Slim Fast

Options

Replies

• luciebam88
    Options
    Tried it once on a fad diet, before my wedding, lost the weight- gained it straight back! Also I felt bloated, vile and hungry.

Ditto!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is just another VLCD.

2 shakes - 360 cals
    3 snacks at 100 cals each - 300 cals
    1 500 cal dinner
    Total - 1160 cals

It's not enough.

Just eat healthily and stop trying to find shortcuts. 1st rule of weight loss - this is a lifestyle change. Don't do anything that is not sustainable for life.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I will occasionally have a shake for breakfast if I need to add some calories to my morning. You get roughly the same amount of calories from a bowl of cheerios which is way more filling though.

But if you need to supplement a meal in a hurry, its not the worst thing.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Tried it and felt hungry all the time.

putting liquid in your body instead of food will not help with hunger

gett some good decent healthy food in you

count what goes in.

exercise

you will feel better and you wold have channged your lifestyle
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Lost 20lbs very quickly before my prom. Gained 30lbs very quickly after I started eating again.

It did end up "going through me" at the end, every time I had a shake. It's cheaper than the Vi Shakes and the other fad shake diets, but in the end, eating real food is MUCH better and sustainable.
  • PHF58
    PHF58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think trying to "tame" your eating behavior & hunger is a pretty hard thing to do. Trying to use shakes (at least Optifast is nutritionally complete) is one way to see what it feels like without the food tastes overwhelming you-
    i have used them as a withdrawal phase, then I gradually add in food and can see which foods trigger my overeating more clearly. Been trying this for 8 months or so, have to be patient with getting reacquainted with my body and adding exercise. Good luck!
  • mollyb1018
    Options
    I drink Shakeology for breakfast every day and have never felt better! It is a super healthy meal replacement full of whole superfoods and natural ingredients. It helps eliminate cravings, provides energy, fills you up and it does help in the weight loss department. :o) That being said, I also eat 4-5 other meals per day. I would never consider drinking slimfast twice a day and only one meal. It just isn't healthy or sustainable. For me, Shakeology makes a great breakfast because I wouldn't eat breakfast otherwise. It's a supplements that help me with my overall health and fitness goals. In and of itself, it does not = superior weight loss results. An over all healthy, clean diet + exercise does. If anyone has questions about Shakeology, I'd be happy to answer.
  • beanrider
    beanrider Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Like most posts have said, as a diet plan, it probably is not the best idea. I use the powder as a base for a meal replacement shake, but I add fruit and other "things" to it to make it more fun. Not much different than making a shake from a protein powder, effort wise, much different nutritionally.
  • rahul1987oct
    Options
    i suppose there is no need to eat any of the processed food.
    just eat natural, and exercise and you will loose weight
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    i suppose there is no need to eat any of the processed food.
    just eat less than your tdee and you will lose weight

fixed that for you.
  • Littlestandrews
    Littlestandrews Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am not an all out slim fast hater...But, here's my experience with it:
    My husband is a Pastor and we are both at church crazy early on Sunday mornings until early afternoon. Neither of us wanted to get up any earlier than we already do to cook breakfast and since you can drink slimfast on the go, we bought them for Sunday mornings only. We've used them for 4+ months until recently. I decided I was sick of spending the money on something that left us starving before our 2nd service even started. So I went and bought a blender, fruit and spinach. I now make him a delicious smoothie for breakfast with the same amount of calories as slim fast had. We both stay fuller longer, it is healthier and quick to make. The fruit is an expense but it isn't much more than the slimfast was...and since I started making the smoothies, he has one for breakfast everyday.
  • lejla2002
    lejla2002 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat real food. I dont see any advantages to relying on a processed overly sweet sludge.

second that :flowerforyou:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat real food. I dont see any advantages to relying on a processed overly sweet sludge.

^ This
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    The shakes taste like flavored chalk. The bars were okay, but still had that chalky after-taste. It's okay for a snack, but not as a meal replacement. You'll gain the weight back the moment you start eating real food again.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I tried it a few times in the past and it NEVER worked because I was starving all the time.

As others said, eat real food, eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. No need to buy overpriced shakes.
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options

overt attempt at spamming...

so let me get this straight; the slim fast replacement shake is garbage, but the shakeology replacement shake is heavenly, bordering on magical unicorn dust....hmmmmmm the irony here is amazing ...

how much is this magical drink you are selling?

