What does your day look like? Fitting in exercise...

Options

Replies

• marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I work full time and am taking 18 hours this semester so my schedule varies. Today I'm studying/ doing homework for a little bit, then going to the gym to lift, then skipping a class to study more, then a 90 minute kickboxing bootcamp, then I've got about an hour and a half before my night class.

On a weekly basis, I work 7:15pm- 3:45am with Tue and Wed off. I have 2 online classes and then in person classes Mon & Wed 2:00-3:15, Tue & Thu 4:30-&;15, Wed 7:05-10:00, and I have kickboxing Mon, Wed, & Fri 4:00-5:30. I try to go lift and then for a short run on Tue, Thu, and Sun mornings too.
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was getting up an hour earlier, before 'mommy' time. It means you have to go to bed a bit earlier, but after awhile it just becomes your norm. We get up just before 5, have a nice quiet visit and quick cup of coffee, and then hit the pavement before the sun comes up for a brisk 30-40 minute walk every day. Then let the fun begin! The benefit to an outdoor walk early in the day is that it just seems to kickstart the day on the right tract. Trying to plan for exercise in the evening just doesn't work for everyone and can easily be rescheduled because something else has come up.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Get up to go to work. Work until 4:30. Get to gym by 5:30 (it's a long drive). Hopefully leave gym by 6:30. But I only work out at the gym 2-3 days per week. And I'm single, so that helps.
  • smmadsen
    smmadsen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great post because it helps to know that there are so many who are in our shoes doing the same thing daily.

I have 4 kids and work full time as a Nurse.

The oldest is 19 and in college now. People think that when they move off it is easier but you just keep doing some of the same things but long distance and without the daily hugs. You now have to fit into their schedule too.

My youngest is 6 and the other two are 9 and 16.
    My kids activities range from Soccer, football, karate, culinary arts, volunteering, PTA, book fairs, Religious Education and as all parents know a whole lot more.

I could go into my schedule but you already know it is NUTS!
    Most days I fall asleep reading to the youngest and throw myself into bed feeling like I just got up.

Most of the time we are coming and going but we try to always eat together as a family at least once daily and exercise at least 30 min a day. That means being super prepared.

I had bought into the excuse that I had no time but after my first 2 my husband and I used to attend gym regularly so I knew it was possible.

The first thing you need is a very supportive spouse.
    Talk with them and see what you can do together. Make sure they understand you need their support to succeed, especially with young kids.
    Second make a list of priorities for both of you.
    Knowing ahead of time what is most important to each of you helps not feeling guilty later.
    It may seem hard now while they are young, but it stays hard only the situation changes.
    That way if you start now taking time for yourself you will be used to it as they grow.
    My favorite activity with younger ones was strapping them on the bike in a carrier and they always fell asleep.

I wish you the best of luck and dont be too hard on yourself. It is hard to feel like exercising when you are sleep deprived.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Make dinner

My kids are grown now, but my best suggestion is to fit exercise into this ^^ slot by doing more 'make ahead' meals. Crockpot meal recipes abound on the internet for people who want home cooked meals but are too busy to fit traditional cooking in their schedule. You can also make a lot of things ahead on the weekend for use later in the week, that cut cooking time down to just a few minutes.

You don't need a lot of time to exercise to make it count if you go intense. 20-30 min of strength training a couple days a week, and 15 min HIIT a couple of days a week can make a huge difference.

You could also incorporate family walks or bike rides into the family quality time. it's a great way to get exercise and teach the little ones good habits. Active video games such as Just Dance or Tennis are also a good way to get exercise as a family.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 530am, between then and 7am I feed myself, the baby, and the preschooler and get all three of us ready to leave the house at 7am.

Between 7am to 6pm is commute, drop off kids, work, pick up kids, commute back home.

6pm I make supper, we eat, I wash dishes and clean up the kitchen. Then I have family time, maybe fold some laundry. Sometimes I work out now, before getting kids ready for bed, sometimes after.

