Reusing water bottle and plastic risk

Options
2»

Replies

• DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just threw my Nalgene No. 7 in the triangle bottle out...BPA..its not worth the risk. Too bad it was convenient and an excellent design.

I guess I'll be shopping around for a Voss Glass bottle...sighs

Refilling water bottles usually promotes bacterial growth..eww..

The danger with PET and BPA and other assorted plastics is when the bottle gets warm...(ie. sitting in your car etc)..thats when the toxic chemicals leach into your water.

Vive le Canada...they finally got it out there...Good Morning America came out with this a couple of weeks ago and I caved...but now that Canada is finally agreeing....my Nalgene is out!

http://www.idealbite.com/tiplibrary/archives/bottled_up

The Bite
    It used to be practically a requirement for the eco-conscious urbanite to lug water everywhere in a colorful hard-plastic bottle. Studies now show these and other bottles can leach potentially toxic chemicals. Choose stainless steel or glass instead.
    The Benefits

* Polycarbonate plastic (made by Nalgene and other companies) leaches bisphenol-A, a chemical linked to increased risk of birth defects, miscarriage and prostate cancer. Scratches in the plastic, harsh detergents and boiling liquids exacerbate the leaching.
    * With no known health hazards, HDPE (soft, opaque #2 plastic) may be a better choice.
    * Stainless steel doesn’t react or leach, so it’s good for water and other beverages. Aluminum is trickier because the metal itself may be neurotoxic so it usually has a coating.
    * Glass is non-reactive, dishwasher safe—and free if you reuse a juice bottle with a tight fitting lid. (And if you’re a klutz, there are cute covers to protect them).