Do "sugarphobes" also avoid drinking any alcohol?

Replies

• Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    before I address anything you just posted, could you please tell me what your criteria for "clean" ice cream is? which brand or type of ice cream is "unclean"? thanks in advance for clarification.

To me, "clean ice cream" is that which is made with natural, preferably organic, whole ingredients that are minimally processed. Milk, cream, sugar, cocoa, etc. Once they start adding things like "guar gum" and "carageenan" (yes, seaweed but it doesn't belong in my ice cream), then it falls to "unclean" status in MY playbook. To you, it may be different. Because I don't demonize things like natural fats and sugars, they can still be clean as long as they are relatively pure (no additives for shelf life/profitability beyond the basic ingredients), minimally processed and in reasonable quantities. (EDIT: Example, organic vanilla ice cream with a little maple syrup and some chopped walnuts is clean eating to me. Snickers or oreos crushed into ice-milk made with a bunch of crappy ingredients is not clean eating to me, and not worth the calorie expenditure due to low quality of both taste and nutrition. Hope that helps.)

Purists may disagree and your mileage may vary.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    I wonder if people who avoid eating pure sodium and pure chlorine also avoid eating sodium chloride.
    Excellent question.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    before I address anything you just posted, could you please tell me what your criteria for "clean" ice cream is? which brand or type of ice cream is "unclean"? thanks in advance for clarification.

To me, "clean ice cream" is that which is made with natural, preferably organic, whole ingredients that are minimally processed. Milk, cream, sugar, cocoa, etc. Once they start adding things like "guar gum" and "carageenan" (yes, seaweed but it doesn't belong in my ice cream), then it falls to "unclean" status in MY playbook. To you, it may be different. Because I don't demonize things like natural fats and sugars, they can still be clean as long as they are relatively pure (no additives for shelf life/profitability beyond the basic ingredients), minimally processed and in reasonable quantities. (EDIT: Example, organic vanilla ice cream with a little maple syrup and some chopped walnuts is clean eating to me. Snickers or oreos crushed into ice-milk made with a bunch of crappy ingredients is not clean eating to me, and not worth the calorie expenditure due to low quality of both taste and nutrition. Hope that helps.)

See above. Ben & Jerry's completely fails YOUR definition of clean eating.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I wonder if people who avoid eating pure sodium and pure chlorine also avoid eating sodium chloride.

*snort*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I consider B&J's "clean ice cream,"
    To me, "clean ice cream" is that which is made with natural, preferably organic, whole ingredients that are minimally processed. Milk, cream, sugar, cocoa, etc. Once they start adding things like "guar gum" and "carageenan" (yes, seaweed but it doesn't belong in my ice cream), then it falls to "unclean" status in MY playbook.

FYI, guar gum and carageenan are both in most flavors of Ben & Jerry's, including vanilla.

You're moving from statements that make sense to total nonsense. You're starting to imply that a few small amounts of some perfectly safe ingredients can significantly change the nutritive value of a food. Adding a little bit of guar gum to something doesn't suddenly make it unhealthy.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,260 Member
    All I can say to this is... Octoberfest in AZ this weekend!! Woohoo!!

I will however be going to the gym in the am before i go.. just to make myself feel better haha!
  • QuietBloom
    Sodium is not an added nutrient for me, but an added detriment. To each his own.

What?! Sodium is a critical electrolyte! We die quite rapidly if levels dip too low.
  • QuietBloom

Clean ice cream is the kind that doesn't stain my shirt when I dribble.
  • QuietBloom
    I don't eat sugar. So I have enough calories for wine. Nothing inconsistent about that.

I have some news for you about that wine......

But she's not eating it, is she? She is drinking it. :bigsmile:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

rimshot-o.gif
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    I don't eat sugar. So I have enough calories for wine. Nothing inconsistent about that.

I have some news for you about that wine......

But she's not eating it, is she? She is drinking it. :bigsmile:

Zing!
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    In for eating all the sugar and drinking all the alcohol!
  • QuietBloom

rimshot-o.gif

In fact, I often use it in place of detergent in the wash.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Why do you care what other people eat or drink?

why do you care why i care about what other people eat or drink?
    I don't, burro. just in to watch more badgering and mocking, or "educating" as it's called here.
    :drinker:

I thought we were all here for the same reason?

To avoid sugar and carbs because they're obviously the source of all society's ills.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Sugar (a carbohydrate) and alcohol are as different to your body as carbohydrates are to proteins and fats, they are totally different chemically in their structures and properties. Just because alcohol (ethanol) is a byproduct of fermentation doesn't make it inherit anything from the original nutrient consumed by the yeast. Waste products are molecules given off by chemical reactions which usually have no similarities to the original inputs.

