Who is that "average woman" who needs to eat 2,000 cal?

Options

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    This thread is so mean...

..........................get it.

Ugh.

And this is why you will *never* be on my FL.

cp-gif-12-13.gif
  • jen4relient22
    Options
    i easily maintain at 2,000/day with pretty much no exercise (just walking to work, being somewhat active throughout the day, etc). of course, when i decided to lose weight (that i gained over the course of 6 months or so eating really really really badly, easily over 3000 cals/day and working from home) i went at it pretty hard, dropped to 1400/day and didn't eat back my exercise calories.... so now i'm letting my metabolism recover while i slowly increase my intake.

overall though, as a 5'7, 135lb woman 2000 cals is perfect for me to maintain without exercising much.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This thread is so mean...

..........................get it.

Ugh.

And this is why you will *never* be on my FL.

cp-gif-12-13.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Another one raising the average ... 5'8.5", 163.8lbs, and extremely active outside of exercise (as in I regularly get around 1000 calories worth of fitbit adjustment, on top of being set at very active), and maintain on 2500-3000 calories.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is above 2000 calories a day... but I'm a tall woman.

But in another thread, you said you weren't being consistent with your logging/eating so how do you know what your maintenance is? And if you know your maintenance, then I'm confused about the other thread in where you had issues losing.

Sorry, it just stuck out is all. But...back to the averages I guess....

Isn't there something about creating drama by bringing stuff from other threads? Why is my maintenance any of your damn concern in the first place?

It was just a question...sheesh.

At my height and weight, MFP has my maintenance (for sedentary) at 2230.

I have had my goal at 1800 calories for most of this year. No... I did not always stay at 1800 calories. Guesstimating, I would say I ate at maintenance or higher 6 to 8 times a month.

I'm having some hormone issues.

Why can I not ask a general nutrition question without giving a complete breakdown of my diet/fitness/macro-ratios and overall general health? My diary is my business... if I don't want anyone poking around in it, then that is my choice.

And yes, jonnythan, I deleted you... because you champion IIFYM, then wagged your finger at me when I let you in my diary!!

No one's asking to see your diary or berating you or anything like that.

Joy simply asked how you know your maintenance because of other questions you asked earlier. I wondered the same thing when I read this post.
    And, I'm sorry, but you can't ask people to isolate your posts and only respond to them on an individual basis. If you post something about having trouble losing weight, and then post that you aren't logging/tracking/weighing, and THEN post that you know what your maintenance is.....well, people are going to put 1+1+1 together and come to a conclusion about what your problem might be. And then, they may even offer advice on how to fix your issue (medical conditions aside).

That's how MFP works. That's how I've seen you work in the forums many times. Don't be surprised and upset when people ask questions about inconsistent posts.

I'm genuinely sorry if it seemed that I lashed out a Joy. It's become a sensitive subject for me as I feel as if I have been ridiculed for how I choose to work my program. I do not weigh food. I have not been weighing myself. My question that wAs posted in the group was a general question about nutrition and it's relationship to hormones. I didn't feel like opening my diary was necessary to answer a general question relevant to everyone, in general.

But that wasn't a general question, relevant to everyone. Your question was very specific and relevant to your situation.

And you may have something going on - that's for your doctor to determine. But the advice you got in the thread still stands. You need to be more accurate and thorough with MFP before you can claim you're not seeing results.

If you don't log, don't weigh your food, don't exercise, etc, then you're missing pieces of the puzzle. So.....medical issues still aside, you are complaining about not getting results while not doing the work. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's simple for me to see what the problem is. And if there is a medical situation, it will not absolve you of having to do those things in order to reach your goal weight. If anything, you'll have to be twice as diligent.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    And back to averages: I maintain on about 2300/day. I'm 5'6", 180lbs and I exercise regularly.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    You also have to realize that most people on this site do not utilize TDEE calculations until long after they've restricted calories and lost weight. Thus, their adjusted TDEE is reduced from baseline.

Here is an example, albeit an extreme one of two persons of identical height, weight and activity levels:

Person A is a yo-yo dieter who has lost weight rapidly only to gain it all back numerous times by following a semi-starvation diet.

Person B has never restricted calories before and has lived her entire life eating, at minimum, the maximum amount to maintain.

Because of Person A's restriction history, she will have a significantly less TDEE than Person B.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Get between 1800 and 2200 maintenance cals on different calculators for a 25 yr old, 5'6, 135 lb woman who exercises around an hour/day. Shrugs.

I am a 36 year old woman, 5'6 and 132 and I eat around 2000 calories a day and workout about an hour+ a day and have been maintaining for the past 7 months so that would be correct....although the age is different.
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of snarky comments. Be nice people, we're all here for the same reason. If you can't be a positive influence, keep your mouth shut.

I did find a neat TDEE calculator that gives you percentages of what to eat based on exercise level. Not sure if it's true for my body, but might be right for yours.

