Free food at work not letting me lose weight

Options
hi MFP,

I started MFP in April and made good progress until 2 months ago when I started my new job. At my current workplace we get free breakfast, lunch and dinner + variety of snacks, drinks, dessert, etc.
All food is organic, healthy and snacks are low calorie.

The problem is I am not losing weight anymore. Eventhough I don't eat as much as I want to, still the food is so tempting that sometimes I can't avoid. Say for example if I am at home, I won't have dessert after lunch but here self control is so hard.

I used to sum up to 1500 calories a day and losing 1.5 pounds per week. Now it's very hard to keep my calories under 1900. Any suggestions? How can I improve my self control. I don't eat chips or chocolates at work, but even the greek yogurt or fruits have calories.

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You just have to stick with your plan, there is no secret or shortcut. Try to avoid walking by the food, plan your meals ahead of time so you know you can grab a couple things at work but still be at or under your goal for the day. At the end of the day, its either you want to eat the foods at your work and gain weight, or you want to control yourself and continue losing weight.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Watch your portions, choose wisely and i dont know what your exercise routine is but Get Moving!
  • tzonis
    tzonis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Watch your portions, choose wisely and i dont know what your exercise routine is but Get Moving!

Portion control is always tough, for me at least, when things are free and plentiful. That is why I think planning ahead what you are going to get for breakfast/lunch/dinner etc makes a lot of sense.

-Tz
  • lfell6
    lfell6 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Up your exercise?! A 45 minute run will take your 1900 cals down to 1400 easily
  • TheLung
    TheLung Posts: 58
    Options
    I had this issue at my old work place. Every day one guy would bring by bags of chocolate bars(company bought) and at that time it was to hard to pass up. At least once a week someone would bring in doughnuts and again hard to pass up. About once a month it seemed like they would have a catered lunch and again hard to pass on the food. The out of date stuff from the vending machine was also left for whoever. Free is free and I love free stuff. At the time I had quit smoking and got real depressed. This job was the only office type job I have had and sitting in a building all day was just to hard for me mentally. I gained 40 pounds working there in 3 years, most of it I gained in the last one.

I can not offer any advice as I failed myself when it came to this.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your calorie counts? If you are eyeballing everything, you may be underestimating your calorie consumption or overestimating your calorie burns.

Try bringing in a digital food scale and getting an accurate reading.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    At least you have healthy stuff! I work in tv production and am constantly surrounded by junk food. I'm currently sitting next to a box of donuts and a cake. People always make fun of me for "being on a diet", even though I consider it just eating healthy. I started changing my diet and exercising because i gained 20lbs in one year from eating all the "free" stuff at work, it was easy because everyone else indulged as well. I would love to devour those donuts, BUT I love my body too much now. I have worked too hard to eff it up with extra calories. Everyone once in awhile if it is something I REALLY want, I make sure I work it off at the gym.

Not sure what you fitness situation is, but I realized after I started working out that it made me want to eat healthy. I realize what was the point of spending an hour sweating if I was just gonna ruin it with food anyway. If you really want it then you will learn how to control yourself. I'm still teaching myself to behave because I still smoke.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Just say no, even to free food.

Yes, it is hard, but you can do it.

It is merely a temptation, but one you can overcome if you just get yourself into the mindset to say "I can." Repeat it every day before you go to work. Repeat it every time you step away from your workstation. Repeat it as often as you need. You can do this.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You are making the choices here, the food is not.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Just say no.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Look at your topic "free food at work not letting me lose weight"... no. YOU aren't letting you lose weight. You've gotta develop a way to say no to the free food, and/or focus on the lower calorie free food. I know it's tough, but yeah, at least it's healthy food.

