Skinny/fit people who say, "I'm so fat."

Options

Replies

• kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have a skinny little friend who used to pull that all of the time. At the time, I was about a size 22 and she was probably a 4. She'd put on jeans and complain about how fat she looked while I was practically bursting out of my sweats. After a while I just looked at her and said, "yeah, you're a real pig."

She never complained to me again.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    There are people who do it for the attention, or they're just obnoxious about it. Then there are people who feel fat, who percieve themselves to be so. It doesn't mean they have ED, or want to offend people with ED.

For me, I still struggle after having lost 100 pounds, with the "skinny girl" look - I'll go "naw, naw" when people tell me I look skinny. Then there's days where I feel absolutely skinny, and I'll say it. Does that mean I'm fishing? Does that mean I'm rubbing it in people's faces? No. It means I'm telling people my perspective.

Just nod and ignore them, unless it's an obvious cry for help.
  • mariskaS86
    Options
    I hate that. I'm literally 1kg away from having my bmi go from "obese" to "over weight" and it feels like they're minimizing my achievements...
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I hate that. I'm literally 1kg away from having my bmi go from "obese" to "over weight" and it feels like they're minimizing my achievements...

see, that's your problem. It almost always has NOTHING to do with you and everything to do with how THEY feel about THEMSELVES.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I obviously have quite a bit of weight to lose and sometimes it irritates me when people say "oh you're fine the way you are". or "you could lose 10 pounds if it would make you feel better but you don't need to lose any more than that".
    I am not happy with my body. I have plenty of fat to spare. I'm not even trying to get super skinny, just a trim, fit, normal weight.
    I try to take it as a compliment, they probably mean well. But what I want my friends and family to say is good for you, push hard and achieve your goals. Granted I'm not posting pictures and whining about being fat, but if someone asks me I tell them I am unhappy with my body and trying to change it.

I agree entirely. When I was 170lb and people realised I was losing weight these conversations first arose (never initiated by me I hasten to add!) and when people asked me how much I wanted to lose I said about 40 pounds... Oh my word, the hullaballoo from some people... 130lb at 5'6" is spot on normal, nowhere near underweight and quite frankly also my own business. But those protest views of "oooh you don't want to lose THAT much" usually come from folk who are quite large themselves and I think it's more about about somehow feeling offended themselves (however unintended) than a true reflection of your goals.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    My boss does this and it's annoying. He continually talks about how fat he is when he is not. Then he mentions his "fat face" - he has a round face and it is what it is. He sends out department memos saying we can "lose weight" or "get in shape" and it is definitely offensive. Now that I have lost 35 lbs he always brings in food for me to eat or offers me candy. At staff meetings he tells everyone to give me their leftovers because I "obviously need it." It's eff'ing annoying!!

We also have a lady here is was once anorexic and struggles with her weight. I always feel for her when he sends those memos out. However, when I mentioned it to him he stated that he would "not apologize for people being hyper-sensitive." Just an *kitten*!!

Ok, maybe its just him that I cant stand..........LOL!!

Happy Hump Day :happy:
    Jeez, that's pretty bad. Have you brought it up with HR? That's too close to harassment for my taste.
  • tritepoet
    tritepoet Posts: 119
    Options
    Though I thought I had explained this, I feel like I should make it clear that my post is not about this particular girl and what she's feeling, it's not about ED sensitivity, and it's not about compliment-fishing.

This is about a bigger picture. This is about society. This is about our human world of physical perception, the way we look at ourselves, and how that can manifest in others.

Through each one of us starts a wave of perception that flows through the rest of society. When one of us looks down on ourselves, trash talks ourselves, puts ourselves down, it influences not only us but all the people around us, and spreads, influencing over generations.

How can we hope to make a change in positive outlooks of growing people everywhere if we don't start with ourselves?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I have days where I am down on my body, I choose not to share those thoughts because I don't want other people to be ****s and judge me for thinking a way that I have a right to think. Well, that and I like to stay positive because I know the next upswing is just around the corner as long as I choose it to be.

I've been lots of shapes and sizes, I know the capabilities of my body, I'm carry an extra few pounds, I know where those pounds reside and if I'm feeling more defeated by them on some days than others that's my perogative.

Some people fish for compliments, some people have a realistic view of their capabilities and how far they are from there, some people have body dysmorphia, some people have a disordered relationship with weight and food and exercise, some people are just ****s.

If you don't like to hear about it, then block her feeds from your fb, otherwise focus on yourself.
    Options
    I have days where I am down on my body, I choose not to share those thoughts because I don't want other people to be ****s and judge me for thinking a way that I have a right to think. Well, that and I like to stay positive because I know the next upswing is just around the corner as long as I choose it to be.

I've been lots of shapes and sizes, I know the capabilities of my body, I'm carry an extra few pounds, I know where those pounds reside and if I'm feeling more defeated by them on some days than others that's my perogative.

Some people fish for compliments, some people have a realistic view of their capabilities and how far they are from there, some people have body dysmorphia, some people have a disordered relationship with weight and food and exercise, some people are just ****s.

