I don't go to gym's...

Options
I wasn't in a gym for 13 years. I don't like that everybody wants to be better than the other. I don't like the guys who do a lot of weight but the workout wrong and too fast. I don't like the people taking forever at a machine. ....

I have a punching bag at home. Situps, pushups and a lot more you can do at home as well. I run at least 100 flights of stairs a day. I go for a run or a brisk walk with my dog .... I don't go to gym's

I am wondering if I am the only one not hitting the gym.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't go to a gym...I have weights at home.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    lots of people don't use gyms... but I feel like you're perception of the gym is just that- your perception.

most people seriously don't give a crap about you or your workout.

I do a fair but of at home style workouts- nothing wrong with it.

But I prefer the gym- I hate working out at home. so I don't.

if you hate the gym- then work out else where. no harm no foul.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Never been to a gym! I like it like that!
  • RuleFive
    RuleFive Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Sounds like someone has a confidence issue.

Who cares if someone lifts more than you. SOMEONE ALWAYS WILL.

If you lift more than you did the last time you were there, or last month, last year. Then good on you.

No more gym shaming.

/
  • bassmanlarry
    bassmanlarry Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Never been to a gym, prefer to workout at home. Guess I'm antisocial.
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well, working out at home is so much better than not working out at all.. But working out at the gym is better.. But, why would you pay attention to anyone out there, how much weight they lift or whatever? Just do your thing, focus on yourself and leave.. As the user from above said... Probably 99 % of the people really don't care what you're doing...
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I've done both, was a gym rat for years, and no one ever made me feel like that, I just went in, put on my ipod and got my workouts done. I work out at home now and love not haveing to go anywhere!! Don't know that I will ever join a gym again, but only because I can get a great workout at home.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I use to go as I enjoyed the classes and meeting people ( I work from home, so isolating)...now I play tennis and go to crossfit which really isn't at a gym...so I didn't have your experience....but nope, no gym here
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I have my gym in my basement and the local roads/bike trails. I haven't ever joined a gym nor do I plan to. I lift weighs at home, run & bid outdoors when possible or on my treadmill/stationary bike if I can't be outside.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I you don't like gyms because you're consumed with other people's workouts while you're there, that sounds like a personal problem. I go to a gym because I have a really good deal on a gym membership, and the cost of building a home gym that would be anywhere near as effective as the gym I attend would be absurd. From my experience, most people at the gym bust their *kitten* and focus on their workout and don't even realize there are other people in the building.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    The gym is not for me.

I bought a power rack so I could lift at home.

I run outside.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love my gym, their childcare is fantastic, and everyone that I actually interact with at all is nice. I'm probably one of the lesser fit people(everyone there looks pretty in shape for the most part) but no one makes me feel weird. If someone is on your machine/using your weights, they are usually done in a minute or two, so I just go do my next workout and come back to that. I don't like working out at home though, and don't have any space/money for the equipment I would really want lol My hubby works out at home and does the pool on base sometimes, he doesn't mind not going to the gym. I think that's just because he works such long hours he doesn't want to be gone longer than necessary though.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    The gym is not for me.

I bought a power rack so I could lift at home.

I run outside.

This

I could never get into the power cage at my gym because someone was always in it, so I got my own.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    100 flights of stairs...wow!!!

I don't go to a gym. I have considered it, but I am not sure if I would really go enough to make it worthwhile financially. I strongly doubt it. I can see my introvert self getting really annoyed very quickly with other gymgoers. The last thing I want/need is another socially awkward experience in my day. FTR I'm not really awkward, but I'm too nice to other people a lot of the time and wind up in awkward situations due to others' behavior LOL
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym because I cant afford it. I work out at home using my laptop to watch workout videos.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Well, working out at home is so much better than not working out at all.. But working out at the gym is better..

The barbell and plates in my garage weigh just as much as they do at the gym.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I don't like the guys who do a lot of weight but the workout wrong and too fast.

i dont really know what to say about that so 'lol' is just going to have to do.
    But working out at the gym is better..

why do you say that?

i'd say I'm virtually grantueed to get a better weight workout at the gym, if i didn't got to planet fitness and have to fight over the one and only flat bench press bench.

I get a far better workout at home. I'd spend a few hundred dollars and get a much better free weight set up then i typically get access to at planet fitness but i like going just because thats pretty much the only way i get 'out'.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm with you in that I don't like a crowd at a gym. Yes, I'm self conscious, and yes I want to use what I want to use when I want to use it. I own it. Fortunately for me, I live in a relatively small town and use my gym from 6-7 a.m. when there is NO ONE THERE BUT ME! :D If not for that, I'd probably have to outfit a home gym.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

False.

The pavement outside allows me to run the same (actually better) than a treadmill.

My rack, barbell, and weights all work the same as a gym one would. And it's always available for use.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

False.

The pavement outside allows me to run the same (actually better) than a treadmill.

My rack, barbell, and weights all work the same as a gym one would. And it's always available for use.

Exactly. My weights are always available, so is the rack, the bench, and anything else I feel like using. And I don't have to worry about wiping someone's butt juice off the equipment so I don't get a staph infection.