1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Dude, I read the first two sentences of your rant and was already annoyed.

Consider the following points;
    1. You are a MAN, women on the other hand can sustain 1,200 much easier.
    2. I eat around 1,200 cals a day plus two cheat meals a week. I AM NOT STARVING. I make good choices and am only hungry when I SHOULD BE.
    3. I've lost 20kgs over 2 years and have kept it off for over a year and am now focusing on losing centimeters not kilos, and it's working = sustainable.
    4. I train 4-5 days a week, cardio and weights, and I try not to eat all my calories back. My point? See point 3.
    5. Stop taking yourself so seriously (this point is applicable to lot of people on here).
    6. 1,200 isn't for everyone, but it DOES work and it can be a great option for some people, especially those at the end of their journey.
    7. Blanket statements help no-one, so next time try focusing your rant to a particular audience and not make regular, healthy people look like they have an eating disorder.

K? thanks, bye.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Losing weight slowly leads to lasting weight loss / maintenance.

This is just an urban legend/old wives tale/broscience. Research shows it really doesn't matter. In fact there was a clinical study done where people who lost weight at a faster pace not only lost more but kept it off longer and were not more likely to gain weight than those who lost it slowly.

If you have any clinical trials showing otherwise I will be happy to read them.

Yeah, I don't believe this.

Well too bad because it actually happened in the study. I would link it but im not at my PC right now. In the meanwhile feel free to show me something done under a clinical setting that suggests the opposite.

still don't believe it...lol...
    I would re-post links to the multiple studies that say that but you've seen them here before, I'm pretty sure. You don't believe them, you think they're flawed, you think you know better than peer reviewed research and the medical community. Right?

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Dude, I read the first two sentences of your rant and was already annoyed.

Consider the following points;
    1. You are a MAN, women on the other hand can sustain 1,200 much easier.
    2. I eat around 1,200 cals a day plus two cheat meals a week. I AM NOT STARVING. I make good choices and am only hungry when I SHOULD BE.
    3. I've lost 20kgs over 2 years and have kept it off for over a year and am now focusing on losing centimeters not kilos, and it's working = sustainable.
    4. I train 4-5 days a week, cardio and weights, and I try not to eat all my calories back. My point? See point 3.
    5. Stop taking yourself so seriously (this point is applicable to lot of people on here).
    6. 1,200 isn't for everyone, but it DOES work and it can be a great option for some people, especially those at the end of their journey.
    7. Blanket statements help no-one, so next time try focusing your rant to a particular audience and not make regular, healthy people look like they have an eating disorder.

K? thanks, bye.

Given they posted this a long time ago and are probably not even here anymore, I doubt they are going to say 'bye' back, lol.

• daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

This is just an urban legend/old wives tale/broscience. Research shows it really doesn't matter. In fact there was a clinical study done where people who lost weight at a faster pace not only lost more but kept it off longer and were not more likely to gain weight than those who lost it slowly.

If you have any clinical trials showing otherwise I will be happy to read them.

Yeah, I don't believe this.

Well too bad because it actually happened in the study. I would link it but im not at my PC right now. In the meanwhile feel free to show me something done under a clinical setting that suggests the opposite.

still don't believe it...lol...
    I would re-post links to the multiple studies that say that but you've seen them here before, I'm pretty sure. You don't believe them, you think they're flawed, you think you know better than peer reviewed research and the medical community. Right?
    (>‿◠)✌

In spite of WalkingAlong's point, I will post the study I mentioned and hopefully someone more...open-minded will gain new perspective.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3780395/

TL;DR
    "There were three key findings with regards to weight outcomes. First, women who lost weight at a FAST rate during the first 4 weeks of treatment achieved significantly greater weight reductions at 6 months than those who lost at MODERATE and SLOW rates, and those who lost at a MODERATE rate during the first 4 weeks of treatment lost significantly more weight than those who lost at a SLOW rate. At 18 months, the FAST group maintained a significantly greater weight loss than the SLOW group. These findings are consistent with previous research demonstrating that larger initial weight losses are associated with greater long-term weight loss success [10, 12–15, 21, 30]."

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Hm, this conclusion is obvious:
    " The FAST and MODERATE groups were 5.1 and 2.7 times more likely to achieve 10% weight losses at 18 months than the SLOW group."

That's basically how they designed the experiment.
  • abetocampo
    Options
    I think saying a 1200 calorie diet is starving is a bit of a broad statement. I am only 5'1. I can not eat as much as someone who is 5'10 and lose weight. I do fine eating 1200 calories and my exercise calories.
    ....this is also me, thanks Kris, for speaking out loud. im lean and happy and definitely eating well!

• abetocampo
    Options
    For some people, 1200 calories/day IS a healthy way to lose weight. Usually, those people are shorter and only slightly overweight women who either can't exercise much due to age or a medical condition or if they do exercise, they eat back their exercise calories so that they're really netting 1200 calories/day.

As for your tips, like many others have said, limiting certain foods is good only to the extent of reaching a healthy calorie deficit and healthy macros. Limiting more than that is completely unnecessary and often unhealthy.

Also...I love carbs and I hate it when people try to convince others that carbs are "bad" and need to "limited." Carbs are GOOD and should make up a good portion of your diet.
    i love carbs too im just getting it from non-traditional sources that i can convert to fuel, when i need it! thanks for explaining about calorie deficit' thats the every weight loss, gain or maintenance, for that matter :smile:

• sullengirl78
    sullengirl78 Posts: 36 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I love the 1200 cal diet! I can lose weight quickly and I just stick what I want into the 1200 cals. I do this by eating once per day. I drink water and coffee during the day, and at night have a big meal and sometimes a dessert! It's amazing. My body has adapted nicely doing this. I fast for about 23 hours then load up my plate!
    Binge eating is not healthy, no matter what the OMAD guy preaches.

