Ideas for Oatmeal Toppings?

Options
124»

Replies

• WhyDelilah79
    WhyDelilah79 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've never made oats that wasn't from a packet of instant microwave ones. I had been planning on trying to make some today as I had time, but it turned out my boyfriend had fed the rolled oats I'd got to my chickens. :-/
    Anyway, what are the best oats to get? Can I microwave them?
  • FranceyPants
    FranceyPants Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i like chopped apple, walnuts and cinnamon

that sounds awesome, trying that tomorrow :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    cinnamon, raisins, chopped apples/bananas/strawberries etc. the sky's the limit!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    a teaspoon of splenda and a tablespoon of flax seed oil. My fave meal of the day .
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Mine, I have
    50g rolled oats,
    30g sultanas
    1Tbs flax seed
    1Tbs chia seed
    1 Cup of soy milk.
    Mix, refrigerate over night.
    Cook in the morning.
  • runlilyrun
    Options
    I had mine with some stewed apple and caramel sauce this morning :D
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    A little 'real' maple syrup is great with oatmeal!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've never made oats that wasn't from a packet of instant microwave ones. I had been planning on trying to make some today as I had time, but it turned out my boyfriend had fed the rolled oats I'd got to my chickens. :-/
    Anyway, what are the best oats to get? Can I microwave them?

Steel cut oats are higher in protein, and I think they have more flavor. Plus the texture is nubbly, which I like--don't like the pasty regular oatmeal. You can microwave them but I'm something of a purist and believe that slow cooking is the best way. A lot of people soak them for eight hours or so, dump off the water (to get rid of some of the phytic acid) and then add the cooking water and slow cook them in a crock pot. Slow cooking helps to break down the plant lectins. Some scientists feel that the large amount of phytic acid and plant lectins in grain make them not so desirable as a food because of the effect that they have on digestion and the body. But this method of soaking and cooking helps to counteract those effects. I find them much more digestible. Regular oatmeal invariably gives me heartburn but I seem to digest slow-cooked steel-cut oats just fine. :smile: