What to do about syrup

Options
124»

Replies

• PBandJ_Panda
    Options
    I put yogurt and berries or apple slices on mine! Also honey if you want something really sweet:)
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Agreed with real maple syrup. Strawberries and whipped cream. Honey. Annnnnnd most definitely, chocolate chips. No syrup necessarily necessary. Go dark chocolate to make it a little healthier.
  • Mr_Starr
    Mr_Starr Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Just use regular REAL maple syrup and make the calories fit into your day.

^^^ This

I agree with all the good folk here that it is better to eat REAL food, good food, but just less of it.

... also if found it helps when i pour the syrup off to the side instead of pouring directly on the pancake. It just seems sweeter when it is not soaked in. :)

48403347.png
  • Ke11er
    Ke11er Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    In my family we all use peanut butter on top of our pancakes (instead of butter and syrup) ...my kids, the grown ups, and nieces and nephews too :-) Not so sure peanut butter flies with such enthusiasm outside of the US though.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of good examples listed above, most of which I love. I make buckwheat pancakes, and my favorite topping is somewhat frozen blueberries, toasted pecans, shaved dark chocolate, and maple syrup. mmmmmmmm. But I most frequently just use maple syrup. I've got some friends who prefer to top their pancakes with fried chicken, which I thought was just a southern thing, and I thought it was supposed to be waffles not pancakes. But whatever works...

A couple of people have mentioned dipping. I use a variation on dipping - put the syrup on a saucer or another plate, rather than a bowl, and swipe each bite in it. With real maple, you'll get plenty of flavor that way, while using even less. One reason folks tend to use a lot more syrup than they think is that the pancake soaks it in like sponge, but once it's no longer on the surface of the pancake you can't taste it as well. Meanwhile, the pancake's texture is ruined.

If you really want to be able to indulge in some good maple syrup, you have to make it yourself. By the time you've cut, split, hauled, and stacked 5 or 6 cords of firewood, and trudged through the snow tapping trees, and trudged through the mud hauling buckets of sap, and boiled and stoked and stoked and boiled, you've burned off plenty of calories! Make a few maple dogs, and drown 'em in syrup. Maybe dip your syrup in pancakes...