Why are nurses obese?

Options
clarkeje1
clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
Just a random question for chit chat, something I have been curious about. Don't take offense or get upset, its just a general question. If you do take offense or get upset, oh well lol. So my question is...

Why are a significant amount of nurses overweight or obese? You would think that someone working in the healthcare field would be more knowledgeable about their own health and have more insight into taking care of themselves. I work at a hospital and see a lot of obese nurses. Also there have been studies done that show that a significant amount of nurses are overweight/obese. Here is just an example of something I found on Google, didn't try super hard to research it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/study-finds-55-percent-nurses-overweight-obese/story?id=15472375

Again, not a dig on anyone, just curious. Opinions/comments?

Replies

• jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I think its because of long hours, different shifts, night, backshift, my ex's mother was a nurse and literally scarfed her food , even at home, just because they rarely get time to eat. also they are so busy taking care of other people, that is their job and passion, and probably neglect to take care of themselves...god love nurses!!!! However my ex's mother was slim , and his sister is a nurse and shes slim....dunno ??
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Sucks that nurses have to work long hours, they should just be able to have a regular schedule like everyone else
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Because they consume more calories than their bodies need.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I think its because of long hours, different shifts, night, backshift, my ex's mother was a nurse and literally scarfed her food , even at home, just because they rarely get time to eat. also they are so busy taking care of other people, that is their job and passion, and probably neglect to take care of themselves...god love nurses!!!! However my ex's mother was slim , and his sister is a nurse and shes slim....dunno ??

Same reason fat people are fat. You would think nurses would be in tip top shape but no. Of course, not all nurses are overweight.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Sucks that nurses have to work long hours, they should just be able to have a regular schedule like everyone else

That's nice... in theory. Too bad patients need 24 hour care.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Most nurses only work 3-4 days a week on 12-hour rounds so to be quite honest long hour shifts mean nothing.
  • anappleaday34
    Options

+1
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Because it is a mentally and physically exhausting job! I started night shift at past year and packed on 25 lbs! I'm an emotional eater, so I'd have a rough shift, get off at 6 am, stop by Burger King for breakfast croissants, get home, sleep, wake up, go to work, stop by the gas station, pick up junk, eat all, work, repeat. It sucked!!!! I don't think non-nurses realize how stressful this job can be!! There needs to be a balance between dealing with the job without relying on food for comfort. And getting over the mental exhaustion to fit in regular exercise.
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Why does it suck? You're acting like they were forced into their profession.

Pretty sure nurses are all aware of their work hours long before they go to nursing school.

Same as truck drivers, lawyers, physicians, teachers, etc.

Why would you feel bad for someone who is employed and actually in a job related to their area of study?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    The same reason why they are all smokers and trashy!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1101475-why-do-so-many-nurses-smoke
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    what profession are you in Mayaocean? You seem angry and I'd like to avoid your restaurant if you are in fact on the waitstaff there. :laugh:
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think that's a pretty general statement to make with no real basis... :huh:

So just because the nurses you see are fat all nurses everywhere must be fat as well? :laugh: Actually I think it's pretty funny to make such a blanket statement.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

So true
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    IMO I think a lot of people who are "givers" and tend to put others needs in front of their own let themselves go a bit in the looks department- because instead of doing things for themselves they are doing for everyone else and they put themselves at the bottom of the list... nurses may fall into that category.
  • tayn505
    Options
    Does not say if they are RN's or not
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good to know I am obese.

Why are doctors? Or mailmen? Or attorneys? :huh:
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Why does anyone do things they know they probably shouldn't? - Moot point really...
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    what profession are you in Mayaocean? You seem angry and I'd like to avoid your restaurant if you are in fact on the waitstaff there. :laugh:
    [/quote

She's not angry, she's being factual
  • peachcats
    Options
    They aren't taught nutrition.
    My mother was a nurse and couldn't tell you the first thing about nutrition.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I think that's a pretty general statement to make with no real basis... :huh:

So just because the nurses you see are fat all nurses everywhere must be fat as well? :laugh: Actually I think it's pretty funny to make such a blanket statement.

Jeff get the frick out of here! All nurses are super fat! I was in Somalia after being shot by some pirates, so I caught a taxi to the hospital (the driver was a pirate too). When I got there I was very surprised by all the fat nurses cause EVERYONE in Somalia was rail skinny except those fat nurses... it was like being in a twilight zone.
This discussion has been closed.