I don't go to gym's...

Options

Replies

• kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    i haven't been to a gym in years.....1) right now i really can't afford the ongoing membership every month.....2) up until june, i lived about 15 minutes drive away from one and i knew that in winter (i'm in Canada...brrrr) i just wouldn't want to get in my car and go and brave the cold and the bad roads.....i have beachbody workouts....BBL, p90x and Chalean Extreme and some dumb bells and that's what i use....i could cope with the one-off cost of the programs and that's it....in the future that may change but right now i just can't justify the expense....i would like to add the different machines, weights etc that a gym would give me but not right now....sigh!!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    You don't go to gym's what? Gym's change rooms? Gym's ladies' area? Which gym? I am so confused. What does this gym posess?
  • Xtrobelights
    Xtrobelights Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in a gym for 13 years. I don't like that everybody wants to be better than the other. I don't like the guys who do a lot of weight but the workout wrong and too fast. I don't like the people taking forever at a machine. ....

I hate people taking forever at a machine too but that's life. The other things you mentioned....why the **** do you care what everyone else is doing?? I'm glad you don't go to a gym, people like you judging others is why people feel self conscious at gyms. Let people do what they gotta do and leave it at that. Unless they're personally bothering you then don't hate on someone doing their workout.
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    I wasn't in a gym for 13 years. I don't like that everybody wants to be better than the other. I don't like the guys who do a lot of weight but the workout wrong and too fast. I don't like the people taking forever at a machine. ....

I hate people taking forever at a machine too but that's life. The other things you mentioned....why the **** do you care what everyone else is doing?? I'm glad you don't go to a gym, people like you judging others is why people feel self conscious at gyms. Let people do what they gotta do and leave it at that. Unless they're personally bothering you then don't hate on someone doing their workout.

I don't judge! I said I don't like ... that's why I don't go. Everybody should do what he likes...
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I don't judge!

what+it+means.jpg
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I love to do both. I love going to the gym. I go at 5am and it's great there won't be anymore than 5 people at the most. No problems in getting on any of the equipment. I also love to run and in the next couple of weeks I'll be getting a bike. I love the variety
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    You don't go to gym's what?

grammar-nazi_c_254474.jpg

He is foreign.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    You may not go to gyms, but since you are on my friends list, I see your exercise logs. You are KILLING it on those stairs! :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Options
    I LOVE the gym. Here is why:

I really enjoy the classes they are a great way of meeting new people who have similar interests. My instructor is a personal trainer so routines are well balanced, he also corrects my form and pushes me harder than working out by myself. It gives me new workout ideas and changes up my routine.

I do not have the money or space for workout equipment at home and even if I did it would probably become a clothes rack. When I am at home I have little motivation. I guess my couch just calls my name.

I live near Detroit so in the winter cardio outside can be tricky so the gym allows me to continue to have a balanced workout of cardio, heavy lifting and circuit training.

I understand why some are not fans of the gym I say it doesnt matter where you workout as long as you are accomplishing your goals.

Haha, I live in Detroit as well, and I just joined a gym at the end of the summer. I am loving it!
  • xmysterix
    xmysterix Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nah. I have free weights, an elliptical, balance ball, trampoline, and yoga videos, and live on a quiet circular road. A gym would be (and has been, before) a waste of money. My only obstacle is my own laziness.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options

I have a punching bag at home. Situps, pushups and a lot more you can do at home as well. I run at least 100 flights of stairs a day. I go for a run or a brisk walk with my dog .... I don't go to gym's

I am wondering if I am the only one not hitting the gym.

Nope, I chucked my gym membership (after about 10years and 5 different gyms) in January this year in favour of work out DVDs & HIIT training at home.

FAR cheaper, quicker, easier and sustainable for me.

I can see how people enjoy the sociable side of it but that was not for me.

The main reason I joined a gym was to have a decent shower available near where I worked.
    :smile:
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership as I just wouldn't bother if I didn't have a routine of going straight from work. I like doing classes which are included in the price. However, I had a membership at a mixed gym the year before & I went erm 3 times. I think it's more down to the actual gym itself. Rather than just attending "a gym".
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I workout at home too ... I have a treadmill, a bike, an elliptical, a heavy bag, a Pilates reformer, weights, and "around the block" in my neighborhood is slightly more than half a mile (my own built in track, complete with a hill, lol) ... I like being able to workout when I want, wearing what I want, singing along to my music, counting reps out loud, you know, doing all the things that other gym patrons would find absolutely annoying ... Oh, and I like the fact that sweaty strangers aren't using the same equipment ...
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym unless a friend forces me to. :)

I don't like the commute time , don't like waiting for a machine and don't like showering there. I need to work out as soon as I roll out of bed, and it needs to be fast, or it doesn't fit in my schedule. So, I do videos at home and use free weights.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I love the gym! I miss the gym :(

But they started keeping the pool too cold for how I have to workout, and I was only justifying the cost because of the pool. I can do the rest at home (except that wonderful jacuzzi, too, darnit). I shouldn't drive there (pretty far) every day, either, when my own equipment is good enough with a little creativity.

But I do love it. Everyone is so focused on something athletic, and that's very fun, I think :) Yes, some of the free weights guys were unfriendly, but that happens everywhere. I can take the side eye. I know my goals and I don't care if you stare.

I kind of felt like the hulk in the advanced yoga classes, though; those chicks were teeny tiny (petite)! :D Body diversity is a good thing, so roll with it was my feeling in the end. I stayed in back with the guys so I blended in better, though, lol.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    I built a home gym, but, kept going to my gym. Then I got injured. Since returning to training I've been using my home gym.

Pros:
    Sweat as much as I want without feeling bad about dripping on equipment
    No waiting for a power rack or bench (I own one)
    No travel time
    No music I dislike

Cons:
    Floor isnt perfectly level
    Dont have cables for cable crunches
    Missing other accessories Id use at the gym
    No SCR
    No smith machine for standing calf raises
    No dumbbells
    No eye candy

At $10 a month, my gym is packed. For me, lifting at home has been worth it. I'll probably be back at my gym soon, but, only to use less popular equipment. I like lifting at home alone.
  • leachjg
    leachjg Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have never stepped foot inside a gym.. I've lost 50lbs working out to DVDs, always rotating and adding new ones for $10 or less per each and seven weeks I started using run double c25k and added running into the mix. I will use my husbands fire station "gym" when the weather gets too bad to run outside.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is an odd thread. I currently dont go to a gym, but for a long time I was a gym rat. Typically it was a low key whole in the wall gym & not a big fancy box gym. I may eventually go back to a gym, I may continue on doing my thing at home, I can meet all my goals regardless of the location I'm working out.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about what every one else is doing at the gym your there for the wrong reason anyways.

Also I find it hilarious when someone critiques everyone at the gym, like everyone else should be doing exactly what you are doing or it's wrong...
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I enjoy my big box gym. It has a Sauna, Pool, & Hot Tub. All my favorite post lifting activities. I have a curl bar and some free weights at home if bored but I like going there seeing someone throw up 10 reps of 225 and use that to fuel myself to be stronger. I'm the type of people that see someone lifting heavy that I know I need to get that point. By myself at home I'd just get bored to be honest.