1200 Calorie Diet???? Seriously???

Options

Replies

• perris101
    perris101 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I put my goals in told me to stay at 1450 calories per day I log it all in I never reach the 1450 calories I always have 300-600 cal left my stomach went down some I’m afraid to weigh myself. I try to exercise 1 hr 3-4 times per week....
    I was told by 2 ppl recently I looked like I was losing weight.... which is motivating
    I wish my pant sizes etc were coming down but nothing....I feel embarrassed cuz I don’t feel I’m losing....I just started in October
    I’m 60+ 5’2 my goal 135 At least I’m closer to 195 now....patiently waiting doongvthis mostly for my health....Thanks for all encouragement n sharing thoughts....

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    perris101 wrote: »
    When I put my goals in told me to stay at 1450 calories per day I log it all in I never reach the 1450 calories I always have 300-600 cal left my stomach went down some I’m afraid to weigh myself. I try to exercise 1 hr 3-4 times per week....
    I was told by 2 ppl recently I looked like I was losing weight.... which is motivating
    I wish my pant sizes etc were coming down but nothing....I feel embarrassed cuz I don’t feel I’m losing....I just started in October
    I’m 60+ 5’2 my goal 135 At least I’m closer to 195 now....patiently waiting doongvthis mostly for my health....Thanks for all encouragement n sharing thoughts....

Don't be embarrassed! Most of us have all sorts of fears and head games we play internally around our weight and appearance. For me personally, I found boiling the process down to data helped me remove the emotion from it. My weight, my calories, my macros - all data to play with. But other people find looking at the numbers too much causes them too much stress. So you have to find a balance where you have enough data to determine whether you are making progress, but not so much data that it stresses you out.

If you get a moment, read these Most Helpful posts, maybe some of the info in there will make a difference:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

You can find lots of other posts like those in the Most Helpful Posts threads pinned to the top of each forum.

Hang in there and good luck :smiley:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I started at 360 pounds and I eat about 1200 calories a day. I'm actually pretty happy with it. I don't feel hungry, tired, deprived, nothing. Don't really see why I should force myself to eat more when I feel fine. I've lost 20 pounds so far. I haven't started working out however and I know that will make me feel hungrier in which case I'll just eat more lol. No biggie.

The issue with such a large deficit in your case is loss of muscle mass. Your body can only burn so much fat per day and then it goes after other tissue. Muscle loss is a big deal because:

Your heart is a muscle and therefore at risk.
    You will burn fewer calories at rest and therefore overall.
    You will not look as good at goal weight as you would by retaining muscle.

Regardless of how you’re feeling, there are repercussions. This is especially true if you’re not including resistance work to your program.

Of course this is your choice but I just wanted to point all of this out incase you or anyone reading aren’t aware of the details. I’ve seen many people regret muscle loss on this site and struggle to regain it.

Good luck to you!

Yes, but the amount of fat any given body can "burn" in a day -- i.e., the amount of energy recoverable from fat stores -- is dependent on how much fat that body has, and at more than 300 lbs, kami3006 likely has adequate fat stores to fuel her deficit.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I started at 360 pounds and I eat about 1200 calories a day. I'm actually pretty happy with it. I don't feel hungry, tired, deprived, nothing. Don't really see why I should force myself to eat more when I feel fine. I've lost 20 pounds so far. I haven't started working out however and I know that will make me feel hungrier in which case I'll just eat more lol. No biggie.

The issue with such a large deficit in your case is loss of muscle mass. Your body can only burn so much fat per day and then it goes after other tissue. Muscle loss is a big deal because:

Your heart is a muscle and therefore at risk.
    You will burn fewer calories at rest and therefore overall.
    You will not look as good at goal weight as you would by retaining muscle.

Regardless of how you’re feeling, there are repercussions. This is especially true if you’re not including resistance work to your program.

Of course this is your choice but I just wanted to point all of this out incase you or anyone reading aren’t aware of the details. I’ve seen many people regret muscle loss on this site and struggle to regain it.

Good luck to you!

Yes, but the amount of fat any given body can "burn" in a day -- i.e., the amount of energy recoverable from fat stores -- is dependent on how much fat that body has, and at more than 300 lbs, kami3006 likely has adequate fat stores to fuel her deficit.

Indeed, for now.