This made me LMAO at my desk. The person next to me thinks I'm nuts. Logging off. hahahaha
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    In the interest of saving time:

Nutrition facts: per serving, 190 cals, 6g fat, 200mg sodium, 5g fiber, 18g sugar, 10g protein

INGREDIENTS: Fat Free Milk, Sugar, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Canola Oil, Fructose, Calcium Caseinate, Gum Arabic, Cellulose Gel, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Mono and Diglycerides, Potassium Phosphate, Soybean Lecithin, Cellulose Gum, Carrageenan, Isolated Soy Protein, Artificial Flavor, Maltodextrin, Sucralose and Acesulfame (Nonnutritive Sweeteners), Dextrose, Potassium Carrageenan, Citric Acid and Sodium Citrate. Vitamins and Minerals: Magnesium Phosphate, Calcium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin E Acetate, Zinc Gluconate, Ferric Orthophosphate, Niacinamide, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Chromium Chloride, Biotin, Sodium Molybdate, Potassium Iodide, Phylloquinone (Vitamin K1), Sodium Selenite, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) and Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3).
    Decoding the Fine Print

After a quick-scan of the ingredients list, we can assure you that this stuff ain’t magic! It’s just fancy experiments performed in a laboratory. Here’s what we found:

This Slim-Fast shake contains only four real ingredients (nonfat milk, sugar, cocoa and canola oil); coupled with a whopping 19 chemical additives. Plus, an additional 19 added vitamins and minerals (i.e., their nutrition blend). So, that’s a staggering total of 42 items padding out the ingredients list. Where’s the healthy part?

Here’s the breakdown of the goods:

Sugar is listed as the second and fourth ingredient – and that’s never a good sign.
    Trans fats in the form of hydrogenated soybean oil. Eek!
    There’s one refined sweetener (maltodextrin) and two artificial sweeteners (sucralose and acesulfame). Yikes!
    And there are a slew of random additives that are hard to pronounce: calcium caseinate, cellulose gel, mono and diglycerides, potassium phosphate, soybean lecithin, cellulose gum, carrageenan, isolated soy protein, artificial flavor, potassium carrageenan, and sodium citrate.
  • mollyb1018
    Options
    From ndj1979: "overt attempt at spamming...

so let me get this straight; the slim fast replacement shake is garbage, but the shakeology replacement shake is heavenly, bordering on magical unicorn dust....hmmmmmm the irony here is amazing ...

how much is this magical drink you are selling?"

I never claimed that slim fast is garbage and shakeology is heavenly unicorn dust. A healthy clean diet and exercise are the heavenly unicorn dust. I wish you wouldn't be so quick to judge my intentions. You can assume all you want...but couldn't be farther from the truth.
  • mollyb1018
    Options
    From ndj1979: "overt attempt at spamming...

how much is this magical drink you are selling?"

I never claimed that slim fast is garbage and shakeology is heavenly unicorn dust. A healthy clean diet and exercise are the heavenly unicorn dust. I wish you wouldn't be so quick to judge my intentions. You can assume all you want...but couldn't be farther from the truth.

Please explain to me how your post was not a blatant attempt to sell your product?

Also, please explain to me how a replacement shake is better than real food..??

The implication of your post was that Shakeology was superior to slim fast; but they are both meal replacement shakes that do the same thing; hence, the irony in your statement..

oh, and while we are at it please define 'clean' eating, as there are about a million variations of this...

1. I'm not selling anything. I did my own research on meal replacements and chose Shakeolgy for myself. No one "sold" it to me, and I'm not selling it to anyone. Just offering up my experience based on comparison of what's in Shakeolgy vs. other meal replacements.

2. I DID NOT say that a meal replacement is better than real food. Clearly, you did not read my post. I specifically said that a clean diet and exercise are the keys. The fact of life is that there are people who choose to use meal replacements. I offered to answer questions because I use the product. That's it.

3. Compare the ingredients! A Snickers bar could be called a "meal replacement", too. It is MY OPINION that Shakeolgy provides my body heathier ingredients than other options.

4. Yes, I understand the million variations of "clean" eating. To keep it simple, My point is that eating a diet rich in whole grains, lean proteins, veggies, fruit (the outside aisles of the grocery store, if you will....) and exercise are vital to health and fitness.

I'm truly sorry I struck a nerve with you. You might try to be a little more open minded and allow others to share their ideas and suggestions without attacking them. It's people like you who give public message boards a bad name. Thanks for creating a hostile environment.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm truly sorry I struck a nerve with you. You might try to be a little more open minded and allow others to share their ideas and suggestions without attacking them. It's people like you who give public message boards a bad name. Thanks for creating a hostile environment.
    There are already enough people hocking that garbage that you're touting. No one was asking about meal replacements. Plenty of other coaches on here that offer the same thing. It's only hostile because we've been here longer than you and are getting really..

really...

....reallllly sick of seeing people offering to give their thoughts on a product that they're selling.

On top of all that, it tastes terrible and is horrifically overpriced.
This discussion has been closed.