Kill me now. Why is this so hard?

Options
I've used mfp a few times before and managed to lose a few lbs relatively quickly just by calorie counting but once I left mfp it all came back. Now weighing my heaviest at 236lbs I thought I should go full steam and calorie count plus get my fat butt to the gym.

25/09 - 236lbs
04/10 - 230.8lbs
08/10 - 231.2lbs

Over the past 4 days I've put on 3.5lbs and dropped back to 231.2lbs, heavier than when I weighed in 4 days ago. I've been going to the gym 3-4 times a week, attending spin class, aqua aerobics and doing cardio and weights on the gym floor. Considering I've not stepped foot in a gym for 2 years and I'm so lazy, I thought I was doing well. But why am I not losing?

I guess I'm going to get the 'you've lost 4lbs in 2 weeks which is right on track' speech, but I'm really trying hard and it doesn't seem to be working this time. Why not? I know I shouldn't weigh so frequently but I need to see even 0.02 of a loss to keep motivated. I'm working out calories burnt and eating some of my exercise calories back. I'm keeping to my calories goal and I'm drinking plenty of water. I'm logging everything. My diary is open to see.

I know weight lifting can make you retain water for a day or so after working out, but I think I am way past that now. Tips please?

My BMR is 1800 and my goal is 1400 on a 'lightly active' setting but I do log and eat my exercise calories. With 80lbs to go and just 4lbs down this is really annoying me and getting me so upset.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't weigh so frequently but I need to see even 0.02 of a loss to keep motivated.

Patience, or Fail.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I realize it can be frustrating, but you really need to put the scale away. First of all, there are a TON of reasons why you could be up 3.5 lbs- if you just ate, you haven't set foot in a gym in years so your muscles are retaining water, time of the month, you haven't gone to the bathroom, you ate a salty meal.... the list goes on. Second, expecting a loss (even .02 lbs) every time you set foot on the scale is going to set you up for failure. Either weigh once a week and look at the trends or just measure instead. You cannot use weight as your motivation because it can and will fluctuate. If I had given up every time I didn't lose some weight, I'd have quite years ago.

4 lbs in 2 weeks IS good. You're losing at a consistent and healthy rate. You said yourself you were able to lose weight quickly before and you put it back on. Clearly, that old way isn't working. Why not give this a few months time and see how it goes?
  • rickyd88
    rickyd88 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't weigh so frequently but I need to see even 0.02 of a loss to keep motivated.

Patience, or Fail.

Easier said than done. An old thin photo of me isn't enough to keep me motivated, so what else can I try? Not so handy with a tape measure so I'm using an old pair of jeans I'd like to get back into.

Also, still doesn't solve where I'm going wrong. I lost weight easier when I didn't exercise. How does that work?
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing awesome. Just be patient and keep going, you'll see the results. And if you're doing weight training, don't be too focused on the scale. Try measuring yourself rather than weighing. The fat will come off, slowly but surely! Keep it up!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yep, patience and consistency is key. Weight loss it not linear. Keep on doing what you're doing. :flowerforyou:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. It's part of life!!! Keep at it and good luck. :bigsmile:
  • MisterHeavyDuty
    Options
    Most exercise calculators totally overestimate calories burned. Don't "eat exercise calories". Just stick to your daily deficeincy. BTW, 1400 is low, and BMR is basal metebolic rate. It's what you would need to survive if you are in bed rest or coma to maintain. You have to multiply your BMR and your activity level factor. Then subtract either 500 or 1000 calories from it to get your daily calories.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Patience, or Fail.

Easier said than done. An old thin photo of me isn't enough to keep me motivated, so what else can I try? Not so handy with a tape measure so I'm using an old pair of jeans I'd like to get back into.

Also, still doesn't solve where I'm going wrong. I lost weight easier when I didn't exercise. How does that work?

The answer is...you're not doing anything wrong! As far as we can see at this point. You just started.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Here's a cool thread that you might enjoy that illustrates very nicely how an individual's weight loss appears to plateau or go up, but is actually trending downward. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs?hl=Plateau+graph
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Patience, or Fail.

1) you may have initially weighed in on a "light" day. Natural body weight fluctuations can be 2-5 Lbs day to day and more throughout the week.

2) New exercise or an increase in intensity, duration, etc generally leads to more water retention due to your body needing water to repair itself.

3) In the grand scheme of things 4 days is absolutely meaningless and nothing you can use to determine if anything is working or not.

4) If you can't handle natural body weight fluctuations and do not understand them then you need to step away from the scale.