If you don't like to hear about it, then block her feeds from your fb, otherwise focus on yourself.

another reason why I :heart: you!
  • KayLasMack
    KayLasMack Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just agree with them because I will tell them exactly what they want to hear and proceed with my day. :huh:
  • wassergottin
    wassergottin Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am amazed at the amount of vitriol aimed towards these women. It's screaming "hate" to me. :/

I am a size 4 and intellectually know that I am not fat, but I hate who I see in the mirror. I hate my arms, my thighs, my torso, my face, everything. I never fish for complements, but sometimes I get so frustrated with how I look that the internalized thoughts pop out and I'll be in public or in front of friends/family when I mention how fat I look. Honestly, I know I have a pretty severe case of body dysmorphia. I am working on it.

I'm truly amazed at how many people take this as complement fishing, selfishness, and disparaging comments aimed at those heavier than the speaker. A little empathy goes a long way.
  • tritepoet
    Options

My post was never meant to imply that you don't have the right to feel what you feel or say what you want to say. My post was intended to shed some light on what we may be doing when we do this, how it can affect ourselves and others.

My post is also not particularly about -her-, as I stated above. I just used her as an example for my point.
    Options
    Wow, I am amazed at the amount of vitriol aimed towards these women. It's screaming "hate" to me. :/

I am a size 4 and intellectually know that I am not fat, but I hate who I see in the mirror. I hate my arms, my thighs, my torso, my face, everything. I never fish for complements, but sometimes I get so frustrated with how I look that the internalized thoughts pop out and I'll be in public or in front of friends/family when I mention how fat I look. Honestly, I know I have a pretty severe case of body dysmorphia. I am working on it.

I'm truly amazed at how many people take this as complement fishing, selfishness, and disparaging comments aimed at those heavier than the speaker. A little empathy goes a long way.

it seems it is because they feel it is a direct attack on them, when many times it is just how one feels. Too bad they can't empathize, but goodness forbid a fit woman ever feel bad about herself. Anyone else is allowed all day every day, but a fit woman and everyone goes bonkers.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

it seems it is because they feel it is a direct attack on them, when many times it is just how one feels. Too bad they can't empathize, but goodness forbid a fit woman ever feel bad about herself. Anyone else is allowed all day every day, but a fit woman and everyone goes bonkers.

I am curious how many ladies (my guess is 80 +%) can identify every mole,patch of cellulite,crows foot etc on their own bodies and question if a guy notices/cares about the "flaws".
  • tritepoet
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I'm amazed at how much you're missing my point. Anyone can feel bad about themselves, fit or otherwise, the girl I used was an example (as I've stated now three times). I'm not telling anyone they can't do or feel anything. I HAVE an eating disorder, I KNOW what it is to feel bad about oneself in so many ways. I'm not saying you can't talk about how you feel, or express concerns. My point is that when a person outwardly bashes themselves, it can be unhealthy for them and the people receiving those messages as well.
    There is a bigger picture here that I feel you're missing.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how much you're missing my point. Anyone can feel bad about themselves, fit or otherwise, the girl I used was an example (as I've stated now three times). I'm not telling anyone they can't do or feel anything. I HAVE an eating disorder, I KNOW what it is to feel bad about oneself in so many ways. I'm not saying you can't talk about how you feel, or express concerns. My point is that when a person outwardly bashes themselves, it can be unhealthy for them and the people receiving those messages as well.

So what is your solution??

So someone is in the mood to bash themselves, and according to your theory this causes emotional harm to other people...

What is your solution? Prevent that person from being honest to themselves about how they feel in that moment? have some kind of censorship so no one else gets upset by default?
    Options

There is a bigger picture here that I feel you're missing.

My response was to everyone saying she MUST be doing it for attention. It had NOTHING to do with what YOU said in your OP. I feel you missed where that ALL I was referring to was the responses to your OP. Nothing more.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I see this just like I do the people who post pictures of themselves on FB dressed to the nines, looking perfect and then saying, "ugh, I feel so ugly today."

For every 1 who might have some disordered way of thinking, there are 99 who want people to say, "oh, you look so beautiful!" It's pretty sad and I won't feed egos.
  • kamarate
    Options
    Sorry, couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but I would have to echo a lot of what I have read. I would say in 90% of these cases, it's just attention-seeking. When someone says something like that to me, I say "yeah, you should really lose some weight" but completely dry, not sarcastically and they can't tell if I'm being serious. I can tell from their reaction if they really believe me, and if it's a genuine case of bad body image, then I don't mind saying "don't be ridiculous" afterwards.

I understand feeling crappy about how you look. I'm a large woman (big build, tall, broad) and have fluctuated in weight massively. I went down to 54kg (119lb - WAY too low for my body) and up to 84kg (185lb - again, obviously not the right weight). Right now I'm 71kg (156lb) and would like to reach 64kg (141lb - any less and I start to look skinny). I have people telling me that 60kg (132lb) is perfectly healthy for my weight and it makes me feel fat every time I hear it. The fact is I'm not currently overweight and to be told that I should lose over 10kg to be at an acceptable weight really irks me. I live in Switzerland where the general population is skiiiiiiiiinny. My trousers are a European size 40 (size 12 UK, I believe size 10 US) which I think is perfectly acceptable. Even so, every time I hear a comment like that, it hurts and makes me feel enormous. I exercise regularly and am not fortunate enough to be a naturally slim person. I work hard, eat well and this is my body. I NEVER make comments about how crappy I feel about myself on Facebook, to my friends etc because I don't want the focus on things I don't like. People who say things like that do it deliberately to fish for compliments and don't deserve them.
  • candacet36
    candacet36 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I wish I was as thin now as when I thought I was fat!

SO TRUE!