So much hard work, and all I got was a 2 pound weight gain

Options
I have spent the last month truly killing it, and have stayed away from the scale so that when I weighed in today, I could have that victorious feeling of a weight drop... but no. 2 pounds gained.

I'm accurately counting calories and measuring everything. At or under 1200 per day and I DO NOT eat back my workout calories. I'm consuming mostly naturally occurring carbs, eating lean meat or getting protein from eggs, lentils or quinoa. I eat veggies and apples. I drink considerably more than 8 glasses of water per day.

I'm working out a dedicated 5-6 days per week, and if not 6, I'm definitely active on the "off" days. I don't log a ton of my workouts because it's entirely too tedious when I can't find anything close to what I've done and usually workout in circuits. Workouts are typically: 25+ minutes a day on the Total Gym at a 3 or 50% level, non-stop, cardio pace, I can't even count the reps I do because I do not waste a single second. I also take at least 1, usually 2 one-hour bootcamp classes per week. I am getting in several 4 minute short burst exercise sessions per day (it's 2 pm here and I've done them 4 times already). I sit on a ball a few hours a day when I'm at work. I park 1/2 mile from my office. I take extra long trips whenever I walk anywhere and always take the stairs (and usually will go up and down a few times each time I must use the stairs).

One day per week is a "free day." I can eat what I want and not workout, guilt free. I'm going to cut it out - make no mistake about that - but years ago, when I had 200 pounds to lose, I really started to lose a significant amount of weight when I added the "free day" Kind of like a Fit For Life program, only because I'm not bodybuilding, I used lower weight, much higher reps. I know everyone's going to blame it on the free day, and that's fine... but it has never impeded my progress, and only helped, in the past.

Frankly - I am about as disgusted as I could possibly be. Worse. I'm totally discouraged and defeated.

Replies

• nikkiclaire123
    Options
    i think you need to track what you eat on this 'free day' you could be undoing all of the good that you did through the week. i suggest a 'free meal' not a day. a day gives you license to eat 5000+ calories which will not help one bit.

also its worth noting that mfp overestimates workout calories.

are you sure your logging everything accurately?

something that may help is if you take body measurements or legs, arms, waist, chest, hips etc, you could be losing inches and building muscle
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options
    I'm just going to eliminate the free day. Maybe I'm officially at an age that what used to work like a champ no longer does. When I first started my journey, it was the catalyst to big numbers dropping off.

I haven't measured, that's a good idea.

I don't eat my workout calories back, and I only log minimal workouts anyway. It's way tedious and I do way too many different workouts to spend that much time logging it all in. My 25 minutes of Total Gym in the mornings alone involve 15 or more different exercises, and reps galore.

Yeah, I'm logging right. And measuring/weighing everything too.

The poor nurse at the Dr. office (where I weighed in) said, "Maybe it's muscle gain and water weight." Nice try, but +2 for a month of KILLING it is still +2, no matter how you try to justify it.

What sucks so bad I want to cry is that every single muscle on my body is sore - all the time - and for nothing. GRRRR
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    but the main thing is that your fitter than you was a month ago that has to count for something.

if it is water weight then try drinking more water so your body wont hold on to it, also maybe cut down on salt. also if your female then it could be the monthlies.

dont be discouraged just yet.
  • neenorROAR
    Options
    Genuinely curious, but why do you not eat back your exercise calories? Do you have any kind of health problem that requires you to eat so little? If not, that might be the problem? 1200 is very little to go on, let alone less than. It could be messing with your metabolism? I'm a still a newbie here really, but that's what I was told when I started and I've been losing with it. Of course, everyone is different (:
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options
    Thank you. I'm trying not to give in, because I do feel more fit.

If next month is a gain too - I'm going to strictly liquids. (On second thought, I could never pull that off).

It was just really deflating to hop on that scale SOOOO sure I was going to have this major victory, and instead to have gained.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have spent the last month truly killing it, and have stayed away from the scale so that when I weighed in today, I could have that victorious feeling of a weight drop... but no. 2 pounds gained.

I'm accurately counting calories and measuring everything. At or under 1200 per day and I DO NOT eat back my workout calories. I'm consuming mostly naturally occurring carbs, eating lean meat or getting protein from eggs, lentils or quinoa. I eat veggies and apples. I drink considerably more than 8 glasses of water per day.

I'm working out a dedicated 5-6 days per week, and if not 6, I'm definitely active on the "off" days. I don't log a ton of my workouts because it's entirely too tedious when I can't find anything close to what I've done and usually workout in circuits. Workouts are typically: 25+ minutes a day on the Total Gym at a 3 or 50% level, non-stop, cardio pace, I can't even count the reps I do because I do not waste a single second. I also take at least 1, usually 2 one-hour bootcamp classes per week. I am getting in several 4 minute short burst exercise sessions per day (it's 2 pm here and I've done them 4 times already). I sit on a ball a few hours a day when I'm at work. I park 1/2 mile from my office. I take extra long trips whenever I walk anywhere and always take the stairs (and usually will go up and down a few times each time I must use the stairs).

