WWII vets storming the Mall

Options

Replies

• VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    SCREW YOU. I don't find it funny at all.

Now I'm laughing at you!

Laugh away. You part of Westboro?

The user name makes it even funnier.
    That's why I laughed at him!

This also tickled me and I know nothing of this news story :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The real problem here :government shutdown closes National Parks to the public including memorial sites to WWII vets... but it kept 12 parks open for oil and gas drilling... :noway:
    I didn't want this to be a political post, but what I don't get is why they shut down the Mall in the first place. it's just an open area and there aren't normally guards posted there. So they put up barriers and posted guards (which cost money) to keep people out of an open area that normally doesn't cost that money to keep open.
    Don't post political things meant to enrage certain people and then say you don't want it to get political.
    I didn't mention the political aspect. I said I found the visual amusing. It was not meant to enrage anyone. If you are enraged by my post, that isn't really my problem.

Nothing in my OP mentioned anything political.
  • YouMadBro8281
    Options

Now I'm laughing at you!

:explode: :laugh: :huh: :yawn: Well I'm over it.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    The real problem here :government shutdown closes National Parks to the public including memorial sites to WWII vets... but it kept 12 parks open for oil and gas drilling... :noway:
    I didn't want this to be a political post, but what I don't get is why they shut down the Mall in the first place. it's just an open area and there aren't normally guards posted there. So they put up barriers and posted guards (which cost money) to keep people out of an open area that normally doesn't cost that money to keep open.

Because it is politics, and it makes one side look bad when they can say, "We can't even let the last remnants of the WWII generation visit their memorial." That can be used as leverage to try and get opposing politicians to budge. No politician wants to be seen as anti-veteran. It's a death knell for a politician's career.

You don't hear a lot about the shutdown's effect on the more important work of intelligence gathering, and military support, and how it is affecting government communities because, it's not as heartwrenching in this political climate.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

The cost is on cleaning and keeping safe. If you ever go there on a Wednesday late afternoon (no cleaning staff Wednesday morning) theplace is a mess, trash everywhere.
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options

Now I'm laughing at you!

:explode: :laugh: :huh: :yawn: Well I'm over it.

:flowerforyou: good :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options
    You don't hear a lot about the shutdown's effect on the more important work of intelligence gathering, and military support, and how it is affecting government communities because, it's not as heartwrenching in this political climate.

The man is supposed to have drill this weekend, but he may not because it looks like they aren't going to fund the Reserves. It's not a for sure yet, though. He's waiting to hear.
  • rml_16
    Options

The cost is on cleaning and keeping safe. If you ever go there on a Wednesday late afternoon (no cleaning staff Wednesday morning) theplace is a mess, trash everywhere.
    I guess that makes some sense. But I would think cleaning staff is cheaper than posting guards to keep people out.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Storming is a little excessive headline for the press. What normal American without a political agenda denies these brave veterans from visiting an open monument dedicated to them?
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm a Veteran and was proud of what they did but yes it was fun too, lets have a sense of humor folks, those guys didn't get that old by being grumpy curmudgeons!

Oh and I AM one of the 800K who got laid off yesterday also:mad:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have the pleasure of knowing one of these fine 'young' men and it doesn't surprise me at all. :) So cute!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh and I AM one of the 800K who got laid off yesterday also:mad:
    I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope things get back to normal sooner than later.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I'm going to hell for that, right?

(Just to clarify: I do not think what they DID was funny. It was pretty awesome. It was simply the visual that made me laugh.)

You probably are, but they are our 80 year old Grandparents so you can chuckle.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I think it's awesome myself. These guys took the honor flight up there and part of their trip (scheduled a year in advance) was to take the tour of the memorial. I can hear some of the comments in my head. "I made it across the beach at (Normandy or Iwo Jima...) what the hell is this tape here for..Of course I was moving a lot faster back then." I had a neighbor years ago who sounded and spoke in just that manner.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I think it's awesome myself. These guys took the honor flight up there and part of their trip (scheduled a year in advance) was to take the tour of the memorial. I can hear some of the comments in my head. "I made it across the beach at (Normandy or Iwo Jima...) what the hell is this tape here for..Of course I was moving a lot faster back then." I had a neighbor years ago who sounded and spoke in just that manner.

:happy:
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    they spent 80 thousand on this trip and couldn't get a refund so i don't blame them one bit. good for them. if you see the video the polticians showed up to greet them. its sad
  • rml_16
    Options
    they spent 80 thousand on this trip and couldn't get a refund so i don't blame them one bit. good for them. if you see the video the polticians showed up to greet them. its sad
    I don't blame them at all. I support what they did. At the least, they should have opened the Mall for them if not for anyone else.

I just ...

You picture "storming" as people yelling and screaming and running with pitchforks and clubs and stuff. We got people shuffling slowly along. It was the description/visual that made me laugh.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    heres the youtube link they flew in on a charter flight and all 100 vets mostly in wheel chairs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvCIXzLdqaI
  • Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options

The man is supposed to have drill this weekend, but he may not because it looks like they aren't going to fund the Reserves. It's not a for sure yet, though. He's waiting to hear.

As a reservist myself, I can tell you that unless he's on active duty orders for a critical function, he won't be drilling this weekend. I was supposed to drill as well, but was advised by my unit leadership that drills are NOT being funded, and will be deferred "until further notice".....
  • rml_16
    Options

As a reservist myself, I can tell you that unless he's on active duty orders for a critical function, he won't be drilling this weekend. I was supposed to drill as well, but was advised by my unit leadership that drills are NOT being funded, and will be deferred "until further notice".....
    Thanks!

The communication in his unit is CRAP. He happened to be talking to someone else in his unit yesterday about something unrelated and the guy mentioned someone he knew in another Reserve unit whose drill got cancelled, but no one from their own has said anything about it.

Darn it! lol As much as I miss him, I like having that once-a-month weekend to myself. Two months ago, he had car trouble and had to call out at the last minute (it's 200 miles away) and last month he had car trouble again, so I ended up having to drive him over there and be out of town for the two days. I might go crazy!