Why are nurses obese?

Options

Replies

• pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse, and I have noticed the number of obese nurses also, which is funny considering their focus is on health! I also had become obese over the years- did not start out that way. I have worked a mixture of evening and night shifts over the years(32 years to be exact). I don't work all 12 hours shifts, but often do. Often get called in to do extra shifts due to short staffing, in addition to trying to take care of my own family and kids. Because the money isn't bad, it is easy to get food out or go out to eat- which I often do because of exhaustion. Not looking for sympathy, because I chose it. Just trying to show the mindset. I think the job is even more emotionally and mentally exhausting than physically. All excuses to not make the effort to take care of myself!
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    who cares..? there's overweight/obese people in every profession

You make sense. I like you.
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, and while I'm not obsese I'm bigger than I want to be. On my ward we often (and I mean, almost every shift) are too busy for a proper dinner break, so its a case of someone makes a giant plate of toast that we can have at the nurses desk while we're doing our paper work. I work a lot of night shifts find it really hard figure out what I'm meant to eat and at what time. Also Patients show their gratification for looking after them with chocolate too - there's always chocolate hanging around the desk, and while I know we arent force fed it, when you feel your blood sugar plummeting (because its 10 hours in to your 13 hour shift and you've still not eaten), its too easy to eat. You're right though, fat nurses are not exactly a good role model for patients....( and neither are nurses who stink of cigarrettes after their "*kitten* break" but thats a whole other topic).
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    God considering we have a nursing shortage, its one of the most difficult jobs, and has a high burn out you'd think these stupid people would put their grant money to better use then "trying to understand" why nurses are so "fat." Walk 12 hours in their shoes is all I can say covered in blood and excrement.

So True ! The money that is wasted in such useless studies boggles the mind . And yes walk a mile in someone elses shoes before the judging starts.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    better question: why does everyone care about obese belly dancers and nurses? I'm a little upset I took time out of my day to read this. I'm gonna go back to the dying dog thread.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Sucks that nurses have to work long hours, they should just be able to have a regular schedule like everyone else

That's nice... in theory. Too bad patients need 24 hour care.

so what you are saying that nurses should work 24 hours a day?
  • AshleyM71
    AshleyM71 Posts: 3,029 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse. Was obese. Not now. So there. Lol. ????
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    I don't see how you can work in the medical field, and be obese/overweight. That has always bugged me. How are you going to tell others they need to eat less junk, when you're eating horrible things yourself? And none of that ''I work long hours'' crap. There's something called calorie control.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you can work in the medical field, and be obese/overweight. That has anyways bugged me. How are you going to tell others they need to eat less junk, when you're eating horrible things yourself? And none of that ''I work long hours'' crap.

thats just it...most dont respect their opinions for the reason you just said.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Just a random question for chit chat, something I have been curious about. Don't take offense or get upset, its just a general question. If you do take offense or get upset, oh well lol. So my question is...

Why are a significant amount of nurses overweight or obese? You would think that someone working in the healthcare field would be more knowledgeable about their own health and have more insight into taking care of themselves. I work at a hospital and see a lot of obese nurses. Also there have been studies done that show that a significant amount of nurses are overweight/obese. Here is just an example of something I found on Google, didn't try super hard to research it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/study-finds-55-percent-nurses-overweight-obese/story?id=15472375

Again, not a dig on anyone, just curious. Opinions/comments?

I have noticed this as well, although I did not realize there was research to the effect as well...

Research based on a survey. It would be like me asking Teenagers what they see is wrong with their body and based on their responses post a "research" concluding that 95% of teenagers suffer from body image issues.
    Ah...I didn't actually look at the research; frankly, I don't care enough. But I do find it interesting that have I seen/heard more than one or two ppl comment on this same idea (and not just on this thread), so if it IS a misconception, it's a popular one.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options

I love reading people's opinions on nurses. Remember, we choose what size needles to stick you with and what size catheters to insert.

Ha!! True!
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have been an RN for 13years. And yes I knew the hours before taking the job. But did you know that I am legally and physically responsible for your care. Try working a 13 hour shift responsible for 8 post-op patient with additional medical problems. Try pulling on a 500 pound patient to help them reposition. Try getting 15mins to eat standing up. Try having 5 patients call you at the same time all wanting diffrent things. Yes I love my job, but it sucks most days. So if I am overweight so what profession has nothing to do with what makes us over eat.

I use to work work as an aide to people with disabilities and mental health issues. I would have to work 3pm-11pm making a house run and chasing people who bigger, taller, older than me who had the mental equivalent of a 3yrold. Then inevitably someone would quit, call in sick etc and I would be stuck working 11pm-9:30 am. And you can't sleep because 1) It's a job and and 2) if you did doze off someone would do something rad like water the kitchen floor with a garden hose ( true story this happened on one girl's graveyard shift so she...you guessed it...quit! ).