Or, as the other poster said: up your activity level.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    You definitely cannot be at work morning , noon and night? so maybe if you feel you cannot control yourself at work, then reduce what you eat at home. Have a calorie goal and make it happen. For eg: i eat a good amount every single day, but if i know i am going to go to a party/date with hubby, i eat lesser than usual for breakfast/lunch, so that i can eat all i want at the party(but log everything). I am not sure this is a good idea, just saying. Whenever you feel tempted for food, have a glass of water/tea/coffee?
    All the advice given above are great anyway :)
    Good luck to you!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    At least you have healthy stuff! I work in tv production and am constantly surrounded by junk food. I'm currently sitting next to a box of donuts and a cake. People always make fun of me for "being on a diet", even though I consider it just eating healthy. I started changing my diet and exercising because i gained 20lbs in one year from eating all the "free" stuff at work, it was easy because everyone else indulged as well. I would love to devour those donuts, BUT I love my body too much now. I have worked too hard to eff it up with extra calories. Everyone once in awhile if it is something I REALLY want, I make sure I work it off at the gym.

Not sure what you fitness situation is, but I realized after I started working out that it made me want to eat healthy. I realize what was the point of spending an hour sweating if I was just gonna ruin it with food anyway. If you really want it then you will learn how to control yourself. I'm still teaching myself to behave because I still smoke.

Truth! I just finished work on a film shoot two weeks ago and crafty was, as usual, filled with mostly junk, sweets, and empty calories. I'm very in control of me eating now, so there was almost no serious temptation. But even a year ago that would have been a huge problem.

It never ceases to amaze me the oxymoron of mediums like TV and film glamorizing thinness, while craft services on most sets are endless junk.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    hi MFP,

I started MFP in April and made good progress until 2 months ago when I started my new job. At my current workplace we get free breakfast, lunch and dinner + variety of snacks, drinks, dessert, etc.
    All food is organic, healthy and snacks are low calorie.

The problem is I am not losing weight anymore. Eventhough I don't eat as much as I want to, still the food is so tempting that sometimes I can't avoid. Say for example if I am at home, I won't have dessert after lunch but here self control is so hard.

I used to sum up to 1500 calories a day and losing 1.5 pounds per week. Now it's very hard to keep my calories under 1900. Any suggestions? How can I improve my self control. I don't eat chips or chocolates at work, but even the greek yogurt or fruits have calories.

Regarding your specific question about improving self control. From the sound of your post, you giving food at work unnecessary power over you. It's not making you do anything. You are 100% responsible for what and how much gets crammed down your pie hole. This is the most important realization to come too.

Also, if you were losing 1.5 lbs per week at 1500, you are still in a deficit at 1900. Whatever you do, don't say f it and shove 4000 calories down your gullett at the buffett. Just remember you are 100% accountable for you actions, and therefore your success. Embrace that fact. This is the common denominator of the people who have been successful.
  • lebaker310
    lebaker310 Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Truth! I just finished work on a film shoot two weeks ago and crafty was, as usual, filled with mostly junk, sweets, and empty calories. I'm very in control of me eating now, so there was almost no serious temptation. But even a year ago that would have been a huge problem.

It never ceases to amaze me the oxymoron of mediums like TV and film glamorizing thinness, while craft services on most sets are endless junk.

Glad someone can relate. We are shooting the Redneck Heaven reality show and these girls are tiny! The women I work with constantly complain, but they are also the people who are eating all the junk food that is brought in. Every once in awhile we luck out and get Soup or Salad as craft, but mostly pizza and sweets.

I feel much better bringing in my homemade stuff.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Where I worked for a bit last year it was free food galore. I just counted everything I ate and adjusted my intake after work (eg light suppers if relevant). The main annoying thing was that much of the free food was carbs so my protein levels were really low. As suggested above, also consider increasing your exercise if you are eating over your TDEE.
  • IronPhyllida
    IronPhyllida Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I personally bring in my own food - but as you get it all free that's a toughy. But if it were me, I'd be picking up my exercise BIG time to justify eating all the free stuff. If someone brings in cakes to work, I make sure I have a piece (rude not to :D) I will then go to the gym and hit the treadmill.

Basically if you know that this is your weak point, don't beat yourself up about it - that just makes you feel even guiltier and the whole cycle starts again. Just conquer it by beating it at it's own game.

Go forth and conquer. And have cake :)
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    If you want it eat it, just up your exercise. Don't torture yourself.
  • drazani
    drazani Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    How are you getting your calorie counts? If you are eyeballing everything, you may be underestimating your calorie consumption or overestimating your calorie burns.

Try bringing in a digital food scale and getting an accurate reading.

^^ THIS

It will be tough but you are also accountable for yourself, only you can look after yourself.