So much hard work, and all I got was a 2 pound weight gain

Options

Replies

• tmj_adams15
    tmj_adams15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Your body may be in starvation mode....please read this article.

http://trainingaspects.com/starvation-mode-deciphered
  • Vicks1978
    Vicks1978 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i was in a plateau for 2 +months doing the 1200 cals thing, not eating back my exercise cals and really going for it.
    i started eating more like everyone says on here....didn't believe them... but now I have so much more energy

ive also started meal planning more and changing what I eat regularly so as to confuse my body a bit
    ive now come out of the plateau and things are moving again.

just seriously eat more and you will notice a difference.

good luck
  • Marsidote
    Marsidote Posts: 100 Member
    Options

TDEE = ?? Sorry, the acronym is not clicking at the moment.

I'm at or under consuming 1200 per day, and I'm working out 5-ish hours per week.

Everyone's saying I'm not eating enough, right?

Its way confusing to me too! Ive been at this for 3 weeks and haven't dropped a single pound. My jeans to fit better, so that's good! keep with it. Hopefully we can figure this thing out!
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

I'm not saying this is the reason you gained... If you have a caloric deficit, you should lose weight but here is food for thought.

BMR - 1626 calories

TDEE with 1-3 hrs of exercise per week (what you can eat and maintain your current weight) - 2235

TDEE -20% (what you can eat to drop 1-2lbs per week) - 1788

TDEE = ?? Sorry, the acronym is not clicking at the moment.

I'm at or under consuming 1200 per day, and I'm working out 5-ish hours per week.

Everyone's saying I'm not eating enough, right?

Basically, eating the TDEE -20%, so eating approximately 1788 cals/day (and still not eating back your exercise cals, since it's already taken into consideration in the calculation) will not only fuel your workouts, but make sure you are eating enough to keep yourself healthy AND have a deficit to lose weight.

Actually, I use the TDEE method, and my net goal each day is 1700, and check out my ticker below - eating more to lose weight worked for me!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

So I'm hearing a lot of you say I'm not eating enough. I understand the logic behind that - boosting metabolism, fueling workouts... I am also pretty satisfied by what I'm eating, and don't feel deficient or weak.

I can not eat for a day and feel fine. That doesn't mean I don't need to eat. It's science. Your body needs a certain amount of "fuel" that you are not giving it.

And FWIW, I started out doing similar to what you are doing. I couldn't fathom eating more to lose more. My thoughts were that I would eat less to get my number down quicker (and it worked mind you) and I would add calories as I got to certain milestones. My weight has never stopped coming off. I have never plateaued. That is just to let you know that I see where you are coming from on this. Now I am almost to goal weight and eating plenty of calories, and still dropping .5 per week if not more.

So seriously, up your calories. Get some protein powder and mix it with almond milk or something and drink a couple a day. There is an extra 150-200 calories per drink right there that shouldn't be to hard to get down if you're not hungry.
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's the excessive apples. Sure, they're healthy, but packed with natural sugar-your trainer is right. Lay off the fruit basket. Plus, it could very well BE muscle. I always gain 2-5lbs when i start a diet, but my clothing fits better.
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options
    Thank you for all of this advice!

I'm totally willing to give it an honest go. I've lost and maintained a huge amount of weight over the last 10 years (I'm still down over 75% of my original loss) but this recent gain has been very hard. I quit smoking, I'm 36 now... Things just aren't working the way they used to!

I hope I haven't ruined my metabolism again.

And even though I packed 4 - I only ate one apple today. Ideas for alternative snacks to my typical apples?
  • Hornsby
    Options
    I thought you couldn't build muscle on a deficit? Especially one as large as the OPs?
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options
    I thought you couldn't build muscle on a deficit? Especially one as large as the OPs?

But surely I'm building SOME muscle with all the working out I'm doing, right?
  • rezn8
    rezn8 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1200 or less and working out I would say you are not eating enough and your metabolism is slowing down. Contrary to popular belief among dieters, you need to eat enough and exercise in order to boost your metabolism. You are just burning muscle and storing fat.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Doubtful.

By your own admission, most of your exercise is cardio based which won't build muscle.

You can have some noob gains, but not much, surely not enough to stall the scale or make it go up especially being in such an extreme caloric deficit. Also with being a female putting on appreciable amount of muscle is even more difficult passed your noob gains.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    Thank you for all of this advice!

I'm totally willing to give it an honest go. I've lost and maintained a huge amount of weight over the last 10 years (I'm still down over 75% of my original loss) but this recent gain has been very hard. I quit smoking, I'm 36 now... Things just aren't working the way they used to!

I hope I haven't ruined my metabolism again.

And even though I packed 4 - I only ate one apple today. Ideas for alternative snacks to my typical apples?

pineapple, its a super food apparently. i like to buy tins then i dont feel under pressure to eat it before it goes off and its a go to snack
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options

tumblr_m1lx8kXwMF1qenh1yo1_500.gif
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options

Doubtful.

By your own admission, most of your exercise is cardio based which won't build muscle.

You can have some noob gains, but not much, surely not enough to stall the scale or make it go up especially being in such an extreme caloric deficit. Also with being a female putting on appreciable amount of muscle is even more difficult passed your noob gains.

Bootcamp and what I do on the Total Gym sure feel like strength training to me, but done at a cardio pace.

I did the TDEE calculator thing - I think I'm in a big, big deficit.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Agree w this dude:
    open your diary

if you do not already, get a food scale and WEIGH every bite that passes your lips....eyeballing/measuring cups/just going by what the package says is a portion is not accurate

take progress photos

take measurements

you are not eating enough to fuel your workouts

figure out your TDEE and eat 20% below that

this is not a race
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Doubtful.

Bootcamp and what I do on the Total Gym sure feel like strength training to me, but done at a cardio pace.

Sarcastic-Hahaha-No-Reaction-Gif.gif
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    DITTO. You are eating too little. Drink lots of water, Do more cardio and weight lifting. Over time you will see FAT BURN. which is more impt. than weight loss.
  • chosenusernametaken
    Options

Doubtful.

Sarcastic-Hahaha-No-Reaction-Gif.gif

Awesome.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    If you have sore muscles, you are probably retaining some water. That could account for the gain and will be only temporary.

And you should definitely eat more.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    You can maintain the muscle your currently have when on a deficit I think, but you can't build muscle when you are on a deficit. So yes, you are strength training and you are probably getting stronger, but you are basically just maintaining what you already had.

I think that is the case anyway but could be wrong. Someone else will clarify I'm sure.

And ignore the posters who try to be funny. I am actually surprised that it took so long for them to join in. You have been pretty understanding and asking a lot of questions so the useless comments aren't necessary.