Baby has bedtime bottle and starts bedtime routine at 8. The preschooler is usually in the bathtub while I feed the baby. Once he is in bed, she is done with her bath and I start bedtime routine with her. Both kids are in bed by 9 (most days, although definately not all!)

9pm (or whenever kids are in bed) If I haven't worked out yet, I do it now.

I do tidy up the house a bit in the evening, like getting dishes and garbage where it needs to be. Preschooler picks up her own toys before bed. I do laundry here and there throughout the week. I save the bulk of cleaning for weekends when I have more time.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My day is usually pretty packed like most people who have commented.

5 am get up, take dogs out and feed them, straighten house up a little, shower and get ready
    6 am wake up kids, feed them make lunches
    630-7 commute
    7-330 work and walk on one of my breaks, a quick 15 min fast walk
    330-4 commute
    4 pick up house
    430-530 either Jillian Michaels Hard Body or Run 3 mi
    530 make dinner, while helping with homework
    630 hang out with family or off to kids soccer practice
    8 get home and wind down
    10 sleep

And start all over again the next day!
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    I have completely hit a slump when it comes to exercise. I keep making excuses that I'm busy and too tired to add daily exercise into my day. I know I'm only BS'ing myself because there are TONS of people who have much busier schedules than mine but manage to get their workouts in. I have 2 small children who rarely sleep through the night so I never get a full nights sleep.

My typical days looks like this:
    Wake up, get ready for work and get kids ready for daycare
    Go to work until noon
    Pick up the kids
    Lunch
    Nap time for the kids while I clean the house/organize/manage bills
    Make dinner
    Have quality family time
    Get kids to bath and bed (that takes anywhere from 1-2 hours, ugh, mentally exhausting!)
    Clean up the house (again)
    Crash!

So ... how do you all do it? Have energy to go through your busy days but still get to the gym, do homework outs, etc ...

I'd love to hear from others to get motivation and help me to tell myself to 'suck it up! this is life, just do it!'

Thanks!

Here's some ideas from when I had little guys.

First of all - find some exercises for the drive. I'm not talking anything to wreck the car but
    1. Pull in your stomach for 15 or 30 min or whatever. Try it. It's not so freaking easy - especially at first.
    2. Kegel exercises. Women who do these have a lot less internal issues later.
    3. Clench your butt. Also hard when you first start doing it.

Remember - these aren't going to make you look "fab" but they sure as heck do something cause my tush and belly have always been reasonably attractive.

Take running/walking shoes everywhere. 15 minutes walking/running is 15 minutes. Don't want to get sweaty? Stop at a mall and mall walk.

Quality family time can be a walk! Encourage the kids to really "see" the outside, look at the sky, check out some flowers, whatever. It can also be jumping rope, hoola hooping (this burns major cals), Simon says, kicking a soccer ball, play airplane with the kids, hit the park and play with them there, whatever. You can even dance in the house or do kid yoga (if against your religion then kid stretching program). Some activity is better than no activity and getting the kids into it now will keep them busy later.

Cleaning house sounds important to you. Put in your ear buds and dance/clean. You can do the twist while you are doing the dishes, electric slide across the living room floor - whatever. Or just dance for 15 and then clean.

Note: Although 30 mins is better for cardio, I know how it is to take what you can get.

Good luck!
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    OMG!! How early you people on the other side of the pond get up - makes me feel tired thinking about 6 o'clock twice a day- I'm in awe! I work 3 days a week on a shift rota so my daily schedule can change day to day and affects how I can access the gym, so I fit exercise in on my days off, and if that goes pearshaped I'll walk rather than ride to work.I find now that exercising 3 or 4 times a week is sufficient for me to maintain my weight and fitness- if I want to lose more weight I would reduce my calories to increase my deficit and maybe stay longer on the treadmill .
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options

I could go into my schedule but you already know it is NUTS!
    Most days I fall asleep reading to the youngest and throw myself into bed feeling like I just got up.