One day per week is a "free day." I can eat what I want and not workout, guilt free. I'm going to cut it out - make no mistake about that - but years ago, when I had 200 pounds to lose, I really started to lose a significant amount of weight when I added the "free day" Kind of like a Fit For Life program, only because I'm not bodybuilding, I used lower weight, much higher reps. I know everyone's going to blame it on the free day, and that's fine... but it has never impeded my progress, and only helped, in the past.

Frankly - I am about as disgusted as I could possibly be. Worse. I'm totally discouraged and defeated.

Why don't you fuel your workouts? (eating 1200 or less calories per day).

What is your weight/height?
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough :( on a NSV you are still 30 days closer to a healthy lifestyle. Did u take measurements? Perhaps you have gained some musclev
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options
    Genuinely curious, but why do you not eat back your exercise calories? Do you have any kind of health problem that requires you to eat so little? If not, that might be the problem? 1200 is very little to go on, let alone less than. It could be messing with your metabolism? I'm a still a newbie here really, but that's what I was told when I started and I've been losing with it. Of course, everyone is different (:

Mostly because I'm satisfied with what I'm eating now, nutritionally speaking. I've always seen the exercise calories as "bonus" towards losing the weight, not really as a green card to more food for the day.

I'm worried my metabolism may be changing because what used to work great for me, isn't working at all anymore. Like literally someone flipped a switch. In the past, if I had a month like the one I just had, I'd have dropped 10 pounds. But not anymore.

I wish we could "map" our metabolic rate. Hmmm... Can we? I'm going to have to Google it.
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options

5' 7"
    190 today
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, you definitely need to eat some more. I don't know if it is playing a role in your weight loss, but that is completely unhealthy to net under 1000 on most days.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    open your diary

if you do not already, get a food scale and WEIGH every bite that passes your lips....eyeballing/measuring cups/just going by what the package says is a portion is not accurate

take progress photos

take measurements

you are not eating enough to fuel your workouts

figure out your TDEE and eat 20% below that

this is not a race
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I definitely suggest measuring. I was stuck at a plateau for a month or so and was pretty down about it (kept losing/gaining the same lbs), but I lost inches on my measurement totals. I would also suggest eating more in general, as well as, eating you exercise calories back. At least try it out for a couple week or so to see if they have an effect.

Good luck!
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Please don't be so discouraged that you give up. Believe me, there are been many times over the last several weeks that I HAVE cried due to frustration. Down 3.5 pounds, up 3, down 4 pounds, up 5, even one week I lost 6 pounds and gained back 8. Yet I'm still getting slowly lower and lower. And it's funny that I'm writing this, because there have been SO many times I just wanted to quit out of frustration, thinking I can never do this. I just try to keep doing the best I can and stick with it. I hope you do have great success on your road!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You're undereating, you're going screw up your metabolism if you havn't already.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

5' 7"
    190 today

I'm not saying this is the reason you gained... If you have a caloric deficit, you should lose weight but here is food for thought.

BMR - 1626 calories

TDEE with 1-3 hrs of exercise per week (what you can eat and maintain your current weight) - 2235

TDEE -20% (what you can eat to drop 1-2lbs per week) - 1788
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options
    I wish I had done my measurements before.

So I'm hearing a lot of you say I'm not eating enough. I understand the logic behind that - boosting metabolism, fueling workouts... I am also pretty satisfied by what I'm eating, and don't feel deficient or weak.

I eat a LOT of apples. Small ones, but a LOT - sometimes 5 a day. They're quick, convenient, healthy, sweet and crisp. Perfection, in my eyes. One of the trainers at the gym at my work said that I was screwing up my blood sugar with the apples. Anyone have thoughts on this???
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options

I'm not saying this is the reason you gained... If you have a caloric deficit, you should lose weight but here is food for thought.

BMR - 1626 calories

TDEE with 1-3 hrs of exercise per week (what you can eat and maintain your current weight) - 2235

TDEE = ?? Sorry, the acronym is not clicking at the moment.

I'm at or under consuming 1200 per day, and I'm working out 5-ish hours per week.

Everyone's saying I'm not eating enough, right?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I wish I had done my measurements before.

So I'm hearing a lot of you say I'm not eating enough. I understand the logic behind that - boosting metabolism, fueling workouts... I am also pretty satisfied by what I'm eating, and don't feel deficient or weak.

I eat a LOT of apples. Small ones, but a LOT - sometimes 5 a day. They're quick, convenient, healthy, sweet and crisp. Perfection, in my eyes. One of the trainers at the gym at my work said that I was screwing up my blood sugar with the apples. Anyone have thoughts on this???

stop

too much sugar can impede weight loss.

And TDEE = total daily energy expenditure- it's the amount of calories you need to fuel your body for functioning in your daily life and maintain your current weight.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    weight loss occurs between these two numbers
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Basal Metabolic rate (BMR) is the amount of a calories your body requires to maintain laying in a coma in bed- simply to keep your ograns functioning.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

BMR - 1626 calories

TDEE = ?? Sorry, the acronym is not clicking at the moment.

I'm at or under consuming 1200 per day, and I'm working out 5-ish hours per week.

Everyone's saying I'm not eating enough, right?
    total daily energy expenditure

Basically, the amount of calories you need to maintain health.