At that point, you just don't have the energy to care because you are too busy trying to stay awake to just drive home.

I think all care professions are just much crazier and emotionally taxing than people imagine.
  • Kittylu
    Kittylu Posts: 19
    Options
    If 55% of nurses are obese, I hate to see the percentage for cubicle office dwellers! I have heard that being tired makes us feel hungry, maybe that is why. 12 hour shifts dealing with patients, patient's families and doctors might make someone a bit tired.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Really, this question again? Well it's probably because there are over 2 million nurses in the US. Most Americans are overweight or obese. Therefore some nurses will fall into this statistic.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you can work in the medical field, and be obese/overweight. That has always bugged me. How are you going to tell others they need to eat less junk, when you're eating horrible things yourself? And none of that ''I work long hours'' crap. There's something called calorie control.

Because you don't go to a healthcare professional to be judged. You go to get honesty about what's good for you and your body. If my chubby nurse doesn't tell me to lose weight because she feels like a hypocrite, she's letting my appointment become about her issues and not mine, and she's not doing her job.

The reason why there are obese nurses is because knowledge =/= ability. The formula to lose weight is pretty simple, it doesn't take medical training. Actually doing it is the tough part, whether you're a nurse, truck driver, SAHM/D, or fast food employee. Some are better at it than others.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Because they eat only vending machine food. Pure processed!
  • geminiRN00
    Options
    I am a nurse, and while not even near obese I do watch my weight very closely and am pretty fit. The reason many nurses are fat is for many reasons, just like any other profession. What I see at my job surprises me. Many people I work with eat like CRAP! Picking up fast food every night and eating tons of junk through out the night. On top of that many of these people get little to no exercise. Just your typical stuff. Now add that on top of people who work crazy hours (12 hour nights in my case) and have a significant amount of stress, you have a recipe for weight gain.
    I feel like as nurses we SHOULD be advocates for leading a healthy life, but still many nurses are fat, smoke, don't exercise etc. So nurses are just like so much of the American population in that they eat bad and don't get enough exercise.
    I get a lot of slack at work for not participating in the calorie fests on a nightly basis, but I am fit and healthy! :wink:
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options

Because you don't go to a healthcare professional to be judged. You go to get honesty about what's good for you and your body. If my chubby nurse doesn't tell me to lose weight because she feels like a hypocrite, she's letting my appointment become about her issues and not mine, and she's not doing her job.

The reason why there are obese nurses is because knowledge =/= ability. The formula to lose weight is pretty simple, it doesn't take medical training. Actually doing it is the tough part, whether you're a nurse, truck driver, SAHM/D, or fast food employee. Some are better at it than others.

More excuses. I never said they couldn't give their honest opinion, but they should live by what they teach. If you're going to spend money on school, and energy on your job, you should live by them. I get that people don't have the time to cook a healthy dinner, but that doesn't mean you should pig out on big macs and giant fries, everyday. You can get a grilled chicken salad from the same place, without dressing.

I also don't get how they work long tired hours, yet claim they don't have much time to eat, yet are still able to pack down more than 2000 calories a day. Why don't they pack away fruit if they need a quick snack? Why do they need a snickers bar? It doesn't add up.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

More excuses. I never said they couldn't give their honest opinion, but they should live by what they teach. If you're going to spend money on school, and energy on your job, you should live by them. I get that people don't have the time to cook a healthy dinner, but that doesn't mean you should pig out on big macs and giant fries, everyday. You can get a grilled chicken salad from the same place, without dressing.

I also don't get how they work long tired hours, yet claim they don't have much time to eat, yet are still able to pack down more than 2000 calories a day. Why don't they pack away fruit if they need a quick snack? Why do they need a snickers bar? It doesn't add up.

What excuses? That knowledge doesn't translate to living it?

We're all supposed to maintain a healthy weight. That's something we "should" all do. Nurses aren't at an increased moral obligation. I'm not willing to pay my nurses a salary to cover 24/7, so their lifestyles really shouldn't be our concern. I don't need my nurse to look perfect. I need her to be good at inserting an IV, have a nice bedside manner, and to be alert to what is going on with my body while she's taking care of me. As long as his/her weight doesn't get in the way of that, it's not my business, any more than any other professional's.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

So long as it doesn't impact on their ability to perform the job does it really matter?

I work with people with alcohol/ substance misuse issues. I don't have to be teetotal to do my job.
This discussion has been closed.