Seriously, how can I look like this

Options

Replies

• brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    cant really see the rest of your body but it seems that you are pretty thin. that could just be where your body stores its fat. when you work out, you cant control where the fat is burned from.

i have the same issue. ive been on this for 175 days or so and I have lost 25 pounds and my waist has gone from a size 38 to a size 30. ive been on a diet of 2500 calories and have stayed within my goals (or close to it most of the time). my stomach hasnt really got any smaller. im starting to come to the realization that my stomach probably wont be getting any smaller.

my stomach being my main focus (besides losing weight) im starting to not feel like working out as much or keep my eating as strict as i have been up to this point.

going to the doctor wouldnt hurt. whether there is something medically going on with you or not, im sure you would feel better expressing your concerns and at the very least you would know that you are healthy, and your doctor might even have some useful advice for you.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It could. E where your body stores fat and the muscles there also need some work. It could be something your OBGYN needs to check out.

When I turned 40 I started noticing my belly looking bigger and hard, thought it was constipation, upped fiber, water, etc.. For a while I figured it was my age. But it Kept getting worse, turns out it was a fibroid tumor the size of a honeydew melon, the doctor said it was the size of. 5 month pregnancy.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    See your doctor just to be sure its nothing gynae, bloated stomach can be a symptom of a couple of things, but I used to look ( and get asked if I was) pregnant, I cut out bread and pasta and have seen a massive difference.

I cut it out because it was so calorific and I started here on 1200 a day so wasn't worth the cals but noticed a change straight away - then when I ate some my stomach bloated straight away so have kept away since and no longer get the horrible bloating
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can also eat things and bloat like that.

Your stomach does not look "fat" to me at all. It looks more like bloat/distention, which could be medical or related to diet.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Some food intolerances can cause bloating and abdominal distension. Go to the doctor, ask about options, and if you don't like the answers you get, do an elimination diet (but do it properly) where you eliminate common allergens and then introduce them back into your diet one week at a time. You can find the elimination diet regimen pretty easily online.

Most gynos offer that test. Don't be offended by the offer.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Definitely get to a good gyno and get it checked out -- my friend and her sister both have fybroid cysts that make them look pregnant - although slender everywhere else. Always best to rule these things out before working on cores etc.

^^^ This. I also agree with the posters that say your belly doesn't look fat but rather bloated/distended. I know a young lady (early twenties at the time) that had a 12 pound cyst, that's rare, but these things do happen.
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Definitely, see a doctor. I have a similar problem, but I know the cause of it - I have a hernia! Seriously it looks like I am pregnant because it's round and firm like a baby belly! Drives me crazy because I know I have lost 45 lbs in the last 6 months, and you can tell if you look at my face (not my picture, I need to update it!), arms, etc, but when I look in the mirror, all I can see is that I haven't lost anything in the middle. Which isn't really true either as my gym pants will fall off if I don't use pins, but it doesn't LOOK like I have lost anything. So, see a doctor, rule out all these other things.
  • amie709
    amie709 Posts: 99
    Options
    Okay, here's my general suggestion-want something more specific message me:

Losing a belly is tricky. If you have too much body fat to your liking then you need to lose it. If your weight is fine but you have too much belly fat then that is more tricky but not impossible. And forget doing crunches and core work to get rid of it-that just means that you will have great abs UNDER the fat!!

But, what can help is building muscle. Muscle is active tissue. If you build more muscle in your body while keeping with healthy eating at a healthy calorie deficit-you will start to lose the belly fat. Basically, you feed your body, you work your body, your body builds muscle and the muscle helps you get rid of the fat. Lifting weights is an awesome way to do this. And NO you will NOT get bulky from lifting weights!!
  • Baba_Roxy
    Baba_Roxy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had a very similar problem, and after 3 years of suffering, I found out I had Celiac Disease; a gluten allergy! Honestly, after two months of no gluten, I saw extreme difference. And these days, after a full year of being gluten free, I feel a million times better.

I'm not saying it's this exactly, but everyone is right in advising you to see a doctor. My mom found out, after having the same tummy issues, that she's allergic to gluten, dairy AND chicken eggs! Allergies can cause these issues, on top of various other ones. But like so many people said in here, so many medical problems that we don't always see readily can cause weird things within our bodies!

Also, you are adorable!!! I hope you know that!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and this is d*mn near the only place I really carry weight. Have been asked if I'm pregnant more than 3x in the last 5 years, and am the butt of jokes when I am and am not around. It's annoying, but I know how you feel. Something to get checked out.

Disclaimer: I don't have PCOS and my fat is still pretty much all over lol. So no firsthand experience.

But yeah the PCOS thing came to mind, as I know a lot of apple shaped ladies who are basically like a way bigger version of the OP's body type and all of them happen to have PCOS.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Try paleo diet for 1 month...it is very restrictive but after about a week you realize that it's not that hard.
    Or if you can't do 100% paleo, eliminate carbs all together.

