tip thing? If I give them $1.50 for buying $10 worth of stuff why should I give them $3 for buying $20 worth of stuff? They do the same amount of work either way.

To show your are not an unappreciative, cheap DORK
  • _Waffle_
    Options

So if I buy a $100 bottle of wine I should give them $15? What if I spent $1000 on a bottle of champagne? Should I then tip $150? That's absurd. People are crazy if they think they should get paid more to make the same trip carrying the same weight, and get paid more.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    So if I buy a $100 bottle of wine I should give them $15? What if I spent $1000 on a bottle of champagne? Should I then tip $150? That's absurd. People are crazy if they think they should get paid more to make the same trip carrying the same weight, and get paid more.

Yeah, I agree. I tip flat rate. At a normal restaurant for 2-5 people, $5 for lunch or $10 for dinner. At a fancy restaurant (as fancy as I go to with kids in tow), $10 and $15.

The way I see it - We're low maintenance customers (no endless refills or annoying orders) and at worst, even if I am their only table, my table basically made up the difference to get them to minimum wage for an hour. But they always have 3 or 4 tables per server - in the 30 mins we are there - as long as everyone else tips at least as much as I do - they would be making well over 2x minimum wage. Which is more than their skill and time is really worth to me.

If they decide to split tips with staff that get paid actual wages - that's their concern (and they should probably take at least one more table to cover that).

At Sonic, I only tip a buck or two. And only when they are on skates.
  • Tigerman999
    Options

Really, if you can't give a respectable tip you should stay home....

15% is a bare bones tip for very average service...
  • _Waffle_
    Options

That's rude. If I didn't visit their place of business then they would be totally out of a job. They should just be happy that people come there and order things. If they do a good job then perhaps I'll give them a nice tip. If not then at least their place of employment made money that day and can keep them employed.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

That's rude. If I didn't visit their place of business then they would be totally out of a job. They should just be happy that people come there and order things. If they do a good job then perhaps I'll give them a nice tip. If not then at least their place of employment made money that day and can keep them employed.

Not to mention that the server will be giving better service to the person ordering the $1,000 bottle than the guy ordering the $100 bottle despite both tipping 15%.

It is a stupid system.
  • captain_reckless
    Options
    I'm Australian so I don't tip as a rule

if the food / service is good I'll tip if its just average I pay the bill and am on my way

That said I have no idea what Sonic is
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I'm Australian so I don't tip as a rule

if the food / service is good I'll tip if its just average I pay the bill and am on my way

That said I have no idea what Sonic is

Lighting fast service...

sonic-the-hedgehog-game-9.png