Morbidly obese, Really??

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    BMI is a population metric.

trying to apply it to individuals can be problematic. this is an example where it is so.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I take it the doctor didn't actually look at him.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Very nice! :bigsmile:

Yeah, tell him his doctor is an idiot and find a new one!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That' one of the reasons BMI is BS.
  • Cae_Troi
    Cae_Troi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The doctor probably calculated his BMI, which takes in account your age, gender, height, and weight. It does not calculate how much muscle you have. The only way you can lower your BMI is by losing weight. I have the same problem as I'm currently at a school that I have to pass a BMI test, but because I have muscle I fail it by a couple points. It's the problem of the BMI and relying on the BMI.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I believe (don't quote me on this) but ACG was told that he's morbidly obese and he's very fit member of MFP too. He simply lifted his shirt and showed doc his 6 pack and said "does this look morbidly obese to you?". The problem is that most doc offices focuses only on BMI which is an extremely flawed health measuring system. Even more if you workout.

Don't worry about it and next time, use body fat % for measuring your health.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    his doctor should be shot and laughed at.
  • FaitheSoler
    FaitheSoler Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like he needs a real doctor.. That one is a wacko !!!!!!!!! Why do doctors even do BMI on someone that is fit and does not need to lose weight..
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    We were just discussing this at work. We have a health screening at work on the 30th. One person passed the BMI part of it last year everyone else was considered overweight or obese. It is clearly not an accurate measurement.

The insurance companies use this as a way to increase our co-pays and premiums.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    If that's morbidly obese, then I'm totally screwed and will never in a million years get in a healthy range. Did the doctor see him without his shirt on? I mean, really...

dittos this
  • Milica986
    Milica986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Maybe "the doctor" is actually a lawyer with a fake doctor diploma :bigsmile:
    If anybody wants, I can calculate your BMI for free. I am that nice.
    Doctors should know to do more than that I suppose!
  • rml_16
    Options
    We were just discussing this at work. We have a health screening at work on the 30th. One person passed the BMI part of it last year everyone else was considered overweight or obese. It is clearly not an accurate measurement.

The insurance companies use this as a way to increase our co-pays and premiums.
    The vast majority of people do not have the kind of muscle the man in the OP has, or that ACG has.

Looking around my office, I don't see very many of us who would pass a BMI test and they are not muscular. They are fat. It's the state of the country these days.

BMI falls off when you take someone who is larger framed and has significantly more muscle than average. Otherwise, it's a pretty good scale. The BMI scale gives a good 40-pound range so it's not like it's trying to fit every person of a certain height into a very narrow definition of healthy. I can weight from 103-141 and be in a healthy BMI zone. For me, 141 is still pretty fat,though I've seen others my height at around that weight who look great.

I was 102 when I was pregnant -- right up to my third trimester -- and looked and was perfectly healthy, even with terrible morning sickness. So to be 103-110 without being pregnant I think is pretty reasonable for me and others with my height and frame.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Or they can do a google search and calculate it themselves for free ...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The doctor probably calculated his BMI, which takes in account your age, gender, height, and weight. It does not calculate how much muscle you have. The only way you can lower your BMI is by losing weight. I have the same problem as I'm currently at a school that I have to pass a BMI test, but because I have muscle I fail it by a couple points. It's the problem of the BMI and relying on the BMI.
    BMI does not take age or gender into account. It's strictly height and weight. It's meant for broad population classification, and was never intended to be a measurement used for individuals. It will never be accurate for that, and the man who created it even said as much.
  • Milica986
    Milica986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Sure! I was joking :smile:
  • Khawel06
    Khawel06 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The doctors look only at height and weight, and all their calculation are based on the BMI. The BMI is flawed because it doesn't account for age, gender or and the amount of muscles.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I don't know about morbidly obese, but it looks to me like he lacks focus. He should get that checked out or he won't accomplish his goals.
  • rml_16
    Options

Sure! I was joking :smile:
    Sorry. I thought you might be. I'm slow on a good day and today is a particularly bad day. lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know about morbidly obese, but it looks to me like he lacks focus. He should get that checked out or he won't accomplish his goals.

Haha! Yes, I was disappointed myself. It's hard to really tell just how fit he is. LOL!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    A little blurry I know but it's the most recent without a shirt that I have of him. He's 5'10" 225 lbs.

Okay, criticism of BMI measurements aside, 5'10" and 225 is not morbidly obese.

Morbid obesity is generally characterized by a BMI greater than 40. At these measurements, his BMI is 32.5. That is obese by BMI standards, not morbidly obese. There is a difference.

And yes, he is obviously one of the rare individuals whose high muscle mass results in a BMI that is not indicative of his body fat. Most of the rest of us, though, are not such special snowflakes.