5) Try to think big picture...again, 4 days is nothing. Put your focus on being more awesome today than you were yesterday and sleep well knowing you will be more awesome tomorrow than you were today. Focus on your nutrition and your fitness...focus on the process, not the results.

focus on the results and you'll never see the change; focus on the change and you'll always see the results. And again, it takes time and patience...lot more time and patience than a mere 4 days.
  • rickyd88
    Options
    Thanks for the above posts. It's just that horrible feeling where you're busting your *kitten* trying to get to where you want and it's not as easy as it was before. I am forever logging, at the gym, collapsing onto my bed with sore muscles from gym sessions. Seems like a lot of work when you can't see the benefits. Guess I gotta keep going ...
    Most exercise calculators totally overestimate calories burned. Don't "eat exercise calories". Just stick to your daily deficeincy. BTW, 1400 is low, and BMR is basal metebolic rate. It's what you would need to survive if you are in bed rest or coma to maintain. You have to multiply your BMR and your activity level factor. Then subtract either 500 or 1000 calories from it to get your daily calories.

MFP set my target calories at 1400 based on my figures so I don't understand how that's low? Surely what's low for me is high for someone else? You're right, my BMR is me at rest which is why MFP has targeted me at 400 calories less for a 2lb a week loss on a lightly active setting (I spend all day on my feet as a nurse). It's also why I'm trying to accurately log my exercise because I've read that i need to eat back some of what I burn if MFP doesn't already account for it. Am I misunderstanding something?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the above posts. It's just that horrible feeling where you're busting your *kitten* trying to get to where you want and it's not as easy as it was before. I am forever logging, at the gym, collapsing onto my bed with sore muscles from gym sessions. Seems like a lot of work when you can't see the benefits. Guess I gotta keep going ...

MFP set my target calories at 1400 based on my figures so I don't understand how that's low? Surely what's low for me is high for someone else? You're right, my BMR is me at rest which is why MFP has targeted me at 400 calories less for a 2lb a week loss on a lightly active setting (I spend all day on my feet as a nurse). It's also why I'm trying to accurately log my exercise because I've read that i need to eat back some of what I burn if MFP doesn't already account for it. Am I misunderstanding something?

What are you using to "accurately log exercise"? HRM?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    What exactly are you expecting?

You've been doing this for 2 weeks and lost 4lbs, sounds good to me.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you are a nurse and on your feet all day, you are not lightly active - you are active to very active...You need to eat enough - I weight a lot less than you, am older and lose weight on 1800cals a day - and I sit behind a computer all day long...

Your muscles are retaining water for repair as you said yourself you are new to exercise - it is normal...Your weight will fluctuate over days - mine fluctuate hourly - it is normal.
    As somebody else said - learn patience or fail - you did not gain the weight in four days, why would you lose it in four?
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If not seeing daily progress is enough to stop your motivation, you may want to consider working on emotional and mental fitness as well as physical fitness. You're being hard on yourself and setting unrealistic expectations, which will ensure you never succeed.

Remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix, and that it has to be total-- mind AND body.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    weigh yourself right before you have to pee then weigh yourself after. Now, Imagine HOW MANY TIMES YOU EAT, DRINK, etc etc. A slight gain can be a number of things, (water retention, poop, fecal matter lingering in the intestine, urine) so don't freak out. When you are sore (from lifting heavy) our bodies tend to retain extra water for the repair process which will cause a slight increase in the scale but will eventually go away so chill out. 1.5-2lbs loss per week is amazing! So quit crying! :grumble:
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Generally, comparing weights within the same week (or a few) can really screw with your brain because of how much your weight can fluctuate around. You are best to compare to a weigh-in you did about a month ago. You may also want to use averages and not a single reading. This will give you a much better picture of your progress.

I think you are doing fine. Checking the scale too frequently can be a bit of a downer, but I believe that if you give it some time, you'll see the results you're looking for.
  • rickyd88
    Options

What are you using to "accurately log exercise"? HRM?

The cardio machines at my gym allow me to input my data and they have heart rate sensors on so I can see how fast my rate is. Based on that it gives me a calories burned reading. As pointed out, it may not be entirely accurate which is why (as seen in my diary) I never eat back ALL of the calories unless I'm starving after a big workout. I don't account for the weights I've lifted. Aqua and spin calories are an 'average'.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It's hard because you are making hard. There are a lot of people around here who have lost and maintained that loss for YEARS and YEARS, so listen:

Stop weighing yourself so much. Stop expecting weight loss to be linear. Make good food choices (stay within your calories, strive to meet your marcos), move more -- you will be met with success if you just DO those things over and over.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Here's a cool thread that you might enjoy that illustrates very nicely how an individual's weight loss appears to plateau or go up, but is actually trending downward. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs?hl=Plateau+graph

Great link! Thank you for sharing.