Strange American sayings from an English Perspective

Options

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Do other people use the phrase the *kitten* hole of no where to describe, in somewhat derogratory terms somewhere small/out of the way/no where near anything interesting.

We end the south use the phrase "BFE" or "bum f\/cked eqypt" to describe the middle of nowhere/small town.

For example
    "where are you from in Alabama?"
    "BFE"
    "oh, so a pretty rural place, huh?"

I have no idea where this phrase came from.
    Must be pretty specific to where you live. I know I'm a Yank and all, but I've lived in the South (rural Georgia and north Florida) for almost nine years and I know a lot of southerners, including half my BF's family. I have never heard that phrase.

Na, not to specific... I live in rural North East Georgia and we say this all the time, except we add an East before it.

Our town is so "hidden" the people in the town 13 miles down the road from us rarely knows where it is...

So, we just got into the habit of when some one from Gainesville asks where we live, we reply East BumfVck Egypt...

Agreed. I lived in Ohio until I was 17. Up there we called it BFE. When I moved down here to NC, they called it BFE land. Either way, it meant way out in the boonies.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    FUBAR and SNAFU are both military terms. Well, slang. (I met my BF at a bar called Fubar. Totally appropriate.)

I always thought FUBAR was an IT term.
    Nope. Started in the military.

A lot of people use it outsie the military, though.

Watching "Saving Private Ryan" was the first time I heard FUBAR. Hehe, then when I was in the military I heard it quite often.
    Anyone hear of a Charlie Foxtrot? ;-)

CF... Hmmm

Cluster *kitten*?

Yup. Most commonly used on my deployments, hehehe.

It's one of my favourites. All these military acronyms transfer very well into the civvie world :-D
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    94091b8f5de842ff71fc963296547ccc.jpg
  • sklarbodds
    sklarbodds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I recall an episode of Coupling where Jeff goes on a rather long rant about bottoms. And not the bottoms of glasses.

Seems Brits like their butts, too.
    Coming from an American....Coupling is a fantastic show ;)
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options

That's not the correct expression. It is "couldn't care less."
    Did you watch the video? I've only heard "could care less" said by Americans.

Then you're hanging out with uneducated Americans. The expression is "couldn't care less"
    Yeah, I'm not suggesting that no Americans understand the expression. I could be wrong, but I think it's been an expression over here (UK) for a lot longer, and maybe crossed the Atlantic relatively recently through British film/tv & got a bit lost in translation? Believe me, plenty of British people say stupid ****, just never heard a Brit say "could care less".
    That expression has been around in the US for as long as I've been alive, at least.

There are just a lot of people who don't understand it. I've heard peopel actually argue in favor of "could care less" and insist it's the correct phase with some very roundabout reasoning.

People here also write suppose to instead of supposed to. It's because they hear something wrong and think they heard it correctly and then it takes off with a life of its own.

No American who actually KNOWS things like this says "could care less."
    This reminded me of the people who say "should of, could of, would of" rather than "should have, could have, would have."
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Bahahaha, I love this. This could fit in well in the South, too. People think we're nice and polite, but actually, you just don't know what we're really saying.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    From my part of the world (Louisiana)

"Useless as tits on a boar hog."

BFE I got from the Navy. Also, "What the Fck" was always Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

This also made me think of: Colder than a witch's t*tty in winter.

From the Air Force: Charlie Foxtrot (cluster f***)

I used to say "Colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra.", or "colder than a brass toilet seat in the Himalayas."
    CF is a military term not just reserved for AF.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

That's not the correct expression. It is "couldn't care less."
    Did you watch the video? I've only heard "could care less" said by Americans.

Then you're hanging out with uneducated Americans. The expression is "couldn't care less"
    Yeah, I'm not suggesting that no Americans understand the expression. I could be wrong, but I think it's been an expression over here (UK) for a lot longer, and maybe crossed the Atlantic relatively recently through British film/tv & got a bit lost in translation? Believe me, plenty of British people say stupid ****, just never heard a Brit say "could care less".
    That expression has been around in the US for as long as I've been alive, at least.

There are just a lot of people who don't understand it. I've heard peopel actually argue in favor of "could care less" and insist it's the correct phase with some very roundabout reasoning.

People here also write suppose to instead of supposed to. It's because they hear something wrong and think they heard it correctly and then it takes off with a life of its own.

