For you dedicated thrifters

Options
Frankie_Felinius
Frankie_Felinius Posts: 1,398 Member
What is your greatest Goodwill/Salvation Army/resale shop find?

I found a set of rollers that I paid $2.88 for that sell on Ebay for $60-$90. The pagaent moms love 'em...
A Kenneth Cole swimsuit, new with tags ($100+) for $7.
A Reuge music box that I paid a few bucks for
BCBgirls heels that normally retail for $135, I got for $4.38, maybe worn once or twice.

Replies

• mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    I routinely find Adidas/Greg Norman/Ping/whatever men's golf shirts in perfect condition, sometimes with the tags still on, for under $5. Those usually retail for $50-70.

I don't go often, maybe once a month, but when I do, that's what I'm on the lookout for.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    we found a beautiful grandfather clock with a moon and sundial in perfect working condition for $45 at Goodwill simply because the staff didnt know how to set the weights and assumed it was broken.
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    At our local Goodwill they have 39 cent specials every Sunday. I got tons of name brand clothes, some new with tags. I love Goodwill.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    1920-something black Singer sewing machine with table for $10
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

Damn! Working? Even if not, that would look look as hell!
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Not working, but looks really nice just sitting there, LOL :smile:
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

Not working, but looks really nice just sitting there, LOL :smile:

That is rad...very jealous. I don't have the time or the know how to sew anyway...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I take the GF & daughter to Plato's Closet instead.

They have a much bigger selection and mostly high-mid end used clothes that are incredible and unique. Things you will never find in salvation army.

They always have sales like whatever you can stuff in a bag for $15 and such. Shirts usually range $4-$5 and can get a pair of $80-$100 jeans for $10-$20 all day long.

I can't believe what they sell for how cheap. Its truly amazing.

Nice thing is they will buy clothes from you also.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1105383-some1-that-has-had-cancer-would-like-share-a-run-with-me-2
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

They have a much bigger selection and mostly high-mid end used clothes that are incredible and unique. Things you will never find in salvation army.

$80-$100 jeans for $10-$20 all day long

Depends what you are looking for. As a retro enthusiast, I say the same thing (things you won't find anywhere else) about Salvation Army, well, excpet for the high-mid end part...it is all over the map with that. And $20 at Goodwill/SA will get me a whole outfit, shoes and purse included!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    So many things, most of my work clothes come from thrift stores (Ann Taylor, J. Crew, Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren, Kasper, Jones New York). My latest finds are a pair of $2 Brooks Brothers pants and Lucky Brand jeans that I still can't fit in, hope to by my birthday in January (or sooner).
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sooo many things!

But the best find? My wedding dress. It had even been made for a vertically-challenged person like myself, so only needed very minor alterations. Fully beaded bodice and beautiful full tulle skirt. I got the sleeves altered slightly and some length taken off. All up, including alterations it was under $150.

My kids adore op-shopping (that's what we call thrift stores here in Australia, Op-Shops). My DD even had an Op-Shop theme for her last birthday - all presents had to be either bought from the Op-Shop or handmade. We kept the local stores in business for a month in the lead up LOL and she got some awesome presents that you just couldn't afford or find otherwise. And all the kids had an awesome time choosing their outfits from the local stores as well - there were some interesting combinations! :laugh:
  • zevodactyl
    Options
    Paying $2 for a $30 book usually feels pretty good.

The biggest thing was probably a pair of $70 Doc Martens in my size and favorite shoe style for $9.
    Life can be good sometimes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Depends what you are looking for. As a retro enthusiast, I say the same thing (things you won't find anywhere else) about Salvation Army, well, excpet for the high-mid end part...it is all over the map with that. And $20 at Goodwill/SA will get me a whole outfit, shoes and purse included!

Plato's Closet have lots of retro stuff!! Especially jackets and blouses. Great thing about the place. They also have retro sunglasses, purses, and jewelry.

You can two outfits, shoes & purses for $20 when they have there $15 bag sale no problem
  • sueclare38
    Options
    I bought a pair of genuine ugg boots that looked brand new for £2, when I looked them up they cost £300. Omg, people pay that much for boots,lol.
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options

Plato's Closet have lots of retro stuff!! Especially jackets and blouses. Great thing about the place. They also have retro sunglasses, purses, and jewelry.

You can two outfits, shoes & purses for $20 when they have there $15 bag sale no problem

Dang, I didn't know that, thanks! Our local radio commercial for Plato's Closet says something about "the latest fashions" and whatnot so it threw me off...I'll definitely be checking it out!!
  • Frankie_Felinius
    Options
    Paying $2 for a $30 book usually feels pretty good.

The biggest thing was probably a pair of $70 Doc Martens in my size and favorite shoe style for $9.
    Life can be good sometimes.

I can't imagine buying books for retail prices. I think Goodwill here it is 88 cents a book. I got a Life Magazine photo book that chronicled the last century, how we eat, where we work, how we dress, education, etc and it retailed for $70! We have a bookcase that is 6ft by 4ft FULL of books purchased secondhand...imagine the price paid vs retail price! I always say I would love to somehow magically tally up all the booty I've gotten secondhand and how much it cost me vs how much it would have cost brand new. Boggles my mind...
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    found an Oscar de la Renta for Marshall Fields Asian inspired pant suit. Very Jackie O
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    About 10 years ago, while camping outside of Diggs, Idaho, I found at a little church thrift store a Duke Kahonumoku Hawaiian Shirt, a Laura Ashley dress (very sought after at the time), a few other designer dresses, and a......Hermes scarf. I paid $5 for the lot. I sold the scarf on Ebay for $600.
  • babykatmeows
    Options
    I adore thrift store shopping!! My favorite find was a 60's/70's olive green chair, best part was once I got it home, I realized the padded seat lifted to the side to reveal an open storage. (I think it's a sewing chair) Super deal at $5!!!
  • babykatmeows
    Options
    About 10 years ago, while camping outside of Diggs, Idaho, I found at a little church thrift store a Duke Kahonumoku Hawaiian Shirt, a Laura Ashley dress (very sought after at the time), a few other designer dresses, and a......Hermes scarf. I paid $5 for the lot. I sold the scarf on Ebay for $600.

Nice find on that scarf! I wouldn't have been able to sell it!! Lol!!