Adverse effects from frequent ice cream eating?

Options
Hi,
Recently I'm having a lot of cravings for ice cream (and donuts and chocolates for that matter).

I run long enough to cancel out the calories from the ice cream cones I'd have after the runs, but if I were having them 2x or sometimes 3x a week (1 scoop on a sugar cone), should I be concerned of what these frequent sugar spikes are doing to my pancreas? I don't want to become pre-diabetic, THEN I really will have to seriously limit what I eat, which defeats the purpose of working out so I can indulge in things....a chicken and egg question.

I've never been a big sweets person for years, so this new increase in sugar craving is kind of unsettling. Do I need to alternate between regular and sugar-free ice creams? Or would it be alright as long as I keep exercising?

Thanks.

Replies

• nikkiclaire123
    Options
    i wonder if you are eating enough to keep your blood sugars level. if youve never been a sweet person then these new cravings could be your bodies way of telling you it needs more.

why not just have one ice cream per week. then you settle a craving and dont over do it
  • wareje
    wareje Posts: 42
    Options
    i too am an icecream fiend... lately i've been making protein 'icecream!' so easy and real yummy!
    1scoop protein powder of choice, im an optimum nutrition 100%whey fan due to the awesome blendability ;) and 100g of Greek or natural yogurt; freeze for 2 hours! ill have one every night after dinner comes in at roughly 200cals
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This poor person ate too much ice cream so be warned

ice-cream-costume-500-Ice-Cream-Fancy-Dress-Costume-lgprod.jpg
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Recently I'm having a lot of cravings for ice cream (and donuts and chocolates for that matter).
    I've never been a big sweets person for years, so this new increase in sugar craving is kind of unsettling.

It's just my opinion, but this sounds like addictive behavior to me. If this were any other substance, like alcohol, tobacco, or cocaine, would it be OK to consume as much as you wanted, as long as you slept it off? I believe in moderation and freedom so frankly, it's up to you as to how much of a substance you consume, but if it were me, I would be concerned and would take steps to break this addiction.

Look up the adverse effects of sugar and read about it. And switching to chemically-sweetened sweets is even worse.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    No. Diabetes is caused by being overweight and not getting enough exercise. A normally functioning pancreas can handle plenty of sugar.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I run long enough to cancel out the calories from the ice cream cones I'd have after the runs, but if I were having them 2x or sometimes 3x a week (1 scoop on a sugar cone), should I be concerned of what these frequent sugar spikes are doing to my pancreas? I don't want to become pre-diabetic, THEN I really will have to seriously limit what I eat, which defeats the purpose of working out so I can indulge in things....a chicken and egg question.

I've never been a big sweets person for years, so this new increase in sugar craving is kind of unsettling. Do I need to alternate between regular and sugar-free ice creams? Or would it be alright as long as I keep exercising?

Thanks.

You'd have to go get a check up by a doctor to see whats going on.
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    What my freezer currently looks like. So you already know my opinion.
    20131004_221731_zps005c5712.jpg
    Can I move in?
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For a healthier option, substitute fresh fruit for the ice-cream.
    Your body will thank you for it.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options

I'm jealous of your freezer!
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Me too????????
  • whooter
    whooter Posts: 47
    Options
    The only adverse affect from eating too much ice cream that I know of, is that you might run out of ice cream.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Icecream or gelati is the best post workout snack!! hahah.

Fit it in your day and keep your protein up in your diet and you should be good to go!

Ice cream is the best thing in the entire world :heart:
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i too am an icecream fiend... lately i've been making protein 'icecream!' so easy and real yummy!
    1scoop protein powder of choice, im an optimum nutrition 100%whey fan due to the awesome blendability ;) and 100g of Greek or natural yogurt; freeze for 2 hours! ill have one every night after dinner comes in at roughly 200cals

I love ice cream too. It's a great way to cool down when you live in the South. Thanks for sharing this healthy recipe.
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Me too????????
    Oh my goodness! Adopt me please!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    ? Or would it be alright as long as I keep exercising?

It depends what you mean with "alright". If you mean not gaining weight, that's quite another matter to being healthy.

Running long enough to work off a diet of doughnuts and ice cream does not mean you've somehow miraculously made something unnutritious more nutritious.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

If I was single I would ask you to marry me !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    as long as you under your calorie goal for the day then there is none...now if your cravings lead you to eat over maintenance then you will gain weight and would have a problem...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    <
    Eats ice cream every day. Sometimes twice a day. Lives a very happy ice cream-filled life with no sign of pancreatic issues, diabetes, or weight problem. It fits my calories and macros.

OP, you're not having any adverse health effects and are worried about things you really shouldn't worry about. Your pancreas is fine. If you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic and no doctor has ever said you should be careful about diabetes, then you shouldn't be panicking about Type II diabetes. That's on the rise because people are obese and don't exercise. When you sit in front of the tv, computer, or gaming console all day and eat too much, you get obesity-related illnesses like Type II diabetes. Your ice cream consumption is paltry by comparison and would make me sad.