Would U log Chewing Gum calories?

Options
So the topic pretty much says it all. How many of U log calories from chewing gum, vitamins & cough drops? I just think you probably burn off the gum calories just by chewing it but again, I might be wrong. Your thoughts please...

Replies

• Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my mouth, I log it!

I log the chewing gum, it may only be 20 cals for a sugar free pack, but if I ate a pack every day for a week that would be 140 cals and my just put me under the 3500 mark for a pound loss.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I log my gum.
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    It probably depends on how often you chew it.

I chew a 5 calorie piece of gum MAYBE once every two weeks... so it's not really worth logging. But if you chew gum every day, I would log it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    If I went through an enitre pack of gum in a day, yes...as one stick of gum is usually 5 calories and packs range from 10-20 sticks so that is 50-100 calories just in gum.

But, if I am having just one stick then no.
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Imperfect_Angel Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    But seriously people, if U log chewing gum, do U also log other mundane physical activities U do such as, swallowed water, emptied the dishwasher, walked to the mailbox? I just think that kinda logging is a bit too rigid! U probably burn more calories chewing the gum than the calories in a piece of gum
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    If I have 1 or 2 pieces a day, no. I normally have about 50-100 calories left at the end of all of my days so if I missed something like gum it's not the end of the world.

If I have a cold and I'm downing a crap ton of cough drops, yes.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Gum, no.

Things like cough sweets and lemsips, yes, if I'm having them daily and regularly, because they can be surprising. Although I have to admit that if I didn't log it, I wouldn't be that bothered by it.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    If I chewed it daily, I would.
    But seriously people, if U log chewing gum, do U also log other mundane physical activities U do such as, swallowed water, emptied the dishwasher, walked to the mailbox?

No. Those activities are included in the activity level you choose for yourself.
    I just think that kinda logging is a bit too rigid!

OK. You asked for people's thoughts. People answered. If you think it's too rigid, don't do it. :smile:
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yup, I log it too!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    cxcVoQn.gif
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    No way! I'm kind of a nazi about logging everything else, but I'm ALWAYS under goal so I refuse to log a piece of gum. I don't log tictacs either...I know, I know...I'm a rebel... :laugh:
  • Naturebeckles
    Options
    But seriously people, if U log chewing gum, do U also log other mundane physical activities U do such as, swallowed water, emptied the dishwasher, walked to the mailbox? I just think that kinda logging is a bit too rigid! U probably burn more calories chewing the gum than the calories in a piece of gum

I totally get your point. I probably misjudge how much I'm eating because I'm too ADHD and not OCD enough to get out a measuring cup for everything. And I think of the same thing you do. There's exercise calories I'm not logging every day either - like the walking and pushing around a shopping cart I did 2 nights ago. Or the insane amount of typing I do everyday which must burn something with the work my fingers and arms are doing. So yeah, all in all, I think if your logs every day are fairly accurate with the food and exercise, the little bit of extra food and the little bit of extra exercise we're not logging should balance out. But the logging is a tool for all of us to use so we can understand what we're doing and use the information to make changes in our lives that are healthier for us. I might get to a place where I don't need to log anymore, because the tool has made light bulbs go off in my brain in regards to food choices that I won't need to use that tool anymore. Does that make sense?
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I assume you mean gummy vitamins? I would absolutely log vitamins and cough drops. They're candy!

Gum though? I don't. It's less than 5 calories and I never chew more than 2 a day, max.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

If it's too rigid for you then dont do it, but dont patronise those that do.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    Uh..... NO
  • foolsforsarah
    Options
    People go a little overboard on here, like you said why log mundane things. Gum isn't extremely healthy because of the crap artificial things in it, but counting the calories is silly.

There are people who log everything, like walking to the mail box or loading the dishwasher and they've snapped at me because I was telling them it isn't going to help them.

I don't even log my full workout, I look at it this way, I'll see more benefits if I don't because I am not trying to make an excuse to eat another calorie. Some people are.

Don't count chewing gum its pathetic, If you're swallowing something or you have the slightest thought of guilt for putting it in your mouth, DEF count it!
  • BossBich
    BossBich Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do, Sometimes I don't, not a huge deal !!!!!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I log chewing gum, since I get through half to a full pack per day.

I like to track everything I eat as missing out one thing can lead to a bit of a slippery slope...for me.

Plus, I chew gum to stop me snacking, so it's useful to see when I've had to do this. In my case, afternoons are always full of gum. not so much in the mornings or evenings.
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big gum eater like maybe one or two pieces every few months normally pinched off of somebody else lol so no I would not and do not log it. Now if I were chewing my way through a pack or two a day then I might. It's the same with a few tick tacks or a single polo seems quite pointless to me but hey everyone is different. Log it, don't log it as long as you're happy it's all good :smile:
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    No, I don't log gum. I chew sugarless gum, which is less than 5 calories. Now here is the weird part - I read a study by the Mayo Clinic that chewing a piece of gum for an hour burns 11 calories. So I try my hardest not to spit the gum out for at least 30 minutes lol. That way, I know I at least burned the calories in the gum...

Yes, I'm weird.