World egg 'free' day! Live without egg for just 1 day

Options
pinkraynedropjacki
pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
The egg industry has declared today ‘World Egg Day’– but we’d like to take this opportunity to put chickens BEFORE the egg by sharing with you something that the egg marketing machine won’t... In an industry where the worth of a hen is measured by how many eggs she can produce – have you ever stopped to wonder what happened to the boys?

The truth might shock you. For every female chicken hatched, there is one male; a tiny chirping bundle of fluff who will never produce an egg. He will never grow fast enough to be profitable for his meat. So he is simply disposed of – like a piece of rubbish.
Every year in Australia, 12 million day-old male chicks are gassed to death, or ground up alive. Tragically this is standard practice across all types of egg farming systems – whether free range, organic or factory farmed.

Today, we’re looking out for the little guys by inviting you to celebrate World Egg ‘Free’ day with us.

eggfree_zpsd54ebdba.jpg

Replies

• Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    :heart: I'm so silly I actually started crying, lol.
  • troy0
    troy0 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Do you have a reference or source for the information about the 12 mil per day male chicks gassed to death ?. Its very interesting and somewhat difficult to believe.

I can offer my heartfelt assistance to this plight by waiting for those 12 million little fellas to grow up at their natural rate in my backyard, then eat them.

Cute little furry bundles of protein.. mmmm
  • missmelt
    missmelt Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have my own freerange happy little chooks i feel sad for all the caged ones. Mine fly into trees, scratch up bugs and sand dust in the sun.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    :heart: I'm so silly I actually started crying, lol.

Yeah I always find stuff like this hard to read out aloud to my son & hubby :sad: even sad dog & cat stories :sad:
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    :(
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Do you have a reference or source for the information about the 12 mil per day male chicks gassed to death ?. Its very interesting and somewhat difficult to believe.

I can offer my heartfelt assistance to this plight by waiting for those 12 million little fellas to grow up at their natural rate in my backyard, then eat them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1326168/Secret-footage-shows-millions-British-chicks-killed-year.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick_culling

just do a google for day old chicks gassed & you will find something from all parts of the world
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Not having an egg free day, but every time I buy eggs they are only free range.

If I can work at a chicken 'processing' facility and still eat poultry products afterwards... not much is going to put me off! :wink:
  • smokeyg01
    smokeyg01 Posts: 1,064
    Options
    I eat like 6 eggs a day
  • l0l0p
    l0l0p Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that your trying to raise awareness and stop issues with the industry but can I politely suggest some more reputable sources?
    Daily mail and Wikipedia will make an argument look bad.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    I think it's great that your trying to raise awareness and stop issues with the industry but can I politely suggest some more reputable sources?
    Daily mail and Wikipedia will make an argument look bad.

I could grab it from anywhere, RSPCA here in Australia, UK, USA..... anywhere in the world. Last time I did something like this I was hounded out for being wrong. I was not wrong then & not now.

Pity that so many just think of the food & not why or how it's wrong to support.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Imnot implying your wrong, just suggesting that you link better sources. Sources with no credibility only weaken an argument
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    BRB making a 12 egg omelette.

wait for it....

yolks included.

Come at me cholesterol nazis.
  • Slrajr
    Options

If we did eat them I would feel much better about eating eggs, hell I might even start eating meat once in a while!
  • Slrajr
    Options

wait for it....

yolks included.

At least you didn't discard the yolks along with all the poor baby boy chicks:flowerforyou:
  • Slrajr
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I have my own freerange happy little chooks i feel sad for all the caged ones. Mine fly into trees, scratch up bugs and sand dust in the sun.

I love this:)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Female mantises usually chop off the male's head before he copulates...oh the humanity...
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    wait for it....
    yolks included.

Hey, eat up sistah! I'm making a 24 egg omelette because I dump out all the yolks. If we made omelettes together, you could have the yolks, I'll take the whites and we'd only use 12 eggs between us instead of 36. Then we could make 3 omelettes instead of 2. My math is solid.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No. I'm cold as ice.