Um... 1200 cals is by no means a binge. A large piece of meat, some mashed potatoes with butter, a side salad, veggies and a dessert can easily add to 1200 cals. I would hardly call that binging. I'm not eating thousands of calories in one sitting lol....and I keep the meal balanced. Also I didn't know 1-2 pounds a week was extreme weight loss...

• MartaJas
    MartaJas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 years old, 1,60m (5´2) tall and weighed 75 kilos (165 lbs) when I started my 1200 calorie diet, nearly seven weeks ago. I should add that i do no exercise whatsoever, I work at a desk all day.
    I'm now 68,5 kilos (151 lbs), have been slowly loosing weight, but feel that this way I can maintain it after I reach my goal weight of 60 kilos (132 lbs). I feel fine, some days better than others. I also began drinking 1,5 litre of water, which I never used to do and I guess this had also contributed to the weight loss. I sometimes feel kinda lightheaded (especially after eating) and also worry if I should increase my calorie intake. I register everything I eat and drink on MFP and I weigh everything I eat. I guess some people might be right when they say we can miscalculate the calorie intake for some reason, being it there are so many guidelines out there.
    Also, I started with 25 muscle and now am 26. Body fat started at 40!!! and I'm now down to 37, nearly 36.
  • hasta_la_vista_belly
    Options
    I love reading these blanket guides like you must follow this guide to lose weight. I eat bacon and eggs, steak, salads with olive oil and vinegar or good ol' blue cheese, put butter on everything and lose a lot of fat and feel the best I ever have in years. Yay Keto.

Different things work for different people and their situations, and what they can stick with.
  • MartaJas
    MartaJas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance, right, Hasta?
  • sullengirl78
    sullengirl78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    I love the 1200 cal diet! I can lose weight quickly and I just stick what I want into the 1200 cals. I do this by eating once per day. I drink water and coffee during the day, and at night have a big meal and sometimes a dessert! It's amazing. My body has adapted nicely doing this. I fast for about 23 hours then load up my plate!
    Binge eating is not healthy, no matter what the OMAD guy preaches.

And now that I clarified OMAD is not binge eating, how much weight have you lost and how long have you maintained for? "OMAD GUY" lost 173 pounds and has been in maintenance for awhile now (months). All of his health markers are perfect. How about you? :)

• ostrichrider
    ostrichrider Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    LOL. I think this is funny because you would be starving yourself if you ate a bag of chips the whole day for 1200+ calories, but if you eat healthy you can eat every two hours....real food.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OMAD? UMAD!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    LOL. I think this is funny because you would be starving yourself if you ate a bag of chips the whole day for 1200+ calories, but if you eat healthy you can eat every two hours....real food.

Nobody said anything about only eating a bag of chips all day. Show us where someone said that. The person said for their meal they had a piece of meat, salad, veggies, potatoes and a dessert. Some people don't like eating snacks all day. Some prefer to sit down to a large meal instead of 6 mini meals that never satisfy them....nothing wrong with that.

• Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    OMAD? UMAD!

How is OMAD different from any other intermittent fasting? The only difference is the eating window is smaller.

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I love reading these blanket guides like you must follow this guide to lose weight. I eat bacon and eggs, steak, salads with olive oil and vinegar or good ol' blue cheese, put butter on everything and lose a lot of fat and feel the best I ever have in years. Yay Keto.

Different things work for different people and their situations, and what they can stick with.

EXACTLY. I couldn't stick with a keto diet for very long. I find that eating moderate amounts of carbs, proteins, and fats is what works best for me, but who the **** am I to judge what works for someone else? My ex-husband lost a ton of weight on a low fat diet, and that's what worked for him, even though I know that it's a big fail for a lot of people (myself included).
  • theGarinator
    theGarinator Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a 66 year old fellow, with a history of two hernia repairs forty years ago, inguinal and umbilical. I'm suspecting another hernia, over my umbilical. I thought it was a Diastasis recti but my GP said no, it's an incisional hernia. I contacted the Shouldice Clinic and they recommend a repair but I have to lose 50lbs before they'll do it. Their nutritionist set me up to lose the fifty pounds.

Now, I've been following MFP's of 1500 calories for quite a while, for my age/activity but I'm not active enough as my waste size is not shrinking, but I've lost a mess of weight around my neck arms and legs.

Does anyone know if there is a profile here started by Shouldice so I can figure out how many calories I should be aiming for according to her two part protocol?

The dietician has my diet in two parts, one with very very few carbs, and then a part two. Part one looks really serious reduced calories. Plus I have to exercise 5 days a week... It's Shouldice, so I'm going to do it. Thanks for any help kick starting this.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'm a 66 year old fellow, with a history of two hernia repairs forty years ago, inguinal and umbilical. I'm suspecting another hernia, over my umbilical. I thought it was a Diastasis recti but my GP said no, it's an incisional hernia. I contacted the Shouldice Clinic and they recommend a repair but I have to lose 50lbs before they'll do it. Their nutritionist set me up to lose the fifty pounds.

Now, I've been following MFP's of 1500 calories for quite a while, for my age/activity but I'm not active enough as my waste size is not shrinking, but I've lost a mess of weight around my neck arms and legs.

Does anyone know if there is a profile here started by Shouldice so I can figure out how many calories I should be aiming for according to her two part protocol?

The dietician has my diet in two parts, one with very very few carbs, and then a part two. Part one looks really serious reduced calories. Plus I have to exercise 5 days a week... It's Shouldice, so I'm going to do it. Thanks for any help kick starting this.

This is a very old thread. You probably will get more responses if you start your own.

That said, didn't the dietician give you information on what they want you to do?