Forgot about this. At one time I had 3 crockpots with removable crocks. I fixed everything Sunday and put it in fridge freezer for week. Also, crock pots can cook on porch or in garage if it's heating the house too much. We also had one "sandwich night" and one "loaded potato" night. I made the stuff for the loaded potatoes in advance and shoved it in the fridge then just combined.
  • autumny70
    autumny70 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was getting up an hour earlier, before 'mommy' time. It means you have to go to bed a bit earlier, but after awhile it just becomes your norm. We get up just before 5, have a nice quiet visit and quick cup of coffee, and then hit the pavement before the sun comes up for a brisk 30-40 minute walk every day. Then let the fun begin! The benefit to an outdoor walk early in the day is that it just seems to kickstart the day on the right tract. Trying to plan for exercise in the evening just doesn't work for everyone and can easily be rescheduled because something else has come up.

My kids are also grown now, but this is still what I do. Up at 5, depending on how long it takes me to roll out of bed, a 30-40 minute walk/jog with the dog, home, shower, work 7:30-4, then errands, home, cook and relax because the workout has already been done.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids (yet) so it's easier to squeeze in gym time

5:15am - up and to the gym
    7am - finish work out
    8:15am-6pm - work
    6:30pm-8:30pm - school work (joy)
    9:15pm - bed.

I lead quite the glamorous life
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    i HATE that people say its about priorities - 2 full time working parents with 1hr commutes both ways to work and 2 school aged kids with sports and homework every night.... yup those ARE priorities!!! We are very active as a family - skiing in the winter and biking in the summer BUT making it to the gym for extended cardio and weight lifting is something that i CAN NOT do and for everyone who says i can if i WANTED TO then try a day in my shoes and GOOD LUCK!

It sounds like your active enough anyway so no need for the gym :)
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    It's tough but you can do it!! You have to want it bad enough, I always said I wanted it but never did it until recently...Here's my schedule:

Monday's, Tuesday's and Thursday's:

4:30am -wake up
    4:45am- Put in my Focus T25 DVD and sweat my but off for 25 mins, then stretch for 3 mins
    5:30am-Log my workout and hop in the shower
    6:00am-Make some breakfast for myself and my 4 year old, log on to MFP and see what everyone's doin
    6:30am -wake my son , eat and get him ready for school
    7:00am -leave the house, drop him at school
    7:30am -Arrive at work
    5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son and take him to daddy grab my pre-made dinner
    5:15pm-Drive to class, eat food while driving
    6-9:00 pm-sit through 3hours of lab/lecture
    9:30pm-get home spend a minute with my don bc he will not go to sleep until I am home
    10:00pm-try and study for a bit and try to be bed by 11 pm

Wednesday's:

4:45am- Put in my Focus T25 DVD and sweat my but off for 25 mins, then stretch for 3 mins
    6:00am-Make some breakfast for myself and my 4 year old, log on to MFP and see what everyone's doin
    5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son and take him home to eat really fast and change before Tball practice
    5:45pm Leave for T-ball practice
    7:00pm -Head home from practice
    7:15pm-Family time, showers and Tv
    8:30pm-try and do homework and study some, be to bed by 11:00pm at latest

Friday's:

5:00pm-Leave work, pick up son , head home make dinner do laundry and dishes family time, bath time etc
    8:00pm-Put son to bed and do my 2nd DVD for another 28 mins, shower
    9:00pm- Homework/study time, bed by 11

Saturday's That I work (Every other)

5:30am -wake up
    5:45am- Put in my Focus T25 DVD and sweat my but off for 25 mins, then stretch for 3 mins
    6:15am-Log my workout and hop in the shower
    2:00pm-Leave work,
    2:30pm Grocery Shopping
    3:30pm -Family time/ running errands/ swimming
    5:30pm Make Dinner/eat
    6:30pm Laundry/cleaning/take stats
    8:00pm Put son to bed, hubby time
    9:00pm Homework and study time, bed by midnight

Saturday's im off:

