Official Nightshift thread!!!

Options

Replies

• PoiBoyBlue
    Options
    -Jessifer123
    That sounds exactly like my schedule. I work thurs-mon nights, get off at 6am, then do all my wekly errands before going to my weekend, where I ignore everything important for awhile, inculding sleep.

I haven't found it hard to keep on top of the diet change, but I HAVE found it hard to keep to logging it all on my days off XD

I'm glad for my constantly quiet nights at work, though. I wouldn't be able to draw anywhere near as much if I didn't have them, and I somehow just got a raise recently for taking care of some very minor problems "more adequately than my superior officers have done."
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    NEVER EVER EVER EVER say the Q word....lol

I am working all weekend off monday for my b-day and then they threw a day shift at me tuesday.... i dont wanna work day shift...grrr then wednesday and thursday night.... off next weekend!!!! YAY!!! I get to go to the fall festival.... guess I will be at the gym alot that weekend also cause of all the good food and drinks I will have.

My dad found an old photo of me in my military dress uniform and brought it over to me today ... now I have my motivation picture :-)

Happy Birthday!
  • Jessifer123
    Options
    -Jessifer123
    That sounds exactly like my schedule. I work thurs-mon nights, get off at 6am, then do all my wekly errands before going to my weekend, where I ignore everything important for awhile, inculding sleep.

I haven't found it hard to keep on top of the diet change, but I HAVE found it hard to keep to logging it all on my days off XD

I'm glad for my constantly quiet nights at work, though. I wouldn't be able to draw anywhere near as much if I didn't have them, and I somehow just got a raise recently for taking care of some very minor problems "more adequately than my superior officers have done."

Yea I try to get so much done on that first night off, I forget that I need to get some sleep too, I try to take a nap but usually can't sleep. And I also have trouble logging too, maybe thats why I have trouble staying on track!
  • MegJo
    MegJo Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Yep - just got to reading all the responses - we've been going straight over here! A very exciting bar close for Friday night. I feel for you all who work in hospitals! I just keep sending them your way! :)

I've found the preplanning really works well for me (especially for the beer on football nights Lee!!)

I use to switch to a day schedule on my days off - but now that my boyfriend works nights too we keep our nightowl schedule on our days off - I can't even describe what a difference it has made for my overall wellbeing. I have way more energy, I'm in a better mood, and I feel well rested. My body just does well on a schedule. But, we're all different. My boyfriends schedule changes every 4 months so next time he goes to days I'll probably start flipflopping again.

(happy early birthday Lean!)
  • suzie1983
    Options
    morning everyone...have a great weekend!!!! Its been so busy at work so I havent been able to get up on here until now....grrr when its busy...i like the nice slow nights...but i did manage to not eat during my shift so I can now enjoy my hours of daylight today!!!!
  • suzie1983
    Options
    Happy Early Birthday!!!!
  • my2loves04and06
    Options
    I'll be working tonight and Sunday night. The first day back is always tough since I'm flipping from a day schedule. Hoping I can get a nap in this afternoon!
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the Birthday wishes :-)
  • suzie1983
    Options
    morning everyone....its a slow day in the cruise world....im glad tho ... its my friday
  • PoiBoyBlue
    Options
    Got a nice slow day going myself. And by nice, I mean "dear gods, could 0600 be coming any slower?" I REALLY want to just go home, rollerblading, fast as I can, drop all my crap off, and go out for another 15-20 minutes to just burn the energy I've got today.
  • seearainbow
    seearainbow Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join you guys although I can't post while at work.

I work 7p-7a. Which turns out to be more like 6:30p-8a. I have to be on a day schedule on my days off because I have a baby who is on a day schedule! It's so hard on my body, I hate it. I will try to find a day position ASAP, even though the pay will be lower. Right now, though, no hospitals are hiring, and my unit won't switch me to days because I'm too new and not high enough in the rankings. Oh and they have no day positions open, either!
  • MegJo
    Options
    Glad to see other people hate slow days too. I'm cursing myself for picking up 5 hours of OT on top of my shift tonight... 15 hours is a longggggg time. 1600-0700. But the money is good.

I'm also nervous for weighing in tomorrow - it'll be my first weigh in on MFP. *crosses fingers*. I guess no matter what the scale says, I do feel better. Before I was tracking food I felt kinda all over the place I guess. I wanted to be healthy but just didn't make the commitment. I used working nights as a BIG excuse. So hopefully tomorrow I'll finally get to let out the breath I've been holding! :)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Deep sigh...another night shift last night followed by a day of carb craziness. I guess I should be thankful that I only do nights a couple of times a month. The difference now is that I will not consider this a failure, but simply part of a process, and I will continue to find ways to manage shift work (any suggestions welcome). Here's a question for the group. If you know you have blown your calorie goal into the stratosphere, is there any point in torturing yourself by logging in the practically countless cals into the mfp food log? What point does this serve? I do sort of feel like I have broken the rules by not logging the cals, but I swear I will be logging again tomorrow!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think you do start to feel better just by making the commitment. I'm finally starting to see that this is a lifelong process. I will never be "done". I'm thankful for this night shift thread. It's really nice to have a forum where you can discuss the craziness that is night shift. Good luck with your first weigh in.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Jbug- yes you should always log your calories even if you blew it in to the stratosphere. My reasoning is that if I gain weight I want to know why and how much extra I have to do to get back to where I should be. If I eat too many calories I go work it off at the gym. Also sometimes when you think that your calories are way off they might not be as bad as you think. I guess if you arent gonna go work it off and don't really care then you don't need to log them, but I want to know exactly what is going on with my body so that I can adjust accordingly to whatever may or may not happen.
  • MegJo
    Options
    Yeah - I agree with Lean. I would log it. If nothing else, just to be accountable and consistant. However, if you tend to dwell on things and beat yourself up (like I do often) then maybe you should just try to forget about it and remember that tomorrow is a new day. Just keep plugging along, you'll get there. :happy:
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    What a crazy busy weekend, I think we have all the beds full here at the hospital. On a normal weekend I usually have enough time to work on paperwork and projects, not this weekend.

We also never say the "Q" word or the "S" word.
  • dindivt
    Options
    I just joined MFP and also work the night shift, actually Ive worked nights for the better part of 12 years however recently with the help of going from working in an ER to working as a dispatcher for a police and fire department it has come extremely obvious that if I dont do something soon I am going to become completely out of control weight-wise and I dont just mean the 20lbs Ive gained in the 2.5 years Ive been at this job, its also the some of the other dispatchers that have been here alot longer who are diabetic and pushing over 300lbs and lead a very sedentary lifestyle. Ive enjoyed the posts on this thread and look forward to reading about how other night shifters conquer the battle of the bulge!
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • PoiBoyBlue
    Options
    Jbug- whether you actually log the or not doesnt't matter. It's more that you know you had a bad day. How much harder will you work tomorrow to fix that? I was going to be almost 2000 calories under my minimum calories burned this week, but I worked my *kitten* off the last couple days and am now over that minimum. In two days, I've burned a bit more than 2000 calories to make up for it.