todays the day i quit smoking!

Options
13»

Replies

• Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making the big decision! I quit May 30, 1997 and am so glad that I did. At first it can be tough. You will have to change some of the things that you do that are associated with smoking. I found that the hardest part. After a couple days it will get easier.
    I started using my hands more, got a little crafty. I started scrapbooking, cross stitching and knitting to keep my hands busy.
    You can do this.
    Unfortunately my Mom didn't quit in time and the damage to her lungs was done and she passed away from lung disease, which ain't pretty.
    A day at a time! Write back if you need more support.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I quit in February(my 2nd attempt). I didn't miss it from day one, I think because I had decided in my mind I was a non smoker from that day forward and believed it.I had felt like such a hypocrite for so long every time I'd leave the gym I'd light up, I was disgusted with myself, I felt like a phony. Someone told me my first attempt to get some toothpicks and soak them in cinnamon oil(not to long though). I thought it sounded too hokey. However it did kind of make sense to have something in your mouth/hands besides a ciggy butt.
    Someone told me on this site that a smoker's metabolism burns 200 calories more a day than non, so my body is still adjusting.
    Check this out fromthe American Lung Association
    :http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=33568

When smokers quit, within twenty minutes of smoking that last cigarette the body begins a series of changes.

At 20 minutes after quitting:

blood pressure decreases

pulse rate drops

body temperature of hands and feet increases

At 8 hours:

carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal

oxygen level in blood increases to normal

At 24 hours:

chance of a heart attack decreases

At 48 hours:

nerve endings start regrowing

ability to smell and taste is enhanced

The first year after quitting:

At 2 weeks to 3 months:

circulation improves

walking becomes easier

lung function increases

1 to 9 months:

coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, shortness of breath decreases

1 year:

excess risk of coronary heart disease is decreased to half that of a smoker

Long-term Benefits of Quitting

At 5 years:

from 5 to 15 years after quitting, stroke risk is reduced to that of people who have never smoked.

At 10 years:

risk of lung cancer drops to as little as one-half that of continuing smokers

risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, and pancreas decreases

risk of ulcer decreases

At 15 years:

risk of coronary heart disease is now similar to that of people who have never smoked

risk of death returns to nearly the level of people who have never smoked