Do Carbs Really Matter?

Options
In the end, isn't it just calories in calories out? Will counting carbs benefit me in anyway?
(This just popped in my head after my family announced that it was donut time again and bought about a dozen of Krispy Kreme Krispy Skremes for Halloween--I automatically plan on eating about half that box because I know there is no way I can hold back).

Replies

• donewithmyself
    Options
    BUMP
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    To me? Yes,but only because I have to manage my carbs for medical reasons,and not doing so causes me to pack on weight like crazy. However, I have heard time and time again that counting carbs isn't necessary if you don't have a medical need to do so. I don't actually KNOW though. haha
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    for the most part yes, its just cals in vs cals out

for health, no
    for what the body chooses to keep vs burn fat/muscle, no

i personally like to hit minimums on my fat and protein intake everyday

enjoy those donuts =D
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    FOR ME, limiting my carbs and upping my fat intake led to dropping 20ish lbs since the end of July, after not being able to lose weight for months. For others, it doesn't matter what the carb intake is.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    It's not even about using the search function. Just scroll through 1 or 2 pages. These are just from today.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1110992-are-carbs-evil?page=1#posts-17181400

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1110903-limit-carbs

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1107114-are-carbs-bad

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1109982-carbs

With that said l, eating half a box of donuts just shows lack of self control.

yeah, it's a subject that comes up like every 4 hours on here and has been discussed ad nauseum.
    search function is your friend
  • toniretman
    toniretman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just seen a dietitian 2 weeks ago. She told me cardio isn't as good as what we thought, even though it's still very good for your heart. She told me weight training was the best way to go along with carb counting. I personally already count carbs cuz I'm diabetic. So on average she says cut the carbs down 100 and up the healthy fats, do more resistance. It's been 2 weeks, I've cut my cardio in half, upped weight training, and am eating 100 carbs or less (keep in mind before I was seeing her I was eating like 130-170 carbs) and have not noticed anything. She told me to eat 50-75 carbs and to make sure I eat more healthy fats.
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    No.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't matter unless you have some sort of metabolic disorder. There are several disorders that are fairly common in women which can make it harder to lose weight unless you cut carbs. If you don't have a disorder like that, carbs are fine :)

I love my carbs. I've lost weight and gotten healthy while still eating all my favorite foods. It's definitely calories in v. calories out.

One thing I will say though, is that cutting carbs can help you lose water weight (this is often why people praise low-carb diets; they lose 5lb the first week and don't realize that that's just water weight which they'll gain right back when they eat carbs again). If I have a photoshoot or show coming up, I cut carbs for a couple of weeks beforehand and it definitely does help me *look* leaner. This is not to be confused with actually losing more fat.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It pretty much is.. You can eat bacon and doughnuts every day.. If you're in a caloric deficit on a day to day basis, you will lose weight.. However, that's not the smartest thing to do because of your health... You should eat as clean and as healthy as you can.. You should stick with good carbs most of the time, every now and then a doughnut is not gonna harm you .. Carbs are fuel for your body, more so important if you're a very active person... However, all macro nutrients are important too.. Hope this helps
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Yes carbs matter!

Some nice bread or pasta the night before a big workout helps you hit it harder the next day.

Complex carbs are great for recovery too.

Hit your fat and protein minimums, but don't forget your carbs!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    No, it is not just calories in, calories out. It is way more complicated than that.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the threads about it, but I think the deal with carbs is just an insulin thing. If you have a problem with it (and many folks do in the US at least - you don't have to be full-blown diabetic), the metabolism of insulin promotes more fat.

I have a problem with it, and I think you usually notice that there's a problem. If you have a huge sweet tooth, it could be a sign. It's simple to tell, though: Eat like a diabetic for a couple of weeks and see if a lightbulb goes on. It'll feel very different. And you could start losing weight quickly. If it doesn't change anything, you most likely don't have the issue(s). Simple :)
  • leticia165
    Options
    Although carbs are important I still try to limit my intake. I did the Atkins life style for several years and the pounds stayed off. I was able to eat meat, fat, bacon, oils and lots of lower carb vegetables. It's hard to stay off the bad carbs but the results are great.
  • swhiteism
    swhiteism Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't care about counting carbs. I love carbs and eat them everyday, and I continue to lose weight. I will maybe consider limiting my carbs if I hit a serious plateau, but I'm not going to deprive myself from the foods I love if simply eating a calorie deficit works for me.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the threads about it, but I think the deal with carbs is just an insulin thing. If you have a problem with it (and many folks do in the US at least - you don't have to be full-blown diabetic), the metabolism of insulin promotes more fat.

I have a problem with it, and I think you usually notice that there's a problem. If you have a huge sweet tooth, it could be a sign. It's simple to tell, though: Eat like a diabetic for a couple of weeks and see if a lightbulb goes on. It'll feel very different. And you could start losing weight quickly. If it doesn't change anything, you most likely don't have the issue(s). Simple :)

Excellent post.
    I wish I'd read something like this 6 months ago when I first started here on MFP. I kept reading posts where people talked like it's such a rare thing that it never occurred to me that this was my problem. :noway: So there I am, eating my healthy whole grains & healthy fruits :laugh: :sick: There I was with a casual blood sugar of 266mg/dl discovered during routine bloodwork 'cause I was feeling so crappy.

The point is, if you have a family history of blood sugar dysregulation or can't seem to stop eating, feel full, lose weight despite working out regularly, etc. then definitely try cutting the carbs and see how you feel.

It's weird though, I had these issues for so long and it comes on so slowly (it can take years) that I had no idea I was abnormal. Blood sugar regulation breaks down slowly in the case of T2 :ohwell:

I'm VLC and doing really well now though! :drinker:
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    the only thing I find wrong with carbs is it takes lots of calories worth to feel full.

EG I would be quite happy to eat four slices of toast with butter and jam. Maybe six. But stopping at two? Can't even consider it.

So I avoid bread entirely.

I eat rice and cornflakes and such though. Just eat what you want to eat.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    In the end, isn't it just calories in calories out? Will counting carbs benefit me in anyway?
    (This just popped in my head after my family announced that it was donut time again and bought about a dozen of Krispy Kreme Krispy Skremes for Halloween--I automatically plan on eating about half that box because I know there is no way I can hold back).

i only track fats and protein. my carb intake is irrelevant for me to know (however, by knowing my calories and fats and protein i can always easily calculate my carb intake if i want to).

weight loss is about calories in and calories out.
    nutrition is about micronutrients and macronutrients
    fitness is about exercise (cardio and strength training) and for some people, flexibility (such as yoga)

also OP, why do you want to be 92lbs? is that a healthy weight for your height/age? please don't fall into a self-image trap that leads to EDs that can take a long time to claw your way out from...
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Does the same apply to sugar and fat? I've been stuck at the same weight for a while and wondering if my problem is that I'm eating the wrong kinds of sugar (from rice, pasta, bread), carbs (same sources) and fat (meat, butter, oil) rather than from good sources like fruits, beans, olives? I find it difficult to get enough calories when I'm eating healthy.