+2 lb this week - what did i do wrong ?

Options
Palain
Palain Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi everyone

3 weeks in, but as the topic says I have gained 2 lb this week. It was a bit of a shock tbh as I have not done anything different to the previous 2 weeks. Is it normal for sometimes gain a little ? I also eat very late in the day, due to my shift work, so my main meal is after 8pm, do i need change this ?

I have still lost 8 lb in total, but it is a bit dis heartening - any advice pls ? thanks for reading.

Replies

• ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on what you've lost thus far. Well done.
    As to the 2 lb. gain this week, I wonder if it could just be water weight. Our weight fluctuates somewhat from that.
  • mushroomsontoast
    mushroomsontoast Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Are you female, and if so is your period due?
    "Time of month" causes gains for most women - often several lbs - but it's only fluid & comes straight off the week after :wink:
  • Palain
    Options
    I am a man :)

Thanks for the info, as that will help my wife :)

ammadove - if it is water, how can i get rid of it ? - I am already drinking at least 8 glasses a day.

Thank you both :)
  • ammadove
    ammadove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Could you be eating foods that are heavier in salt content? Like chips, prepackage lunch meats, etc. There is a way to monitor your salt intake here on your daily log. It's listed as sodium. Check and see if yours has been higher in the past few days.
  • barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was thinking along the lines of the previous post...salt? I find when I've eaten a lot of salty things I gain. If you have been eating a lot of salt, try increasing your water for a day or two to flush all the salt out. See if that helps.
  • Palain
    Options
    thanks ammadove, will keep my eye on that.

and thank you barbz2119 :)
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If you are a woman I can 100% tell you its probably hormones. My weight goes up the week of ovulation and the week of period. and yes 8 lbs in 3 weeks is more than you should lose anyway. Your body is just trying to adjust by holding onto water. Our bodies tend to panic sometimes when it perceives a loss. Dont worry about every up and down of a few pounds, it will all balance out.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you weight/measure all your food?

You are either under estimating calories, or have water retention ..

I would suggest weighing yourself three times a week, at the same time, and take a weekly average to account for fluctuations...

for example this week I was 174, 172.8 and 173.1 for an average of 170.3 ....so you can see over course of a week my weight fluctuated +/- 1 pound....

I then use the weekly average to compare against past weeks..as long as the average is going in direction I want, then I am good..
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 8 pounds in the past three weeks, then you are doing GREAT!! Don't worry about a couple of pounds unless it happens a lot.
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Body weight will naturally vary within about 2 to 4 lbs depending on your weight. THis can be week to week or day to day even. What you should be watching is long term trend. And if you dropped 8lbs in 3 weeks it is likely that this is just that normal variance. I dropped 1.3 lbs since yesterday, tomorrow I will probably gain .8 to 1 lb just because of the natural flow of things.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunately pretty common. Weight fluxuates due to all kinds of reasons. Keep doing what you are doing. As long as you are eating at a deficit you'll lose the weight. Probably next week you'll have a big number.
  • shrimpydoo
    shrimpydoo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately this just happens sometimes, and it happens even if we exercise exactly the same, consume the exact same foods & water. I think our bodies just 'recalculate or correct' themselves sometimes. I've learned when this happens to celebrate non-scale victories such as making the right choices, exercising more than ever, saying 'no' to that piece of cheesecake, and remain positive. Keep this up, don't let the small gain get you down, and before long you'll be more than surprised at the scale. In 9 months since I've been logging and in control of my eating/health, I've gained 4 times and a few weeks stayed the same, but overall down 39 pounds. I know it's tough when you expect to 'see' less of yourself and you see this gain staring at you in the face... hang in. It's all good!
  • stackhead
    stackhead Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. My weight goes in peaks and troughs.

I wouldn't start looking at making changes until you've gained twice in a row (i'm talking weekly WI not daily) then it's something more than your body being tricksy.
  • calmlywilde
    calmlywilde Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you have lost 8lb in 3 weeks (or was it 10lb in two weeks minus this week's 2lb gain?) your body might be holding water while it figures out what the hell is going on!

I often get a pause/mini-plateau/gain before I have a big drop. My weightloss normally goes -0.5,-0.5,-0, +0.5,-3.5,-0.5 etc rather than -0.5,-0.5, -0.5...

If you are carb sensitive (I am) an increase can cause water retention.

I also get a gain for a week or so if I increase workout intensity. It goes away in a few days. Something to do with muscles needing water for recovery - there are plenty of threads on here about it ;)

Congrats on coming this far though! Don't let one week upset the applecart, keep up the great work!
  • Dr1nkbleachndye
    Dr1nkbleachndye Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Water Weight. Drink a lot of water over the next few days, and watch the scale go down. When I say a lot I mean over 100oz a day
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    ...for example this week I was 174, 172.8 and 173.1 for an average of 170.3 ....

:huh: Fuzzy math?

:laugh: :laugh: My thoughts exactly!

Average there poster is 173.3 for those 3 weigh ins :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Either poop or water weight. Don't freak out. There's a normal fluctuation of weight that happens on a daily basis.
  • smoootka
    smoootka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are you female, and if so is your period due?
    "Time of month" causes gains for most women - often several lbs - but it's only fluid & comes straight off the week after :wink:

yepp.. gotta love TOM... -.-
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me... what I did was drink my water everyday and I watched my sodium because it was off the charts most days even thought I was eatin at or under my calorie goal. I feel that sodium not only makes me retain water.. I think it slows down my weight loss overall.
  • AubieMae
    Options
    Our weight can fluctuate up to 4 lbs. I know it sounds crazy and it took me quite some time to wrap my mind around it. Weight Watchers recognizes this, too, and they allow 2 lbs. on either side of the goal weight and still consider the person on target. I know it can be very disheartening. I stopped weighing myself for awhile because it would send me into such a blue mood. Now, I am accepting it for what it is. Oh...it took me just about the entire year to accept it, though. :noway:
This discussion has been closed.