How long should I be at the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym every other day for strength training... I'm wondering if there is a certain amount of time I should spend there? What's considered too much? Does it stop being beneficial after so long.. More isn't really better?

Thanks for any advice!

how long does it take to complete the total amount of sets and reps in the program that you're following?

....wait, you are using a solid, full body resistance training program, aren't you? you aren't just going in and winging it, doing a lil of this and a lil of that, are you? hello? is this thing on?

I follow the boys around and do what they're doing. Except that thing where they lift the barbell off the floor, because ewww calluses.

^^seriously?? wow. Bet you put full makeup on too before you go work out, huh? :noway:

What's the problem with that? I've never gotten on a competition platform for a meet without make-up on.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    I have spoken to two personal trainers and both have told me that it is quality over quantity. they have said that you really shouldn't be in the gym for longer than an hour because you start to do more damage than good. Their advice to me was to push yourself like crazy for one hour and then stop, make sure you have rest days too.

If I don't have good form then I stop. I might try doing that... Pushing myself as hard as I can for an hour and then be done.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I started off with 45mins, then 1hr, added a bit more to 1.5hrs, now i am pushing over 2hrs. If i can keep at it, i do. I know when to walk away from the gym ( at least my body does)
  • billyboybalbo
    Options
    depends whats getting hit, usually 45mins working out and 15 mins to get a shower at the end.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my home, so it ranges from 20mins. to almost 2hrs. 20mins. is a quick bike ride just do have some activity that day. The almost 2hrs. is if I do a good amount of cardio and then lifting (I don't do them together, I do one AM and the other PM). I'm just getting into lifting so it is taking me a bit longer because I want to make sure to warm up correctly, have good form, and not over-do. 3.5hrs. seems like overkill to me, but I have friends who work out like that but it's mostly because they are runners or play sports. If you want to keep active, maybe cut actual gym time down to just an hour or so rotating between cardio and lifting or even find a sport/activity to do outside of the gym. An example would be to maybe go in and do your weights and then later meet up with friends for b-ball, soccer, or something else like that. It would still be activity, but it would also be something fun and not confined to the gym! :)
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I do a program (Body for Life - you can google it and go to the exercise tool section) which is awesome and really provides some good structure. Weights are 3 times a week and only take 40-45 min (dep on whether you do upper or lower body). The intervals are intense and breaks are minimal. The important point: Plan ahead. I actually like doing it and the site provides you with exercises you can plug into a spreadsheet they provide pretty easily for tracking etc. So you stay focused and keep in line with the short breaks in between sets.
    I always felt I had a great work out, I saw very good results and loved that I didn't waste time.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    For maximum benefit, it's generally recommended that you lift the maximum you can for the reps you are doing. i.e. you should feel like you'd fail rep eleven. Once you are lifting at this sort of weight, your rest periods will extend naturally, simply because you'll need them.

The exact number of reps you do depends on your goal. Roughly speaking -

Under 6 reps - primarily strength
    7 to 12 reps - primarily growth
    12+ reps - primarily endurance

Though each range will contribute something to all three goals.

I urge you to check out some expert literature, and to consider training with free weights instead of machines. I just wasted nearly a year on machines, and wish I had used free weights from the beginning.

What do you mean you wasted a yr on machines? I've already lost inches since starting at the gym. I've read a lot of people say free weights are better... I don't get why?

Several reasons -

1. Compound weights hit multiple muscle groups simultaneously, meaning you can get a full body workout in significantly less time.
    2. By using compound lifts the body 'learns' to use all muscle groups together much more efficiently.
    3. Machine weights stabilize the weights for you, so you aren't working out the smaller muscles that are needed for that. Switch from a chest press to a bench press, and you'll find you can't lift as much because you can't control the weights. If you are looking for 'functional' strength, that translates to the real world, you need to be able to stabilize loads.

That's not to say that machines will do you no good. Just that you can get more benefit, in a shorter time, by lifting free weights. It's kind of a no brainer.
  • CaptBeardface
    Options
    The machines specifically target certain muscles. Free weights will hit the same large muscle group but also force you to use the smaller stabilizing muscles. I.E Leg Press Machine will target your quads, while a Barbell squat will target your quads, buttocks, core, etc. More bang for the buck.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It is time to go home, when the gym close.
  • iheartmy1dog
    Options
    The machines specifically target certain muscles. Free weights will hit the same large muscle group but also force you to use the smaller stabilizing muscles. I.E Leg Press Machine will target your quads, while a Barbell squat will target your quads, buttocks, core, etc. More bang for the buck.
    Several reasons -

1. Compound weights hit multiple muscle groups simultaneously, meaning you can get a full body workout in significantly less time.
    2. By using compound lifts the body 'learns' to use all muscle groups together much more efficiently.
    3. Machine weights stabilize the weights for you, so you aren't working out the smaller muscles that are needed for that. Switch from a chest press to a bench press, and you'll find you can't lift as much because you can't control the weights. If you are looking for 'functional' strength, that translates to the real world, you need to be able to stabilize loads.

That's not to say that machines will do you no good. Just that you can get more benefit, in a shorter time, by lifting free weights. It's kind of a no brainer.

Ohh okay, that makes a lot of sense. I think I'd have to do some googling or get a trainer first before I switched to free weights because I'm not exactly sure how to do everything w/ free weights. I might have to look into a program.. I was trying to be cheap tho lol Thanks for all the great info!!