Do you spoil yourself on your birthday? :)

Options
OK tomorrow is my birthday and I'm wondering whether or not to have a mini blow out ... only happens once a year right he he :bigsmile: My treat day is usually today but gonna be good so at least if I do break out it will only be one day :heart:

I'm not a big drinker the last drink I had was on my trip back up HOME to Dublin before that was Christmas :wink: I was thinking of having some cake (my fav is Victoria Sandwich) and maybe a beer or 2 :wink:

So just wondering what do you have on your big day :drinker:

Replies

• EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    lol.. I went to the strip club on my birthday.. Fun fun fun!
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!! My birthday was yesterday and yes I did splurge. I had 1/2 piece of sinful pie and a good-sized margarita the night before. Maybe I will exercise twice today to help offset. I think it's important to not deny yourself all of the time!! Have a good one!!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Its your birthday, treat yourself and have fun! Happy birthday!
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Spoil myself with electronic devices, golf equipment, and clothes.

As for food. Never again. I changed my way of thinking about food so why would I go and sleep with the devil just because I have been good all this time.

The idea is to get past my own addiction to food (weird) to utilizing food for the means it is intended (nourishment). I have learned to fall out of love with fat (brown foods, greasy foods, sweet deserts, etc.. ) and fall in love with baked, broiled, sauted, leafy, fruity, etc.. choices.

For my birthday the closest to celebrating would probably be an angel food cake which is like eating air and only about 80 to 100 calories for a slice with some strawberries on the side.

Now, if you must and can't resist - go ahead but record it and make sure you account for it over the next 6 days. The idea is 7 days in and 7 days out.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're at least thinking about how to counter it. So enjoy your birthday, it is only once a year. Happy Birthday
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself, it's your birthday but don't see it as cheating. Have what you'd like (within reason) and then get right back to your regualr eating pattern.

This is a new lifestyle and you can't live your life never having a slice of cake again!!!!!!

Happy birthday :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    My hubby's birthday is tomorrow, too!! Happy Birthday, and have fun!! (and, by the way, one cheat day won't kill ya, just get back on the wagon on Sunday!!) :drinker:
  • dianka93
    dianka93 Posts: 21
    Options
    Happy Birthday! To answer your question, no, I don't usually do anything different for my birthday than any other day. I make cakes and refuse to make my own birthday cake. So I don't get a cake. And since my birthday is in mid-December, I'm usually in the midst of baking Christmas goodies to send to family and friends. Am so sick of sweets and eating by that point that food on my birthday is not a big deal.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you but one of my biggest issues is that I see food as a reward - it's the same as when I've shovelled the driveway in the winter and come in for a frothy mug of hot chocolate. It's my habit and I'm getting rid of it.

I have made the decision to change that way of thinking and so I would say eat what you think you should if you can justify it to yourself, but not because it's your birthday. Spend the energy, time and money doing something special for yourself instead of putting it into your mouth. You'll remember it more in 6 months vs. something you ate.

Just my two cents :happy:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Now, if you must and can't resist - go ahead but record it and make sure you account for it over the next 6 days. The idea is 7 days in and 7 days out.

I'm interested in this - can you further explain?
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! Do something special for yourself. Get in an early morning workout and then have that small piece of cake. Once in a while isn't the problem, just get back on track after your birthday.
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! Do something special for yourself. Get in an early morning workout and then have that small piece of cake. Once in a while isn't the problem, just get back on track after your birthday.
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    I think having a small food treat would be good - why not? If you only drink once or twice ayear, then it's not going to hurt. BUT, if having a couple fo drinks will lead to a food splurge, I would consider it carefully before doing it.

I'd say toast with a low-cal cocktail or two, after treating yourself to a pedicure! Or better yet - buy yourself something you've been eyeing for awhile to help with your fitnees goals, like a HRM, or a new pair of LuLu Lemon pants. So may things to indulge in!

I, too, am trying to learn to not reward or treat myself with food. :)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    We are going to party like it's your Birthday
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I'm interested in this - can you further explain?

If you have a daily goal of say 1400 calories (also include alloted fats, protein, etc... ) that equals 9800 calories over 7 days. So, if you get over on Monday and have 2000 for that day so just averave in the extra 600 for the next 6 days. Also, you can make up for it by added calorie burn during exercise. So, one day does not make a week.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    Happy Birthday :flowerforyou:

I notice this topic is called "Do you spoil yourself on your birthday" not do you treat yourself, maybe the clue is in the title :wink:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My Birthday is next week and I already have my food planned/logged. I AM going to go over my deficit goal, but not over my maintenance. My co-workers are taking me out to lunch at Olive Garden and then I'm going Greek for dinner with hubby and kids, plus ice cream for dessert (forget cake, too dam many candles!!) while we watch the sun set at a nearby marina. MY food choices are made and they are, for the most part, pretty healthy ones (if not low calorie).

I will be working out the day before and the day after, so I may put in an extra 30 minutes or so eac to help counteract the extra calories. Or I may not.

Anyway, happy birthday to all you other Leo's!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Kasuko
    Kasuko Posts: 42
    Options
    I always say whats the point of eating right if you are unhappy? Lots of us are here because we are unhappy we don't eat right and look it. So we begin to eat right and that makes us happy. When you begin to feel unhappy about what you can't do because you are just as bad as you were before.

You have to do what makes you happiest, this doesn't give you free will to eat what ever you want whenever you want because we all know that leads to unhappiness so you are still breaking the idea.

You aren't going to gain 20 pounds in one day, so relax and have fun then the next day get back to eating right.

I feel it's this reason that a lot of healthy eaters fail. They go too far and they end up on the other extreme, what good is that?

The only thing to watch out for is the desire to burn off those extra calories the day before or after. It doesn't quite work like that so don't burn them all in one go the day after or you are starving yourself. Spread out the extra exercise or calorie deficit over a week.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday! Have fun, enjoy and eat to your hearts content (one meal).

I use to party like a rock star on my birthdays. :drinker: Dancing, drinking and coming home at the wee hours of the night. Now (married with 5 kids), I check out of my house in the morning, check into a hotel, spend the entire day by myself relaxing, swimming, giving myself pedicures and manicures, sitting in the hot tub, coloring my hair, plucking my eyebrows, giving myself a facial, watching movies in the bed and ordering room service, read a few favorite magazines and pretending that I have my single life back for just one day!!!!:smokin:

Then around 9pm I call my husband, tell him which hotel I'm at and he meets me for a night to remember! Thank God for babysitter's! :tongue: :heart: :tongue: :heart: :tongue:
  • brown_daniel
    Options
    Happy birthday! Do something you really want to do on that special day. Its just once a year so there's nothing wrong to spoil yourself. It is your day so make the most of it! Enjoy!