whats the point of excercise if I eat back the calories?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If HRMs, machines, and MFP were all at least 50% off then why wouldn't they just cut their current estimates in half themselves thus making their estimates twice as accurate?

Aren't the formulas these all use, used because they are considered the most generically accurate?

(not being snarky, I am genuinely curious)

So in other words, based on the OP of the first link there, HRMs are basically fine for steady state cardio and do not need to be cut in half?

So for walking, running, jogging, elliptical machines, and similar aerobics at a steady pace it's fine, or at least fine-ish? No need to chop it in half?

For programs like P90X, Insanity, T25, and many others they would not be so good?
    The formulas have assumptions more suitable for their target market, which is people who are already pretty fit, doing steady state cardio for long stretches of time. Four months ago, my HRM gave vastly over-estimated results - now, I can cycle 45km and run 10km and yada yada yada and it's no longer very far off.

How do you know that the HRM estimates you got 4 months ago were vastly over-estimated?

How do you know that the current HRM estimates aren't the incorrect ones?

(again not being snarky, or argumentative here, just genuinely curious and looking to soak up accurate knowledge you might be dropping)

rusureurnot18becauseyoushouldbe18tobeonthissite
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Lol... no... I am 31... 17 is my current goal Body Fat %. My name here is an affirmation.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Lol... no... I am 31... 17 is my current goal Body Fat %. My name here is an affirmation.

Sorry, bro. I checked your profile after I posted, but I couldn't resist. lol

Good luck on your goal!
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

Sorry, bro. I checked your profile after I posted, but I couldn't resist. lol

Good luck on your goal!

Lol, No problem... and thanks.

MFP community is very helpful and I am off to a great start, I am sure I will get there.
  • balguy
    balguy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Well, Im very happy to have created such a nicely debated post:smile:

Thank you all for your responses! I agree, I have to eat the calories back, I don't want to be miserable and MFP is already creating a deficit.
    I also appreciate that exercise has benefits beyond loosing weight and I was already big into exercise before I gained and during my 40lbs weight gain (meds). I enjoy working out is my favorite part of the day.

That been said I am on a 3 month mission to loose 30 lbs, and what I am wondering is if during that 3 month period I should lower my cardio and spend more time doing weights... is not a long term decision to stop cardio is a 3 month thing.... does that make sense?

Does running burn carbs ? is that a reason to exercise even if I am eating back the calories?
  • stella314
    Options
    I haven't read any replies so I apologize if Im repeating others. DO NOT SKIP CARDIO. You body will lose weight from cardio/weights because its working toward a goal of weightloss/toning. But if you body is losing weight because you are dieting without exercise then you are in starvation mode and will likely/easily gain that weight back. You create a calorie deficit when working out and dieting. Do eat to keep up energy but don't feel a need to eat exactly 300 calories because you burned that and think your body needs it. Also, don't feel bad to eat 350 after a work out cause your body is telling you it NEEDS it. Bottom line, when dieting to lose weight you need to burn more calories then you take in.
    I always tell friends to feel out a diet and exercise program. You need to figure out how your body will react and what your body's needs are. Keep working out, and good luck.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    The more I exercise, the more I get to drink...

Hell to the yes . . . will work(out) for booze. :drinker:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So in other words, based on the OP of the first link there, HRMs are basically fine for steady state cardio and do not need to be cut in half?
    That is only true IF you fit the fitness profile they're programmed for. There are HRMs that will allow you to set your fitness level by inputting your VO2max - those will be more accurate, if you test regularly for VO2max and input it.
    For programs like P90X, Insanity, T25, and many others they would not be so good?
    Yep, poor.
    How do you know that the HRM estimates you got 4 months ago were vastly over-estimated?
    Calculating burn for cycling, running and walking is straightforward when you know bodyweight and distance, so I could see how the HRM was incorrect. In addition, I log everything, which allowed me to go back and calculate the correct burns for me, based on calorie intake, exercise level and weight loss.
    How do you know that the current HRM estimates aren't the incorrect ones?
    See above. I log everything, which allows me to calculate actual burn from my own actual data, which allows me to catch discrepencies. This would be difficult to do if I didn't have a pretty regular workout regimen - consistency is what makes this possible.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    wut...? :explode: ok, no one is saying that 600 calories of food would suddenly disappear from your body after exercise. We seem to be using 1300 cals so let's be consistent. You eat 1300 calories in a day. You exercise to burn 600. Your body is then left with 700 calories to use to carry out daily functions. And most people need more than that to function properly.

