I am a Grandma..and yeah I don't take any crap

Options

Replies

• Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    All of my grandparents were dead by the time I was of age to remember. So I don't remember jack about my grandparents (besides a thing from here and there and things my parents/siblings tell me).

But I am an Uncle. I think I'm a terrible uncle because I tend to HATE kids (except my nieces and nephews). I currently live with my nephew. I feed him sugary stuff, I feed him chocolates, I feed him ice cream. I feed him everything.

And I will be damned if I allow somebody on the internet tell him or me to stop doing that to him. He is an amazing kid with amazing relationship with his food. He eats his home cooked food (after some pouting which is typical of kids) and THEN he is allowed junk food. We don't want to deny him junk food only to discover that when he is a grown up, he will discover a new taste and not know what is moderation.

FFS, not taking crap doesn't mean you teach your kids your own insecurities.

PS. His mother don't bake so I am learning to make cookies so he can have that sense of grandma cookies. My cookies might not be good but my nephew WILL know what its all about.

Sounds like a pretty amazing uncle to me:)
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Oh I can't put this on facebook but - I am a Grandmother, and NO it does not mean I am a pushover or a feeder, I do not feed my Grandbaby crap or junk, I do not let her get away with things, I do not give her sweets and rubbish, I actually know that love is nothing to do with food and lots to do with time, interest and care. I care what she eats, I care how she behaves, I care how she learns, how she sees the world and I do not let her get away with bad behaviour, she loves me, loves me because I love her, and not because I let her eat sugary or fatty junk and not because I let her behave how she likes or do what she wants.

I am not most peoples idea of a Grandma and I do not propose to ever fit into that mold.

I am a Grandma and I am proud

Tell me about YOUR Grandma

Frankly you sould a little angry to me. What is really going on?
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    All of my grandparents were dead by the time I was of age to remember. So I don't remember jack about my grandparents (besides a thing from here and there and things my parents/siblings tell me).

But I am an Uncle. I think I'm a terrible uncle because I tend to HATE kids (except my nieces and nephews). I currently live with my nephew. I feed him sugary stuff, I feed him chocolates, I feed him ice cream. I feed him everything.

And I will be damned if I allow somebody on the internet tell him or me to stop doing that to him. He is an amazing kid with amazing relationship with his food. He eats his home cooked food (after some pouting which is typical of kids) and THEN he is allowed junk food. We don't want to deny him junk food only to discover that when he is a grown up, he will discover a new taste and not know what is moderation.

FFS, not taking crap doesn't mean you teach your kids your own insecurities.

PS. His mother don't bake so I am learning to make cookies so he can have that sense of grandma cookies. My cookies might not be good but my nephew WILL know what its all about.

UUUMMMM not exactly sure why you are so angry at me

But have a lovely day and i am glad you love your nephew, I was not telling anyone what to do, I was saying what I do...that is different, and I dont have any issues about food...I just wanted to point out that not all grandmothers feed their grandchildren sweets and junk and let them behave how they like, If you chose to think that is me telling you what to do, then I am really sorry that is how you read it,

Have a super fabulous life
  • karenjoy
    Options
    Oh I can't put this on facebook but - I am a Grandmother, and NO it does not mean I am a pushover or a feeder, I do not feed my Grandbaby crap or junk, I do not let her get away with things, I do not give her sweets and rubbish, I actually know that love is nothing to do with food and lots to do with time, interest and care. I care what she eats, I care how she behaves, I care how she learns, how she sees the world and I do not let her get away with bad behaviour, she loves me, loves me because I love her, and not because I let her eat sugary or fatty junk and not because I let her behave how she likes or do what she wants.

I am not most peoples idea of a Grandma and I do not propose to ever fit into that mold.

