Who is that "average woman" who needs to eat 2,000 cal?

Options
On shows about weight, such as "supersized vs. superskinny" or "secret eaters" they keep repeating that an average woman needs to eat 2,000 calories a day and average man 2,500(that is so not fair, btw :o).

But all online calculators tell me that my maintenance rate if I am not active is 1,300 calories. That sounds extremely depressing. (BTW, I've been losing eating 1,500 NET calories, so I think this might be inaccurate). Sure, I'm active, but since I eat back all of my workout calories, that should not matter for this calculation.

Is the 2,000 calorie diet a myth, and women who eat that will be slowly gaining weight?
WHO is that average woman that can eat 2,000?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When I exercise my goal is 2000+ (depending on how much I exercise). I'm guessing it's based on how active the person is, plus height and current weight.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9", if I were trying to maintain my weight (at a normal weight), I think that would be about what I would aim for. I am not overly "active," but I do work out 3-5 times a week at a moderate intensity and walk my dog at least 30 minutes a day. For me, I'm lucky because I'm pretty tall and actually have a muscular build, so those factors are definitely working in my favor.

ETA: Actually, I think I would probably aim for slightly more than 2,000, as I just calculated my TDEE based on my current information and it's coming out to around 2,500. I will hopefully weigh less soon, though, so that will mean fewer calories!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I average 1800-2000 calories/day my TDEE is 2600 and seems to be pretty accurate. I lose with these numbers.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Get between 1800 and 2200 maintenance cals on different calculators for a 25 yr old, 5'6, 135 lb woman who exercises around an hour/day. Shrugs.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou, that is why I mentioned NET. -- If I exercise 500 calories I eat 2,000 calories. That is 1,500 NET.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    All of the calculators tell me that my current BMR is about 1500 and TDEE (sedentary) is about 2000. When I reach goal my BMR will be about 1300. I can't imagine how tiny you'd have to be have your TDEE be 1300 calories. Are you sure that's not your BMR?
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options

WHO is that average woman that can eat 2,000?

A woman of average height and weight, I imagine. Are you petite by any chance?
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Depends on how active you are. Maintenance is just over 2000 calories per day at 5'4'', 121 pounds and 17% body fat but that's when I'm working out 6 days a week. When I'm actually sedentary (not working our) maintenance is 1600.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Ha, good question O_O

I know this :

I'm 5'2 @ 130lbs. Quite active as I exercise most days and keep myself busy, I like to move around a lot

My BMR is 1348 (Calculated with BF% given by Dexa Scan, so I believe it to be quite accurate)
    If I were sedentary and didn't exercise that would mean my maintenance would be around 1617, so I guess that if I were to eat 2000 a day I would slowly gain about 0.7lbs a week.

Now, if I take into account my real lifestyle, my maintenance is around 2156 (mind you I lift 3X a week, do HIIT for 20 mins 3X a week, and yoga + running 10-12 miles a week)

So do they consider the average woman active and therefore she needs 2000ish calories?
    I guess weight/height/ body composition has much to do with it.
  • koukla0808
    Options
    I think they mean active...at my goal weight of 160 lbs and height of 6 feet, an active woman of my height and weight would need around 2800 calories a day, so I'm assuming average would be around the 2000 calorie a day mark.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not average. I'm 5'2", 115 lbs, 56 yrs old and my BMR is 1194. I maintain on about 1500 without eating back any exercise unless it's some kind endurance thing like a 3 hour bike ride or a couple hours of running.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou, that is why I mentioned NET. -- If I exercise 500 calories I eat 2,000 calories. That is 1,500 NET.

Ah, I must have skipped right over that, lol.

I just put in my numbers on scooby, and if I were maintaining my current weight at 5'2 I would be at like 1900 at sedentary. It's only a little under 2000. And of course, the number goes way up with activity.
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am 5"4 and my weight stays between 130-135 pounds. I lift 3 times per week and run about 10-15 miles per week. I maintain on 2000-2200 calories.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I calculated what my maintenance amount would be at 155, and at my height of 5'11'' and lifestyle I could eat 2000 comfortably and not gain. Now I'm currently at about 171 or so, so I am eating 2000 cal/day in hopes that my body will find it's set point and that it will be at about 155. I just started doing this so I'll give it until the end of the year to see if I lose weight. If I'm down to the mid 160s or less then I'll just continue and see what happens over another three months. Maybe I'll even hit goal before Spring! Wouldn't THAT be great! :bigsmile:
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If I exercise 500 calories I eat 2,000 calories. That is 1,500 NET.
    Then the answer is you! You are eating 2000 calories. Typically when they quote numbers like that they don't have the forum to go in to a big discussion about exercies calories, etc. The majority of the population isn't tracking exercise calories versus food calories so those 500 calories that bring your net down isn't something that a lot of people think about. So it's still them eating 2000 calories. It's basically the TDEE method that I, and others, follow on MFP too. I maintain at about 2100-2200/day and I'm 5'5" so the answer would be me too.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am 5"4 and my weight stays between 130-135 pounds. I lift 3 times per week and run about 10-15 miles per week. I maintain on 2000-2200 calories.

I am an inch shorter and weigh 10-15 pounds more, I have a similar work out routine, I also maintain upwards of 2,300 calories. If you are MAINTAINING at 1,300 there is PROBABLY something wrong.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This is interesting - I know everybody is different, but I am at the low end (almost below) my BMI range, and I eat around 2000 calories a day - some days less, some days more, but it averages out.

I do make sure thosee 2000 calories are as clean as possible (cutting out chips and sodas, and adding fresh veggies and fruits for example), but so far I count myself very blessed.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If I exercise 500 calories I eat 2,000 calories. That is 1,500 NET.
    Then the answer is you! You are eating 2000 calories. Typically when they quote numbers like that they don't have the forum to go in to a big discussion about exercies calories, etc. The majority of the population isn't tracking exercise calories versus food calories so those 500 calories that bring your net down isn't something that a lot of people think about. So it's still them eating 2000 calories. It's basically the TDEE method that I, and others, follow on MFP too. I maintain at about 2100-2200/day and I'm 5'5" so the answer would be me too.

The majority of the population does not exercise 500 calories a day either.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    The reason for that may well be that you are active. Ok so you may be eating back workout calories, but I'm going to assume you still walk about somewhat during the day, get out of bed, do some shopping, go to work (even if it's a sit down job)

Maybe the "not active" meant the same as BMR. BMR is the minimum that your body requires to function normally in a coma-like state. This would therefore sound about right. It is completely different to maintainence levels for daily activity (not incl workouts)
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Oh, I should also note that I do not eat back my exercise, which I do 4 to 5 days a week.