You may be confused by things called "sugar alcohols" which are mostly artificial sweeteners. Some can occur naturally, but most are made by hydrogenation of sugars as manufactured products. They are a totally different animal than ethanol, though, and have chemically different structures and properties than alcohol.
  • BrainyBurro
    Sugar (a carbohydrate) and alcohol are as different to your body as carbohydrates are to proteins and fats, they are totally different chemically in their structures and properties. Just because alcohol (ethanol) is a byproduct of fermentation doesn't make it inherit anything from the original nutrient consumed by the yeast. Waste products are molecules given off by chemical reactions which usually have no similarities to the original inputs.

You may be confused by things called "sugar alcohols" which are mostly artificial sweeteners. Some can occur naturally, but most are made by hydrogenation of sugars as manufactured products. They are a totally different animal than ethanol, though, and have chemically different structures and properties than alcohol.

i'm not confused. most alcoholic drinks still contain sugars. and since ethanol comes from sugar, shouldn't the sugarphobes still want to avoid it? sugar + refinement/fermentation -> ethanol. without the sugar, there is no ethanol. and refined sugar is bad, so ethanol must also be bad.
  • QuietBloom
    Oh fun! Look, we women (always knew we were special snowflakes) can drink alcohol and LOSE WEIGHT!! Goin' to the liquor store right now.

Alcohol, Calories & Weight

Alcohol contains calories, but drinking alcohol doesn't lead to weight gain, according to extensive medical research, and some studies report a small reduction in weight for women who drink.1

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/AlcoholCaloriesAndWeight.html
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    I consider B&J's "clean ice cream,"
    To me, "clean ice cream" is that which is made with natural, preferably organic, whole ingredients that are minimally processed. Milk, cream, sugar, cocoa, etc. Once they start adding things like "guar gum" and "carageenan" (yes, seaweed but it doesn't belong in my ice cream), then it falls to "unclean" status in MY playbook.

FYI, guar gum and carageenan are both in most flavors of Ben & Jerry's, including vanilla.

You're moving from statements that make sense to total nonsense. You're starting to imply that a few small amounts of some perfectly safe ingredients can significantly change the nutritive value of a food. Adding a little bit of guar gum to something doesn't suddenly make it unhealthy.

but she uses organic ingredients and protein powders (lol cuz protein powders are so "clean") when she bakes cookies. that doesn't make it, like, basically negative calories?!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member

i'm not confused. most alcoholic drinks still contain sugars. and since ethanol comes from sugar, shouldn't the sugarphobes still want to avoid it? sugar + refinement/fermentation -> ethanol. without the sugar, there is no ethanol. and refined sugar is bad, so ethanol must also be bad.

Alcohol can be made without refined sugar. In fact, many (most?) aren't made with refined sugar, but rather other forms of carbohydrates. How refined those sources are varies by the type of alcohol you're looking to make.

Beer uses barley
    Canadian whiskey uses rye
    Mead uses honey
    Vodka often uses potatoes, but can use rice, fruit, or grains (and some are made with sugar)
    Scotch uses malted barley
    Irish whiskey uses unmalted barley (though some also use malted)

So yeah, faulty premise leads to faulty conclusion.
  • BrainyBurro

Alcohol can be made without refined sugar. In fact, many (most?) aren't made with refined sugar, but rather other forms of carbohydrates. How refined those sources are varies by the type of alcohol you're looking to make.

Beer uses barley
    Canadian whiskey uses rye
    Mead uses honey
    Vodka often uses potatoes, but can use rice, fruit, or grains (and some are made with sugar)
    Scotch uses malted barley
    Irish whiskey uses unmalted barley (though some also use malted)

So yeah, faulty premise leads to faulty conclusion.

ethanol comes from either sucrose, glucose, or fructose. those are sugars.

i called the distillation process the "refinement" process.

so to me, these are "refined sugars".

some have countered that during the refinement, the sugar ceases to exist, so therefore ethanol is not really refined sugar anymore and is ok to ingest.

metabolically this may be true. but it still amuses me that table sugar is considered bad, but if you unleash some yeast on it and allow the yeast to eat it and then poo/wee out the byproducts, it magically becomes ok to eat.

so not a faulty premise nor a faulty conclusion, but an interesting exercise in trying to understand the sugarphobia on this site a little better.
This discussion has been closed.