Teacher Support Group

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My wife teaches fifth grade and has fought the same battles. In 2009, when I started losing weight, she kept saying she couldn't wait until she finished the school year, so she could join me.

Well, the school year ended, but she never really got started during the summer. She started working out, but had gotten so out of shape she couldn't do that much. Plus, she resisted the idea of making serious diet changes because, when she was 10-15 years younger, all she had to do was start exercising and she would lose weight.

So the summer came and went with no change, which made for some tough moments, since I had done so well. She hung on pretty well this year, but drifted up a few pounds by the end. Again, she started her summer routine. Again, there was little or no progress for the first 4-5 weeks. This time, however, she hung in there and didn't give up. She made some positive changes and she joined our little park district fitness center to lift weights. I set her up on a program, and this time she listened (not always easy for a spouse to do) and really stayed focus.

Finally, she had that breakthrough at the end of July. Now, she is down 8-10lbs and, better yet, she has continued her program during the first month of school. I told her my thoughts were for her to just try to maintain during the school year--even if it's just 2-3 days a week--just so she wasn't spending half the next summer just getting adjusted to a routine again.

But, she is going for 5 days a week. We are doing supportive things like being flexible with meal times so she can work out before dinner--even if that means waiting until 7:30 or 8 at night. I am a little concerned because she is doing things like a 90 min cardio and strength workout on Thursday night at 6pm followed by another cardio session at 4:30 am the next morning (followed by a rest day), but she is determined.

I love her and think she's sexy no matter what, but the great thing is--she has a nice butt even now when it's a little large, and she keeps it when she loses weight. So, it's a win-win situation for dirty ol' Mr Azdak :devil:
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    No matter how much training you recieve or how long you have been teaching, NOTHING can prepare you to handle the death of a student.

The stepfather of one of my students that I had last year and again this year killed her and her entire family early this morning.

I am on autopilot right now just trying to make it through the day.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. Nothing can prepare you for something like that. Please take care of yourself and talk to us, your friend, family, or anyone you need to. You might find feelings change and resurface later.

I'm thinking about you and your school community.
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the prayers countrymama08. Truly appreciated.

Well, our first marking period ends on Friday. It's been a little bit of a rough ride, but not too bad overall.

How is everyone doing?
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Is the teacher support group still going strong? I teach high school English in Central PA. I struggle with grading papers, versus squeezing in workout time. What do you struggle with and how do you overcome it?

Shannon