2»

Replies

• JustJennie13
    Options
    I am officially happy!!! Thanks ladies! :glasses:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    John Foreyt, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston and an expert on weight management says...

4. what is the lowest, yet still safe, calorie level I can drop to when I'm trying to lose weight?

"Women should not consume less than 1,200 calories a day. In fact, a diet below 1,000 calories a day (called a very low-calorie diet or VLCD) increases your risk for gallstones and heart problems and should be followed only by obese people under a doctor's supervision. While you can drop to 1,200 calories per day and survive, doing so is not a smart idea. Going for a bare-minimum caloric intake may yield quick results, but it also can leave you listless and unable to exercise (key to keeping the pounds off), and may lead to muscle loss and a slowing of your metabolism. Even if you're careful about what you eat, a daily intake of 1,200 calories can shortchange you on important nutrients such as calcium and folate.
    Interesting that the word used was CONSUME and not NET...(and map only objects if you eat less than 1200, not net less than 1200... yet 1200 NET is the mantra on here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My family and friends consider me skinny AND fit. (I have very small bone structure) And it begins as a "diet"-I mean lets face it-if you are restricting your calories and eating at a deficit-its a diet (don't know why so many people fear the word. However, if you learn portion control and healthy habits along the way, it hopefully becomes a lifestyle.

good luck to you.
    I also believe it begins as a diet.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thanks. :smile:
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about this website. It's calculated that my BMR is 870 (the scoobie calculator and other calculators have always put it at around 1240) and it says to lose weight moderately I need to eat 1044 calories (clearly under the recommended 1200 calories) and to gain weight I would only have to eat 1392, whereas in reality I eat between 1300 and 1400 every day and lose plenty. Most interestingly though on top of the page where it calculates my BMI, it came up with 2069 calories to maintain.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    See I am the opposite. I am still heavy but I have a crap ton of endurance. :flowerforyou: :laugh:
    To be fair, under this layer of fat I have some serious muscles. If I can just manage to lose at least another 50-60lbs I will be cut. I go to the gym 6 days a week, 2-3 hour sessions and burn usually 700-1300 HRM calories a day for almost 3 continuous years now.

I agree though. You NEED food to live. Too little- you wont have energy and maybe even get sick, too much- you gain weight. Thats why I have never and will never go below a 1600 cal a day diet. I am 1800 calories now, but you know, I burn a lot of it. If I am hungry, I eat more. Simple as that. :)

Internet BMR and TDEE calculators are not that accurate. They can "estimate" around what that calories should be based on people of your size but there are too many variables to be accurate. Mine said something like 2600 but after much trial and error mine is around 2k to maintain my weight. Just a side note
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You have to do what works for you and consult with health professionals to make sure you are staying healthy at the number of calories that you consume.

As the title says, "it's a lifestyle". A way of living for me from now on, one that I will hopefully be able to maintain for the rest of my life.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Mine is telling me I need less than 1200 to lose.

I knew this, but again, blows the theory no one needs to eat less than 1200 calories!

I have the same issue - less than 1200 per day to maintain. I can add calories by exercising but... wish I was taller!!!! I know I can gain very easy as a few things a day adds up to 500 calories and voila - a pound here, a pound there and the clothes don't fit!! Five extra lbs is apx 5% of my weight and this makes clothes tight.
  • JustJennie13
    Options
    My family and friends consider me skinny AND fit. (I have very small bone structure) And it begins as a "diet"-I mean lets face it-if you are restricting your calories and eating at a deficit-its a diet (don't know why so many people fear the word. However, if you learn portion control and healthy habits along the way, it hopefully becomes a lifestyle.

good luck to you.
    I also believe it begins as a diet.

The "skinny" on 1200 NET suggestion... I talked to the doctor again (yep, been there a lot lately due to an ulcer) Medically speaking it is not healthy to CONSUME less than 1200. When I asked her about eating back the calories burned her statement was this.... when you become more active your body will let you know if you need to replace those. If you are hungry have another healthy snack, make sure you are correctly accounting for your calories (measure your food), and if you are working out and NET less than 1200 but don't feel hungry don't worry about it. Now of course this suggestion could wreak havoc on a habitual snacker that is just looking for the green light to eat. So if that is you try an 8 oz glass of water. If you still feel like your stomach could eat your esophagus... grab and apple, some celery sticks, or eat some eggs (whatever your calorie count can handle). Due to the emphasis on NET I was freaking out about not getting enough calories. I did not feel like I could eat anymore!!! I do the 6 small meals/snacks a day. Some say this boosts metabolism, some disagree; all I can say is that it works for ME.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Wonderful advice. I made a similar mistake in the beginning. 1200 calories a day and exercising. NOT eating them back. Was very fatigued and unhappy. I have since then seen a nutritionist, upped my calories, as well as what foods to really consume and workouts to do to do this the best and healthiest way.

thank you for sharing this! I hope this finds someone in a similar boat.
This discussion has been closed.