8:00am- wake up make breakfast/eat
    9:00am- do my stats
    9;30am-shower/get dressed, get son dressed and ready for practice
    10;45am-leave for practice
    12:30pm-get home from practice and make lunch
    1:30pm run any errands grocery store/pet store ect
    5:00pm make dinner / eat / family time
    8:00pm put son to bed/hubby time
    9:00pm homework / study time bed by midnight

Sunday's:

No set schedule but its a busy day doin my stretch dvd, homework cooking meals and cleaning house
  • flatsfish1
    Options
    I have a 5 y/o, 3 y/o, full time job and hour commute. I don't "make" much time, but fitting things in where you can works. I do a very brisk walk on my two 15 minute breaks... an 11 minute mile walk burns roughly 179 calories. I also do crunches in the morning before I get the kids up and going, do standing push ups using my vanity counter before my shower. Every little bit counts! :) I am great at making excuses, but that is how I became overweight to begin with. Well that, and a bum thyroid combined with poor eating. You can do it! :)
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    LIFE is totally tough action. Truth.

There is never ever enough time. We've got to prioritize and make time to do what we prioritize as important.

Such as your list.

20-30 minutes a day. Take a walk. Most folks can, if they drill down and look at how they utilize their time, find that they can pull on their shoes, walk out the door and walk for 20 - 30 minutes.

Take a look at where you could re-prioritize 20 minutes - 20 minutes for YOU.

Walking is simple. Most folks can do it. It strengths your bones, tunes up your cardiovascular health and it clears a cluttered mind.

All too often, we over-complicate things. Being more active doesn't mean going to gym or doing Insanity or any other "structured" workout. Start simple. 20 minutes. Where can you make the time?
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    First off remember that you are in a season of life. Your kids won't be small and needing such care forever. So eventually you will have a bit more time for yourself and be able to go to a gym or something.

As to exercise... fitting it in is quite a challenge when you have a family to care for in addition to work. I suggest you "fit" it into your schedule you already have.... Try little things because they really do add up. Like:
    When you go to the store park in the farthest parking spot you can find. Those extra 500 steps add up.
    Take the stairs at work.
    Walk to lunch or better yet take a sack lunch and walk during your lunch hour.
    When cleaning your house instead of just bending over to pick up a toy, do a squat and pick it up. When I go up my stairs I take a step up, do a squat. Take a step up. Do a squat. Yes it makes climbing the stairs a minute longer but hey, it's a minute I can do!
    Quality family time can involve physical activity, walking, playing with your kids.
    Just do what you can, even the little bits help. No, it may not raise your heart rate for a constant 20 minutes for cardio but it is moving and burning energy and getting your muscles in shape.

Good luck!
  • crackur
    crackur Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    FT Job, PT job, Graduate Classes, playtime with a 3 year old.........workout every day.......i find time to eat.

I don't need motivation. I am motivation.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You can't "find" time to work out, you "make" time by sacrificing something else...for me, it's sleep.

3:30 get up
    3:45 work out
    5:00 shower/get ready/get toddler ready for preschool (alone--husband is already at work by this time)
    7:00 drop off at preschool/commute
    8:00-5:00 work (45 min on the elliptical during lunch)
    5:00-6:00 commute/pick up from preschool
    6:00-7:00 dinner/dishes
    7:00-7:45 family time
    7:45-9:00 get toddler ready for bed (this can take anywhere from 30 min to three hours)
    9:00 in bed (usually fall asleep closer to 10)

On lifting days (Mon and Wed) I leave work at 4:00 to go to the gym, but otherwise same routine.

ETA: I'm also working on my MA, so I do an internship on Saturdays and am writing a thesis.
  • hunnyhun921
    hunnyhun921 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is to find time to exercise especially having small children and also being at work all day. Maybe you could try cooking dinner while you prepare lunch. Maybe throw something in the crockpot that you dont have to watch over and while the kids are napping fit in 30 minutes. Or leave out the cleaning and just do the usual cleaning at night. That way you dont have to clean twice.