Foods and Beverages That May Cause Depression.

Options
13»

Replies

• darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A lot of people in this thread are very clearly confusing clinical depression (an actual medical problem) with just being down or sad (an emotional state). While I know many of these posts were in jest (I get depressed when I don't drink my beer/eat my chocolate/have my sex), you're really putting down the reality of people who have to suffer and live with these ailments.

I can't speak to the science behind eliminating wheat/sugar/alcohol/etc. to relieve the symptoms of or cure depression, but if it works for someone then why question it? I would agree that it's a stretch to infer from the psychiatrist telling one person to eliminate these foods to help her depression that these foods cause it, but it's a reasonable inference to draw from this that those foods CAN exacerbate either the illness or the symptoms.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Someone I know who was suffering from depression went to a psychiatrist because she was suffering from depression.

The psychiatrist gave her different anti depressions which didn't work.

He eventually told her to reduce her intake of sugar, wheat, caffeine and alcohol.

My conclusion from this is that excess wheat, sugar, caffeine and alcohol can cause depression.

I get depressed just thinking about not having those things. Oh, and I have clinical depression so I know what it is thank you very much. A good BALANCED diet with indulgences is the best thing for my depression. This included sugar, wheat, and booze. Well, no booze atm because of a medical condition that has me on a restricted diet. In fact, the huge restrictions have made my depression and anxiety WORSE.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    lets see... I have dealt with OCD, severe anxiety, moderate depression and ptsd. I am now happy and no longer have to deal with any of these. I don't have to take meds and I still eat all the foods in the op.

ETA: I have also been free from prescription meds for 4 years. The meds were worse than the actually mental issues.

Yay for you!

I also have OCD (mild), severe anxiety, moderate to severe depression (including suicidal tendencies in the past but not in the last 12ish years), and mild ptsd. I also suffer from guilt associated with my mother's passing and additional anxiety due to medical issues and constant pain.

I take .5mg Ativan twice a day plus meds for my medical issues. The Ativan is actually FOR my medical issue and not my anxiety as it also is a muscle relaxer. However, it does have the nice side effect at helping with the anxiety as well.