Here's the link:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    we're all here for the same reason

Every time someone says this, a baby seal gets clubbed.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

and gently placed between 2 burger patties to create the ultimate McSealDoubleDown!

yummmmmmmmmmm
  • jonnythan
    Options

and gently placed between 2 burger patties to create the ultimate McSealDoubleDown!

yummmmmmmmmmm

Now you're talkin.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I'm 44, 5'11, fairly active and my TDEE varies from 2500-3000 and I plan on keeping it that high. :wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    My maintenance is above 2000 calories a day... but I'm a tall woman.

But in another thread, you said you weren't being consistent with your logging/eating so how do you know what your maintenance is? And if you know your maintenance, then I'm confused about the other thread in where you had issues losing.

Sorry, it just stuck out is all. But...back to the averages I guess....

Isn't there something about creating drama by bringing stuff from other threads? Why is my maintenance any of your damn concern in the first place?

It was just a question...sheesh.

At my height and weight, MFP has my maintenance (for sedentary) at 2230.

I have had my goal at 1800 calories for most of this year. No... I did not always stay at 1800 calories. Guesstimating, I would say I ate at maintenance or higher 6 to 8 times a month.

I'm having some hormone issues.

Why can I not ask a general nutrition question without giving a complete breakdown of my diet/fitness/macro-ratios and overall general health? My diary is my business... if I don't want anyone poking around in it, then that is my choice.

And yes, jonnythan, I deleted you... because you champion IIFYM, then wagged your finger at me when I let you in my diary!!

No one's asking to see your diary or berating you or anything like that.

Joy simply asked how you know your maintenance because of other questions you asked earlier. I wondered the same thing when I read this post.
    And, I'm sorry, but you can't ask people to isolate your posts and only respond to them on an individual basis. If you post something about having trouble losing weight, and then post that you aren't logging/tracking/weighing, and THEN post that you know what your maintenance is.....well, people are going to put 1+1+1 together and come to a conclusion about what your problem might be. And then, they may even offer advice on how to fix your issue (medical conditions aside).

That's how MFP works. That's how I've seen you work in the forums many times. Don't be surprised and upset when people ask questions about inconsistent posts.

I'm genuinely sorry if it seemed that I lashed out a Joy. It's become a sensitive subject for me as I feel as if I have been ridiculed for how I choose to work my program. I do not weigh food. I have not been weighing myself. My question that wAs posted in the group was a general question about nutrition and it's relationship to hormones. I didn't feel like opening my diary was necessary to answer a general question relevant to everyone, in general.

But that wasn't a general question, relevant to everyone. Your question was very specific and relevant to your situation.

And you may have something going on - that's for your doctor to determine. But the advice you got in the thread still stands. You need to be more accurate and thorough with MFP before you can claim you're not seeing results.

If you don't log, don't weigh your food, don't exercise, etc, then you're missing pieces of the puzzle. So.....medical issues still aside, you are complaining about not getting results while not doing the work. I'm not trying to be mean, but it's simple for me to see what the problem is. And if there is a medical situation, it will not absolve you of having to do those things in order to reach your goal weight. If anything, you'll have to be twice as diligent.

No one said I wasn't logging or exercising. All I said was that I don't weigh my food. I find it inconvenient. As I said in the group thread, I stopped lifting because I wasn't progressing with strength gains.

I'm offended by the fact that that conversation has poured over into this one. This thread was not about me. And my statement that my maintenance is above 2000 didn't contradict anything that I said in the other thread. What I said in the other thread is that hormone imbalance could be screwing with my maintenance intake. Yeah, 2230 might not be my actual maintenance level, but based on math it is. So, I don't see how "calling me out" for something I said in other threads was relevant.

Oh... and the question might have been relevant to my situation... or anyone else having issues with cortisol... which could be any number of people.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is lots of evidence in this thread that many people have no idea what "average" means. This makes me sad.

And what is your definition of "average"?
  • slpaul100
    slpaul100 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

There is something fundamentally wrong with you people who seem to find it amusing to berate or joke others. The majority of us are here for support and tracking, no matter what the individual goal: gain, lose or maintain. If someone asks for help, if you don't have any to offer, just don't respond.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What is this I don't even...next people will be crying foul because we don't all actually have 2.2 kids and 1.5 cats.

LEARN WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.

And I ask this question to you too;

PLEASE TELL US WHAT AVERAGE MEANS.. (weight, height, age, activities, what ever)
  • jonnythan
    Options

There is something fundamentally wrong with you people who seem to find it amusing to berate or joke others. The majority of us are here for support and tracking, no matter what the individual goal: gain, lose or maintain. If someone asks for help, if you don't have any to offer, just don't respond.

The phrase "we're all here for the same reason" is totally meaningless and wrong.

Furthermore, this meaningless and wrong phrase gets used all the time in an attempt to attack or discredit the "mean" or whatever comments, which are usually the ones that are most helpful, fact-based, and realistic.

We're not "all here for the same reason." Don't say that we are. Even if we were, that's not a valid criticism of anything anyone says.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

Just another day on MFP...
    tumblr_ld4pm0eMj61qcis6qo1_500.jpg