Morbidly obese, Really??

Options
I was just wondering if any of the other guys or girls out there who lift heavy on a regular basis for extended amounts of time have been told by their doctors that they are obese or morbidly obese? My guy was at his doctors recently and that's what he told him. B knows that he eats really healthy and works out 5-6 days of the week but it really bothered him for the doctor to say that. And take it from me he's solid muscle from top to bottom. So is it just a weight to height ratio thing? Do they not take into any consideration the shape you're in?

IMG_4646.jpg

A little blurry I know but it's the most recent without a shirt that I have of him. He's 5'10" 225 lbs.

Replies

• suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    If he's morbidly obese... Well I should already be dead, we'll leave it at that.
  • jewel22887
    Options
    That is the problem with a BMI it doesn't worry about composition just mass.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    His doctor, it seems, is relying solely on BMI and not, you know, actual physical evidence of health.

Granted, I'm not a doctor, but I don't think your friend needs to worry about obesity.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    BMI is grossly inaccurate in people who are muscular.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This is a very important question and I'm glad that you asked it! BMI (body mass index) is a calculation of your height relative to your weight. Your BMI is 28.3, which puts you in the overweight category. A BMI of greater than 30 is considered obese; 25-29.9 is considered overweight; 18.5-24.9 is normal; and less than 18.5 is underweight. BMI is a reliable indicator of body fat, too much of which may increase your risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and numerous other diseases. But BMI does have some limitations when it comes to weight and disease risk assessment. In a very large-framed or muscular person like you, BMI may overestimate body fat. Conversely, BMI may underestimate body fat in a very small-framed person, someone who has very little muscle mass, or a person who carries his or her excess weight mainly around the midsection and has very thin arms and legs (the so called apple shaped body type).

Since there is no adjustment factor for BMI relative to muscle mass and body frame, many experts recommend also measuring waist circumference and often consider other weight-related risk factors including high cholesterol, high blood sugar, family history, smoking and inactivity when assessing risk of obesity-related disease. If you have two or more of the above risk factors, or if your waist is greater than 40 inches (for women, greater than 35 inches), that puts you at higher risk for obesity-related diseases, especially heart disease and diabetes. At 165 pounds, you would most likely benefit from losing just 10 percent of your body weight (about 16.5 pounds), rather than aiming for 135 pounds, which may be unrealistic for your body type. Losing 10 percent of your weight, staying physically active, not smoking and eating a healthy diet that includes lots of fruits and vegetables will go a long way toward keeping you healthy, regardless of where you fall in the BMI chart.

source: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/08/07/bmi.muscular.people.jampolis/
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    That's one thing I don't like about doctors, they go by the numbers on the scale, or some other number. Your sweetheart looks very healthy to me. In fact, he's got mega muscle.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    BMI is strictly a ratio of height and weight. His BMI is 32. Something-which puts him in the "obese" range. Morbidly obese is generally classed as BMI over 40. And yes, it's well known that people with high amounts of lean body mass will fall into overweight/obese ranges on the BMI scale. The vast, vast, vast majority of the population that is 5'10" and weighs 225 will indeed be obese. He is obviously not. BMI should not be the end all and be all of measuring health, but for the vast majority of the population, it's probably a relatively fair guide. Those at either end of the bell curve will be mis measured by this single metric.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    that is an answer who asked a question I just posted the whole answer... :laugh:
    his question "I have a natural extensive amount of muscle mass on all parts of my body plus a broad build, but my height is just 5 feet 4. When I do a BMI calculation having to enter my weight and height, my suggested weight should be around 135 to get a decent reading. I weigh in around 165, and I do need to lose a bit, but not a lot in the belly area. I am 44 years old and was just wondering if the BMI can be adjusted for people with a muscular build with broad shoulders?"
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    If you want to educate the doctor, first I would invest in bodyfat calipers, which cost about $20. I got mine at AccuMeasure:
    http://www.accumeasurefitness.com/

You can use that measurement to figure out ideal weight. This formula comes from Sandra Rosenzweig's Sportfitness for Women (Harper & Row, 1982):

1. Get weight of fat = total body weight times fat percentage.
    2. Get lean body weight = total body weight minus current fat weight.
    3. Get ideal fat weight = desired fat percentage divided by current fat percentage times current weight of fat.
    4. Ideal body weight = lean body weight plus ideal fat weight.

If the doc still says your guy is morbidly obese, I would invest in a new doctor. :-)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I had a company wellness screening where I was told I was overweight. I said "thank you." LOL
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    His doctor needs to see an eye-doctor.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I still have 20kg left to lose, so I'm still very much overweight.

This is how morbidly obese looks on me:

9864143676_c87d62b936_z.jpg

(Sorry, I couldn't find the version of this photo without the text!)
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    If that's morbidly obese, then I'm totally screwed and will never in a million years get in a healthy range. Did the doctor see him without his shirt on? I mean, really...
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming his doctor is not blind, in which case his doctor is a fool.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    He definitely needs a new doctor unless the doc was kidding about it being an ironic thing. I'm not kidding. A doctor who follows only numbers to that kind of crazy extent could kill a person.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I still have 20kg left to lose, so I'm still very much overweight.

This is how morbidly obese looks on me:

9864143676_c87d62b936_z.jpg

(Sorry, I couldn't find the version of this photo without the text!)

You're awesome.
  • ferrytrip
    ferrytrip Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If he's morbidly obese... Well I should already be dead, we'll leave it at that.

Never a truer word was said. My goal is 200 lbs, when I reach it I will still be obese.
    My ideal BMI is 155lbs!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    i hope to be morbidly obese too
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    He's been lifting for a very long time. He was never a skinny guy. Even when we were in high school he was a stockier/solid built guy, but never, ever overweight. I think that's why it bothers him. Me, I've been fat and I know doctors and thier charts are crap. I'm a 5' 2" girl with ginormous boobs. Their chart says the HIGHEST I should weigh is 135 but ideally 115. Right now I weigh about 152, the lowest I've ever been as an adult was 117 when I was 4 months pregnant with my daughter (go figure) and I looked like a stick with boobs, like if the wind blew too hard I might fall over. I'm not meant to weigh only 115 lbs. 145 is my first goal, but I'm thinking 130 is the lowest I will go.
    I was just curious if with other guys who were built similar to him with a similar lifestyle (lifting and healthy eating for a long time now) have been told the same thing. I personally agree that he needs a new doctor.
  • Milica986
    Milica986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Doctor should go back to school again, not to college, but to second grade of high school..... then all over again.
    Or think about some other career. I can't believe he said that!