When does that negative voice inside our heads shut up?

Options

Replies

• thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Have you read, The Oatmeal - Why I run? http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running - It's a cute little comic that talks exactly about this. The voice you hear, the negativity, it will never really go away. It's up to you to make it shut up. And every time it tries to talk to you, just tell it to go away. Don't listen to it.

The Oatmeal is awesome. He should sell a running shirt with the Blerch on the back of it.

This is the best running comic I've ever seen and ALL of it is true.

And he does sell the Blerch shirt, actually :) I have one. http://theoatmeal.com/blog/blerch_shirts
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It pretty much shuts up when I focus on something else. Fortunately, there are a lot of other things to do. I'm not thinking negative thoughts when I'm exercising, knitting, working, or painting. The worst time for me is 3 am, when I wake up and I don't want to wake my husband up by getting out of bed to do something other than lay there and think.
  • jtdkrowe4
    Options
    You know...I still have them. I have been a recent positive thinker, happy self-esteem person since July. And I still have my moments. But I just beat them down and make sure that the positivie person I am now...beats the negative nancy into submission. LOL!! We all have our days, we all have our downfalls. It is how we combat them that matters. You can fall, just don't let it make you fail.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    It doesn't. My positive voice that says "OMG girl, you looked hot in them jeans last night!" just talks over it. :-D
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me it NEVER stopped. I am always telling myself to give up and that it isn't worth it anymore. I find excuses to say *kitten* it and over eat. I find excuses to say *kitten* it and skip my work outs. All from time to time. In the end, I continue doing what I am doing and so far have always found my way to get back on track. I made a goal in 2011 and I intend on achieving that goal. 25 pounds left to go.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    It never shuts up. On every run the voice tells me how much easier it would be to just stop, that it would be so much nicer sat on the couch with re-runs of Top Gear and a box of cookies.

I drown it out with Rage Against the Machine and running faster/lifting more.
  • Timmmy40
    Timmmy40 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Never Shuts Up!! I tell him to shut up. I am doing it and it usually goes away. Just have to fight the daily voice.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    On almost every long run, I'm trying to talk myself OUT of going the whole distance for the first 2-3 miles. And, I've had plenty of running "success". Winning my age group in local 5k races...I just placed 4th in my age group at a half marathon (out of 300 ladies m age)....was in the top 9% of all half marathon finishers. I don't know that the voice ever goes away, but eventually it just gets drowned out by the voice that tells you how awesome running is!!
  • jpolinisse
    jpolinisse Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    After about 15 minutes, and when the right song comes up on my play list.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    When you stop caring. And that goes for anything not just fitness.
  • RenshiG
    RenshiG Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Katrina_vw91
    Katrina_vw91 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If the negative voices get too loud, take your positive voices and scream at the negatives to STFU!! :D Fight the good fight.

Or listen to music haha, thats what helps me.
  • Cazco29
    Cazco29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't think it ever will. It's just moved to the back row instead of being right up front so I can't hear it as loudly.

^^ This...
    except many days, it pushes to the front, and then I need to find ways to put it back into its place.

^^ yep, both of these...
    I use meditation to put that nagging voice back in its place, in the backgound.
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Lately, my bad moods never seem to shut up at all....

It is the fact that I am on furlough from my job due to the government shutdown.

I feel fat and ugly even tough I currently weigh 178.8 lbs and I still wear size 32 inch jeans.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I personally don't think you can ever shut those voices up because you are your own worst enemy right. If it's there once, it'll always be there. The key is to ignore it and prove it that it's wrong.
  • kzakian
    kzakian Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The voice in my head is a real jerk sometimes. You just have to learn to tune it out and keep doing what you're doing.
  • vj2wis
    vj2wis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bumo
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I am close to 18 months and there are still days I fight that battle. It does seem to be getting longer and longer btw the days but I am not sure they will ever completely stop for me as I have been battling for 43 years and only began to really understand things in the last 5 years.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    When you train it to.

Or replace it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    After about 15 minutes, and when the right song comes up on my play list.

Me too! I make sure that just about every song on my play list is one of the right songs.