Boys alternative to a doll house?

Options
1235»

Replies

• westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My boys have several boy-version "dollhouses". They have a Batcave toy, they have a firestation, and they have a parking garage type of structure (It has lots of ramps and a tollbooth, and some of those road-block things). All of these things they play with a lot, most especially the firestation. My older son played with that thing for extended periods of time daily for like 3 months when we first got it!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hape makes one that isn't pink and plastic. My son loves playing with it! It's my daughter's but they share all their toys because it's more fun to play together than alone. This is the one we have and it's pretty gender neutral.

http://www.amazon.com/Hape-Season-House-Furnished-Playset/dp/B005QZLBXO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382053199&sr=8-2&keywords=hape+dollhouse

TOTALLY! I was a preschool director for years and then a school age program director for 25 years. The boys LOVED playing with the house and the families... We had to work out schedules for who & when they were used... however I would say that usually it was just a group of kids both boys and girls
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Something that encourages role play and imagination for a 3 year old. I don't want to get him a girls doll house, but why are these things so gender based?

I am looking for an awesome gift for my son's birthday. He has 1,000 cars, a bike, a scooter, art center, legos that he likes to dump all over the living room.... I'm out of ideas.
    My 5-yo son is preceded by 4 sisters....he plays with dolls, plays dress up, wears princess costumes, puts his hair in ponytails.....and is 100%boy.
    The best thing I ever did was to......gather up all the toys and put them in storage. Their playtime is so much more creative now. They play with each other more, play outside, create. And I am freed from the drudgery of 1000-toy pick-up everyday. I also informed the relatives that I am so grateful for money gifts on behalf of the children instead of giftcards, gifts and toys.
    I buy them "experiences" such as a special trip, horseback riding lessons, guitar lessons, voice lessons, etc.

We occasionally get some toys out for a brief time. Only occasionally, and usually when the days are very short and cold.

We also set up archery and knife-throwing in the backyard on a straw-bale target. Yes, my 5yo has been knife-throwing since he was 4...but I don't let him have a bow/arrow without supervision.
  • zensugi
    zensugi Posts: 76
    Options
    A bunch of large, empty, cardboard boxes. It is dirt cheap, kid will have a blast hiding, building, drawing on them, etc.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    A bunch of large, empty, cardboard boxes. It is dirt cheap, kid will have a blast hiding, building, drawing on them, etc.
    This is sooooo true!! Hours and days of fun!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Love playmobil but too many tiny pieces for a 3yo IMO.

Yeah, probably right about that. My kids loved playmobil when they were littler, but they are 6 and 9 now (they still play with it, especially my 6 year old).
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Maybe a castle... super boyish and similar to a doll house. Or Legos...then he can build whatever he wants :smile:
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    They have firehouse "doll houses", submarine houses, bat cave, castles, etc