Eliminate carbs all together? No vegetables? Sounds effed up.
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have this body type too. My grandma who had born 11 children was a very small and delicate woman but sported a huge belly over twig-like legs! She almost looked like a cartoon character. And I look like her! I'd rather be different but that's me and that's life! I am not a model but who cares? Do I need to be perfect to be happy? NOT AT ALL!
    We have only one life and no time to lose on things that can't be changed. Count your blessings and be happy! Life loves people that love life!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    In your profile you mention you were really underweight, at 35 kg (77 lbs), but then recovered to a healthy weight which were you happy about.. When did you get down to 35 kg (77 lbs)? If you suffered from an ED as a teenager and lost that much weight, you likely atrophied your stomach muscles so significantly that the extra fat you are holding reshaped your belly to what it is now.
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Besides the seeing a doctor part, I would suggest reducing flour/gluten/sugar and see if improves.

I can drink a couple beers and eat a sandwich on white bread and gain 6 lbs and 3"+ inches of belly overnight! I haven't figured out yet if it's intolerance as in food allergies, or insulin resistance causing water bloat. All I know is if I stick to meat+fish+veggies+some dairy(no rice, pasta, bread, beer, potato) - I flatten out.

Definitely get medical issues ruled out though.

Don't beat yourself up..... you are adorable!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I have this body type too. My grandma who had born 11 children was a very small and delicate woman but sported a huge belly over twig-like legs! She almost looked like a cartoon character. And I look like her! I'd rather be different but that's me and that's life! I am not a model but who cares? Do I need to be perfect to be happy? NOT AT ALL!
    We have only one life and no time to lose on things that can't be changed. Count your blessings and be happy! Life loves people that love life!
    Right on, Suzanne! I'll never be shaped like the models I've seen in magazines, ever. But loving life is something I do quite well :))
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    My stomach is SERIOUSLY bigger than the rest of my body. The rest of me is actually alright except my huge belly! I don't drink, I don't eat much sugar (well in the last week I have because I feel so horrible, if I eat healthily and look like this I may as well eat rubbish and enjoy it), normally just a healthy diet with lots of fruit and veg! No allergies, not on my period (when I am it gets worse) and NOT pregnant thank you (I have been told this many times, my mum being one of those people. I'm not) what do I do?

EDIT I don't know how to post pictures otherwise I will! For now if you look in my pictures it is there - no idea why it's upside down but whatever

Just get into the habit of pulling it in. :) and do some core exercises to pull those abdominals back into line.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    The likely causes have been covered, here are a couple very unlikely ones:

Do you eat extremely little protein? I'm talking very low amounts over several months/years. There is a type of malnourishment that can cause distended belly, but I have only seen it in pictures from famine ridden regions in Africa.

It could be a benign tumor. An old co-worker of mine had an abdominal tumor that made her look pregnant. It kinda crept up on her over the course of 18 months or so. She got it removed and all is well.

ETA:..assuming that all is well on the health front, you could always consider corset training. Definitely check with a Dr. first, though.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    The likely causes have been covered, here are a couple very unlikely ones:

Do you eat extremely little protein? I'm talking very low amounts over several months/years. There is a type of malnourishment that can cause distended belly, but I have only seen it in pictures from famine ridden regions in Africa.

It could be a benign tumor. An old co-worker of mine had an abdominal tumor that made her look pregnant. It kinda crept up on her over the course of 18 months or so. She got it removed and all is well.

I think that's beriberi, a vitamin b deficiency, and they have stick thin arms and legs and huge swollen belly. but their puku buttons stick out like turkey timers.

This tummy looks like it has its share of fat on it, but that also it is being stuck out. I don't believe mothers teach their daughters to hold their tummies in any more.

OP - it's a pelvic tilt as much as anything. In my day your posture would have been called a 'sway back' - and it would have been trained out of the child. Tilt the pelvis back a little, and then hold the tummy in the rest of the way with tummy muscles. If you persist in this, doing it firmly whenever you think of it, pull in hard, hold for five, do this 5 times - and then pulse for 30 seconds, you'll have a result. :)
  • iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are you on birth control? My belly did that when I was on Mirena. It went away as soon as I had it removed.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, my belly was flat and tight even after 3 kids, then all of the sudden once I hit 39, I have been to many Dr.s about it (I'm skinny everywhere else) and they all say it's my age once a woman hits 40, how old are you? Oh and I would go to the Dr. to make sure nothing is wrong.

I'm 19:( and I did go to her and she told me people are fat because they eat too much and kept asking me to do a chlamydia test. I haven't been back

find another doctor. Seriously. This one wasn't listening to you. :)