"The problem with sugar is your problem with sugar"

Options

Replies

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    False, I'm fat and do not believe in food addiction.

Argument destroyed.

OK, we have found one!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Who cares if I am convincing you or not? The purpose of my response was to point out that you make multiple attempts to educate others about addiction and behavioral health, yet you do not fully understand it yourself. You think you understand, but if you truly had the full understanding of addiction and behavioral health, you would see the nonsense in most of your responses.

Again, I think you are incorrect.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    dunning_kruger.png
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

OK, we have found one!

make that two.

i have rolled my eyes every time anyone has ever claimed that food addiction was what made them fat.

at my highest (and this is really embarrassing to admit), i weighed in at 347lbs.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

OK, we have found one!

make that two.

i have rolled my eyes every time anyone has ever claimed that food addiction was what made them fat.

at my highest (and this is really embarrassing to admit), i weighed in at 347lbs.
    I've never been seriously overweight, but I am currently overweight (regardless of my photo) and I don't think food addiction is a thing.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

OK, we have found one!

make that two.

got up to 260 without giving a crap about food. not addicted ever.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i was never ADDICTED to food... i just liked it and didnt care... an addiction, like smoking would have withdrawl symptoms, which i never experienced when moderating my food... i just enjoyed drinking a case of corona beer, eating a few candy bars, and an entire bag of flaming hot cheetos for dinner... addiction? no... careless and lazy? YES!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Why do I love Saturdays??? I wake up to an Apple Fritter AND a lemon filled donut, every Saturday. My husband gets them nice and early for me when they are fresh! Then, later on, I usually have skittles... taste the rainbow... I love skittles!!! My weight loss has not been hindered by my LOVE AFFAIR with sugar!

Oh GOD... and the oreo truffles I made this weekend... yeah... they are already gone...

MMMMMM.... Donuts/pastries on Saturdays and pancakes with sausage and bacon on Sundays is normal at our house.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    i was never ADDICTED to food... i just liked it and didnt care... an addiction, like smoking would have withdrawl symptoms, which i never experienced... i just enjoyed drinking a case of corona beer, eating a few candy bars, and an entire bag of flaming hot cheetos for dinner... addiction? no... careless and lazy? YES!
    I agree to the letter. I was not addicted either. And I know addiction, I smoked for 25 years. When it came to food, I didn't care how much I ate and just made up excuses for not exercising. An attitude that got me to 300lbs.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    Why do I love Saturdays??? I wake up to an Apple Fritter AND a lemon filled donut, every Saturday. My husband gets them nice and early for me when they are fresh! Then, later on, I usually have skittles... taste the rainbow... I love skittles!!! My weight loss has not been hindered by my LOVE AFFAIR with sugar!

Oh GOD... and the oreo truffles I made this weekend... yeah... they are already gone...

MMMMMM.... Donuts/pastries on Saturdays and pancakes with sausage and bacon on Sundays is normal at our house.

thats a triple yummy right there!!! except i swap out the pancakes with busuits and gravy! oh yeah... cant wait for the weekend now!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If you must cut it out because you have a problem with sugar, that is fine. But understand it's not because sugar is evil or poison, it's because of your relationship with it.

nail_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Options
    i was never ADDICTED to food... i just liked it and didnt care... an addiction, like smoking would have withdrawl symptoms, which i never experienced... i just enjoyed drinking a case of corona beer, eating a few candy bars, and an entire bag of flaming hot cheetos for dinner... addiction? no... careless and lazy? YES!
    I agree to the letter. I was not addicted either. And I know addiction, I smoked for 25 years. When it came to food, I didn't care how much I ate and just made up excuses for not exercising. An attitude that got me to 300lbs.

yeah, i smoked for about 18 years, and that was an addiction. when i quit smoking, it was both mental and physical. when i quit shoveling food down my throat in quantities that could feed 3 line backers for the entire day, i actually felt good... no withdrawls what so ever! calling food an addiction is just an excuse, it deflects from the real truth which is fairly simple... over eating and being lazy causes us to be fat... its not an addiction, its a personal / character flaw...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Argument destroyed.

OK, we have found one!

I'm a fat overeater with issues in regards to also being a stress/bored/emotional eater and I don't believe in food addiction in the way people like to push that out.

So now you've found at least 2
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You say this yet you yourself can't even abstain. How would you know if learning moderation is harder when you haven't even shown that you can master abstinence.

I've been mostly doing it for the last 6 months. Trust me, if I kept "bad foods" around the house, I'd probably be eating them more often than not. Sometimes I still fail, so I guess you are right that at least total abstinence hasn't worked. My willpower just isn't that strong.

Bolded: A good definition for moderation.

In fact, your entire reply is an argument for moderation. You don't completely abstain yet you continue to lose weight. That's moderation right there.

You're practicing what you preach against.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    strawman argument is strawman.

controlling hunger is about satiation.

if you eat filling foods all day and meet your micro- and macro-nutrional needs, there is no reason you can't top off your calories at the end of the day with just a handful of Oreos without feeling the need to eat the whole bag. lots of people do just fine following that process (IIFYM).

it's a poor workman who blames his tools.

This is perfect example of someone else not understanding a behavioral addiction to food.

When I sit down and eat 20 Oreo cookies, hunger has absolutely nothing to do with it. I am eating them for pleasure.

I did this just last night - ate a sleeve of Oreos not 2 hours after eating a full dinner of PF Chang's. I did not eat them because I was hungry. I ate them because they tasted good.

It sounds like *you* definitely have a problem with sugar...

...or at least with Oreos.

I've never had P.F. Chang's, but generally when we get Chinese take-out, I stuff myself, have a beer with it, and couldn't possibly eat another bite until the next day. (This is dinner, mind you.) In my life, I have never desired a dessert after eating Chinese food. (A fortune "cookie" doesn't count as dessert, btw.) Chinese is just about my favorite kind of food though...
  • brower47
    Options
    When I think about people I know who have never had a weight problem they usually do not abstain from anything. Overall they eat less and honestly I don't think they spend as much time worried about food. Maybe because they've never had a weight problem, who knows.

I agree with you. In a similar thread I started keeping track of the people who did not think that food behavioral addiction was real vs. those who did, and without exception every single person who did not who had a profile pictures was reasonably fit.

It's anecdotal, but I did see the pattern.

Argument destroyed.

I am also fat and do not believe in food addiction. When I was fatter (clinically obese) I still did not believe in food addiction.
  • CrystalKSU
    CrystalKSU Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to read this article about sugar but a couple of questions...what do all the "IN" and "Bump for later" responses mean?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm going to read this article about sugar but a couple of questions...what do all the "IN" and "Bump for later" responses mean?
    "Bump for later" is people marking the thread so it will appear in their history so they can find it later to read the article.

"In" is probably the people who knew this was going to turn into arguing and want to watch.
  • brower47
    Options

They want it in their feed so that it is easier to find later instead of having to go searching for a thread they might not remember the title to later.