I must have typed this in internet code

I am not angry at all
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Well that's good :) enjoy!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options

My same reaction. I was like, "Uh.. what?"
  • karenjoy
    Options
    I am obviously so angry I had no idea lol

How weird

:flowerforyou:
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I would hope that my kids will be grown up enough to raise their own kids by the time they have them.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    wow.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is the greatest woman ever. She has been known to get into physical altercations for her kids and is still ready to scrap to this day. She always speaks her mind and doesn't care if you don't like what you are hearing. She had 8 children, dozens of grandchildren and has taken in any stranger who has needed a family or just a hug. She is seriously my hero.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    My grandmother is the greatest woman ever. She has been known to get into physical altercations for her kids and is still ready to scrap to this day. She always speaks her mind and doesn't care if you don't like what you are hearing. She had 8 children, dozens of grandchildren and has taken in any stranger who has needed a family or just a hug. She is seriously my hero.

Sounds like my mother. She woulda been the most awesomest (yet, strict) grandma ever had she still been alive when her first grand child was born
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    SouthernCountryGirl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my grandparents before I was really at an age to appreciate them or spend time with them. I remember three of them with the fourth passing before my birth. But I am a grandmother myself now. I allow them sweets, if they eat dinner, and in moderation. I too don't tolerate bad behavior. I didn't allow it in my children, I won't allow it in my grandchildren. We have a time out stool in the corner if it's needed. You get 2 chances in the corner. Third time they get a spanking then the time out. I should preface this to say I have the parents permission so I'm not doing anything that they disagree with. I'm sorry if this offends some people out there. I'm 50, I was raised with spankings. I was also raised to respect my elders, say 'yes/no ma'am or sir' and always be polite. In today's society you don't see that much anymore. Most people don't even care about one another. I don't want my grandchildren to grow up like that. They spend a great deal of their time playing outside. Not on machines. Yes, they know how, they have every smart 'thing' there is to have (except a phone lol) as they are only 3 & 5 but they certainly know how to operate one. Still they spend 80% of their time outside. Something I think most kids know nothing about these days and I find that sad.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my grandparents before I was really at an age to appreciate them or spend time with them. I remember three of them with the fourth passing before my birth. But I am a grandmother myself now. I allow them sweets, if they eat dinner, and in moderation. I too don't tolerate bad behavior. I didn't allow it in my children, I won't allow it in my grandchildren. We have a time out stool in the corner if it's needed. You get 2 chances in the corner. Third time they get a spanking then the time out. I should preface this to say I have the parents permission so I'm not doing anything that they disagree with. I'm sorry if this offends some people out there. I'm 50, I was raised with spankings. I was also raised to respect my elders, say 'yes/no ma'am or sir' and always be polite. In today's society you don't see that much anymore. Most people don't even care about one another. I don't want my grandchildren to grow up like that. They spend a great deal of their time playing outside. Not on machines. Yes, they know how, they have every smart 'thing' there is to have (except a phone lol) as they are only 3 & 5 but they certainly know how to operate one. Still they spend 80% of their time outside. Something I think most kids know nothing about these days and I find that sad.

cheers to a good grandma! :)
  • JenAndSome
    Options

Sounds like my mother. She woulda been the most awesomest (yet, strict) grandma ever had she still been alive when her first grand child was born

I'm sorry she's not still around. :flowerforyou: I can't even fathom life without my grandma.

Oh and Happy Birthday.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you think you you need to be another parent to your granddaughter.

I like the idea that my children are learning that different people provide them with different structure and experiences. I also like the idea that they have the opportunity to learn that people can show their love in many different ways. Their grandparents spoil them. Their father and I provide a more structured environment. We all love them and they understand that the treatment they get one place doesn't necessarily extend to another place.

I think it's teaching them valuable life lessons.

That's my family though. I'm glad you're enjoying yours.
  • Nikki_WantsIt
    Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My grandma talks to me about her and my granddads sex life..... Shes weird.
  • Nikki_WantsIt
    Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh and are you snarling at the camera? lol
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Oh and are you snarling at the camera? lol
    No, i think she was about to sneeze:flowerforyou:
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    My grandma talks to me about her and my granddads sex life..... Shes weird.

Ha ha! I have heard way too many stories from my grandma, too. She also gave me my very first nightie.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was the type of person who would speak her mind and tell people if she had an issue. I think were she alive today, she'd rather speak her mind and say screw the people who objected, rather than secretly vent on another website to avoid people that actually know her in case they didn't agree.