I want to quit smoking but afraid of weight gain rumors

Options
13»

Replies

• Ladyinbleu
    Options
    Hi, I have a friend who smoked cigs for almost 6 years and she claims it helped her lose weight. Well, just recently she quit by smoking E-Cigs instead (vapes) and its working for her. Her doctor even recommended it as opposed to quitting cold turkey. She gets the satisfaction of smoking without the harmful and addicting nicotine. E-cigs offer a variety of flavors too that can help cravings. This is not the HEALTHIEST way to quit, but its a much better alternative. Quitting colde turkey can cause you to give up when the urge becomes too strong. I suggest looking into it. Also, the E-Cig juices comes in different levels of nicotine all the way to zero.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a friend who smoked cigs for almost 6 years and she claims it helped her lose weight. Well, just recently she quit by smoking E-Cigs instead (vapes) and its working for her. Her doctor even recommended it as opposed to quitting cold turkey. She gets the satisfaction of smoking without the harmful and addicting nicotine. E-cigs offer a variety of flavors too that can help cravings. This is not the HEALTHIEST way to quit, but its a much better alternative. Quitting colde turkey can cause you to give up when the urge becomes too strong. I suggest looking into it. Also, the E-Cig juices comes in different levels of nicotine all the way to zero.

I got a vapor cig a couple of weeks ago. For the first two weeks, I smoked real ones and the vapor.....I haven't had a real cigarette since Sunday, which is the longest I've gone without one for about 15 years. Granted, it's still nicotine, but it's still better than actual cigarettes, and like you said, you can lower your nicotine intake. I'm sure that cold turkey is best, but if anyone is really struggling to quit, give an e-cig a try. Just make sure you start with a high enough dose of nicotine. (24mg is recommended to start). I actually prefer the coconut, pineapple, peach, pumpkin pie, butterscotch, grapefruit and blueberry flavors I have over tobacco now.
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey 4 weeks ago and gained about 14lbs back but I can't just blame the smokes.

At the same time, we had builders refurbishing our house, I changed positions at work, stopped going to the gym and stopped logging on MFP. Honestly, even though I care I gained back the weight, I am giving myself some slack because I think other than a few extra pounds, I'm handling things pretty well...
    .. and really, don't we deserve a bit of happiness and a pat on the back for doing the right thing?
  • mfoulkebrown
    mfoulkebrown Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It is not totally correct to state that people gain weight when quitting smoking SOLELY because they eat more or replace one addiction for another. Studies have shown that nicotine (which is a stimulant) allows smokers to consume more calories than nonsmokers with less weight gain.

Quitting smoking can lower your metabolism slightly, but that should regulate itself eventually. I would just suggest sticking to your calories and maybe add a bit of excercise. That has helped me in the past when I have quit. I'm getting ready to do it again, hopefully for the last time.

And to the poster who noted how much better food tasted, I couldn't agree more! I remember after I quit the last time walking into some chain sandwich shop and I couldn't believe how good it smelled!

Another idea, if you're in the States is to check out resources from your state and county health services. Sometimes they offer free or discounted quit smoking help.
  • DaveinNYS
    Options
    The added challenge about trying to keep weight off is the need to be doing something with your hands, sticking something in your mouth, - the comforting effect it has. If you pop candy (or whatever) into your mouth everytime you think about how nice it would be to light up, well, you know the consequences.

That's the beauty of some quit smoking programs. They're not for everyone, but sometimes a little psychology is all that's needed to deliver someone to that "I can do this' moment where they can wrest control (of their own minds and bodies) away from their Brain -which is trying to kill them.

For those people, a quit smoking program can introduce some common sense ideas that will allow the individual to once again be in control of their own destiny.

The one my wife relied on (with success is FinallyReadytoQuit[dot]com -if you're looking for ideas.

Best of luck with your challenge.

Dave