No, that's not how it works at all (esp. if you have a high bodyfat %) - your body feeds off the stored glycogen (or the carbs stored in your muscle & liver) + your bodyfat for energy during exercise

BONUS TIP: if you exercise fasted or first thing in the morning you'll burn MORE FAT and less carbs (glycogen)

:noway: Ok, let me put it another way. My 1 year old is 3 feet tall and weighs 22 lbs. SHE eats more than 700 calories per day. So you're saying thag an adult who exercises off 600 calories should be able to carry out the remainder of their day on LESS than a toddler eats?

Of course not, but you're not eating ONLY 700 cals. - you ate 1300

if your 1 year eats 700 calories and let's say (for sake of arguement) that your toddle burns another 100-to-200 calories exercising or their normal daily activity is She only eating 500 calories per day? of course not.

but look - let's not let me and you get off on the wrong foot here. WE BOTH agree that 1200-to-2000 cals per day is reasonable for MOST people to lose weight.

I think are main struggle here is to figure out where those DAMN exercise calories go - LOL.

but i say (and I know this) they are used mostly for burning extra FAT with the assitance of a calorie restrited diet.

How do you know this? I'd love to see a scource.

Let me ask you this, what's the rush? On the one hand, I can eat 1500 calories no matter what my activity level is. I will feel irritable and weak by the end of a work out day. I might not feel hungry but the extra deficit will be felt. On the other hand, I eat at a 500 calorie deficit. I exercise because it makes me feel good and eat back my exercise calories, making sure I have enough energy to get through each day. In one scenario, I MAY lose weight faster, but I'll be miserable and exhausted and much less likely to stick to it. On the other hand, I lose weight slowly, between .5-2 lbs per week. But I'm happy, I look forward to work outs and I know I can live with this forever.

Seems like a no brainer to me
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Besides all of the health benefits of exercise, for me, the point is that if I exercise, I can eat enough that I don't feel deprived, which makes it very easy for me to continue to lose weight without giving up due to being hungry all the time. Low-calorie diets make me unhappy. Eating more + exercising more is easy and fun.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Well, Im very happy to have created such a nicely debated post:smile:

Thank you all for your responses! I agree, I have to eat the calories back, I don't want to be miserable and MFP is already creating a deficit.
    I also appreciate that exercise has benefits beyond loosing weight and I was already big into exercise before I gained and during my 40lbs weight gain (meds). I enjoy working out is my favorite part of the day.

That been said I am on a 3 month mission to loose 30 lbs, and what I am wondering is if during that 3 month period I should lower my cardio and spend more time doing weights... is not a long term decision to stop cardio is a 3 month thing.... does that make sense?

Does running burn carbs ? is that a reason to exercise even if I am eating back the calories?

I would simply recommend to give yourself longer than 3 months....30Lbs isn't a ton of weight to lose so you're not going to have the fat stores to go fast..also, as you approach a healthy BF%, things just slow down to a crawl. I'm personally not big on making "time commitments" for any of this stuff...I prefer to focus on the process and let the results come as they may...much less frustrating that way.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Besides all of the health benefits of exercise, for me, the point is that if I exercise, I can eat enough that I don't feel deprived, which makes it very easy for me to continue to lose weight without giving up due to being hungry all the time. Low-calorie diets make me unhappy. Eating more + exercising more is easy and fun.

^^^^ totally this!
  • Kelene616
    Kelene616 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump..
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Exercise like cardio raises the heart level, improves your overall fitness, and can actually train your body to burn more fat for energy.
    Cardio can also have the tendeancy to make you hungrier if you burned more calories than what you are used to normally burn before exercising. Actual weight loss is tied to the actual calories you eat verses what your body actually required for the day.

In general, weight loss is best managed by eating at a deficit. Overall fitness involves eating correctly, drinking enough fluids, and getting enough exercise. Two totally different but related goals. However, i personally found that I was able to get over certain plateus in my weight loss journey after I incorporated huge amounts of cardio combined with making sure i continued to eat at a deficit.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Exercise like cardio raises the heart level, improves your overall fitness, and can actually train your body to burn more fat for energy.

huh? :huh:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    People neglect their bodies for years to get 40 pounds overweight, then plan to neglect their bodies for a few months trying to lose it. Always the quick fix with no thought to life long fitness.