Artificial sweeteners?

Options
13»

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Correlation does not equal causation !
    My husband made me stop eating or drinking stuff with aspartame and sucralose. He saw one of his clients that happens to be a doctor and they were just chit chatting. The topic of artificial sweeteners came up and I guess the doctor told him that a majority of his patients that have cancer or major health issues drink diet soda. It seems to be super common theme. He cant say that is what has caused the problems but it is something that when he asks, almost all of them do.
    It makes you wonder.
    My husband came home and threw out my crystal light (I hardly ever drink soda) LOL! He told me that he wants me around for a long time and its not worth it to save a few calories.

Just a side note. Sucralose is treated with chlorine...Yup, that's what your eating and probably why it tastes so bad...

139092366_ce5b410228_o.jpg
  • misskelli22
    Options
    Nay! Aspartame, sucralose and any other artificial sweetener is one of the few things I will not consume at all and don't let my kids either. It's considered an excitotoxin and I've read about it here and there but cannot cite anything specific. The fact that it is not a real food is enough for me. Even Truvia doesn't sound so natural.

I do like the Stevia drops to sweeten things.
  • ceebeez1975
    ceebeez1975 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia, artifical sweetners are full of crap...
  • Keena7656
    Options
    I'm a type 1 diabetic also (on an insulin pump). I don't use artificial sweeteners just because I'm not a fan of "sweet drinks" (soft drinks, sweet teas, lemonade, etc.). Growing up diabetic, those are just things that were off limits, and when I did try them, I just never really liked them. I do like my coffee a tad sweet though, and just used plain sugar until I started using Agave Nectar. It's amazing & my entire family uses it now for everything we would normally add sugar to. (cereal, tea, coffee, smoothies, & I even bake with it.) It's all natural, very good for you too.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia, artifical sweetners are full of crap...

Unless you are using the stevia plant, the drops and other stevia products fall under artificial sweeteners. The only way to use completely all natural sweeteners is to buy a stevia plant, buy the plant they use for agave-which is just a type of honey and can cause high blood sugars too depending on the person-or have your own sugar cane. Ever regular sugar is processed.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My personal experience: aspartame use leads to debilitating migraines in me. Half a can of aspartame sweetened diet soda is all it takes. Therefore, I do not use aspartame. I have not had reactions to small amounts of sucralose or saccharine. The powdered form of stevia also seems to be okay.

Other than aspartame, I choose not to use the others because I don't like the taste. I'd rather drink my coffee and tea unsweetened. I eat my yogurt plain with a little fruit. I don't typically drink soda. If I choose to indulge, I prefer to eat the same stuff my great-grandmother would have eaten.

A couple of sips of anything with aspartame or Splenda and I'm toast. I get terrible migraines from it and refuse to use it.
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    I use Nectresse, Made from Monk Fruit. Don't know how natural it is, but no calories...:flowerforyou:
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I can't used sucralose, aspartame, or any of the artificial sweeteners because they give me very bad leg cramps.
    Diet Dr. Pepper makes me angry...idk why. lol.

But, anything with Truvia seems to be fine.

Blue Sky Zero calorie sodas are amazing!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

this - I get KILLER migraines if I eat any artificial sweeteners - so it's just not worth it............I don't drink soda, put a tiny amount of real sugar in my morning coffee - just can't deal with ANYTHING that brings about a migraine!

I believe that this is the only valid reason for a person to eat ( or not ) many food items. If it does you harm ( migraines, digestive problems etc ), stay away from it and if not eat it if you like it.
    I don't believe that sugar or artificial sweeteners do a lot of harm if eaten in moderation, but personally don't eat them, because I dislike the taste of anything sweet ever since I had chemotherapy and radiation. It screwed with something in my taste perception. I also think strawberries and some other fruit smell like garbage, so I avoid them. But because of that I would never tell anyone that they are bad.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    eeew poison, at least it tastes like poison to me. Aha. I use cane sugar and honey to sweeten things.
  • EdwardNortonFan43
    EdwardNortonFan43 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Here is an article I found about splenda. I stopped eating it after reading this.
    http://www.rense.com/general65/splend.htm

http://www.rense.com/general65/splend.htm