No American who actually KNOWS things like this says "could care less."
    This reminded me of the people who say "should of, could of, would of" rather than "should have, could have, would have."

And supposably. And undoubtably. SMH
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I had an argument once about the pronunciation of the word syrup. Do you say it like "sirrup" or "seerup"?
    Something in between, actually.

I pronounce it "surrup" or "sizzerp" to be difficult.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    "East Bum Fvck" - Out in the middle of nowhere
    "Looked h3ll, west and crooked" -- As in, "I've looked everywhere"
    "Couldn't give two sh1ts" - I don't care
    "Hot enought to breed a sheep..." - when it's hot outside
    "Hotter than a *kitten*'s heart" - when it's hot outside
    "Colder than a witch's t1t" -- when it's cold outside
    "Fvcked if I know..." - I have no idea
    "Happier than a pig in sh1t" - just really happy

For real, I have no idea where any of these came from, but clearly they were used in my family becuase I've used all these phrases for 35 yers.........

And, when I was in Australia I said "fanny pack" and nearly got my face slapped. I had no clue it was something I should not say -- in 1994 in the US they were popular and I was 15.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Bahahaha, I love this. This could fit in well in the South, too. People think we're nice and polite, but actually, you just don't know what we're really saying.

I was thinking the same thing about the South. I found working with British colleagues to be pretty easy because we all spoke sarcasm fluently.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    FUBAR and SNAFU are both military terms. Well, slang. (I met my BF at a bar called Fubar. Totally appropriate.)

Watching "Saving Private Ryan" was the first time I heard FUBAR. Hehe, then when I was in the military I heard it quite often.

CF... Hmmm

Cluster *kitten*?

Sorry but did anyone bring up FUPA yet? That word fascinates me.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I think *kitten* Hat is hilarious. I first heard it on the Big Bang Theory when Howard called Sheldon a "colossal *kitten* hat"
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

CF... Hmmm

Cluster *kitten*?

Yup. Most commonly used on my deployments, hehehe.

It's one of my favourites. All these military acronyms transfer very well into the civvie world :-D
    I did not know that SNAFU was an acronym until a few years ago. Now I'm kind of shocked how casually it's used and even at work!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

True, true, true.

This is also how lawyers speak. By your third year in practice, if you don't understand, you are screwed.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    From my part of the world (Louisiana)

"Useless as tits on a boar hog."

BFE I got from the Navy. Also, "What the Fck" was always Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

This also made me think of: Colder than a witch's t*tty in winter.

From the Air Force: Charlie Foxtrot (cluster f***)

I used to say "Colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra.", or "colder than a brass toilet seat in the Himalayas."
    CF is a military term not just reserved for AF.

Right, I only meant that I learned it while I was in the AF. I'd be the first to admit that most of the phrases the AF has came from other branches.
  • epazia
    epazia Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    English descriptions of car parts and models is interesting. The boot, the bonnet, a caravan, a lori (sp?)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    they ain't sneakers they're TRAINERS

I sometimes stumble when tryin gto figure out what to call those. I've lived in places where they have been called, gym Shoes, Tennis Shoes, sneakers, tennies, athletic shoes and trainers.

I have the same issue with dinner/supper. In some places I have lived you eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. In some others you eat breakfast, dinner and supper. In others you eat breakfast, lunch and supper.

I get confused as to what I need to call each meal in conversations sometimes.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    we all spoke sarcasm fluently.

:laugh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    "East Bum Fvck" - Out in the middle of nowhere
    "Looked h3ll, west and crooked" -- As in, "I've looked everywhere"
    "Couldn't give two sh1ts" - I don't care
    "Hot enought to breed a sheep..." - when it's hot outside
    "Hotter than a *kitten*'s heart" - when it's hot outside
    "Colder than a witch's t1t" -- when it's cold outside
    "Fvcked if I know..." - I have no idea
    "Happier than a pig in sh1t" - just really happy

For real, I have no idea where any of these came from, but clearly they were used in my family becuase I've used all these phrases for 35 yers.........

And, when I was in Australia I said "fanny pack" and nearly got my face slapped. I had no clue it was something I should not say -- in 1994 in the US they were popular and I was 15.

This made me think of "Sweating more than a hooker in church on Sunday." My husband says this one a lot