18 pounds in 30 days?

Options
Enfermita94
Enfermita94 Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Is it possible to lose 18 pounds in one month for a person who weighs 210lbs and eats junk all the time??

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Possibly, but not advisable. Quick weight loss is a recipe for even quicker regain.
  • sefrajones
    Options
    I think anything is possible..you'd have to drastically cut your caloric intake though.. Are you trying to fit into a bathing suit?
  • christensen9518
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I never like disagreeing with people on forums, because I don't think their is reason to fight; so OF COURSE! I think it is perfectly healthy if you go about it in a reasonable way. I personally believe this is possible to do in a healthy way. Y'all can't disagree with my testimony. DO IT.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    18 pounds in 30 days is a around 4.5 pounds in four weeks or 3.5 pounds in five weeks, depending on how many weeks are in that month.

Losing that much weight that fast under either of those circumstances is NOT healthy, in my opinion.
  • hawtdiggitydawg
    Options
    This is the best body weight simulator I have found which might help answer your questions about what is possible and what isn't. Please note that it doesn't provide medical advice, it's not a diet website, it's a research website and the app was developed by researchers "to better understand how diet and exercise quantitatively contribute to weight loss and weight loss maintenance"....

http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/

I'd advise you to check out the intro video so you know what all the fields are that they require you to enter.

Good luck
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb...if you didn't gain it in 30 days, don't expect to loose it that quick.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    18 lbs of fat? Probably not.

But if you are effectively eating lots of carbs and sodium, I wouldn't be surprised if you lost 8 lbs of water by going on a low carb / high protein diet.

Losing the remaining 10 lbs of fat/lbm in 30 days is still a stretch though. You'd need a calorie deficit of about 1000 a day.

Good luck.
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's possible to lose 18 pounds in 30 days, but it's also inadvisable since that behavior is incredibly dangerous.
  • Enfermita94
    Options
    OH im 5'4 and weigh 210 lbs
  • Enfermita94
    Options
    5'4
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't see how it can be done in a healthy way without drastically cutting your food. Plus if you returned to your regular eating habits, you MAY gain it all back
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    Lol you don't have to ''drastically'' cut your calories to lose that much weight. I don't know your bmr but you could eat like 1600 calories a day, and work out.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    why?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    this site offers 1-2 lbs a week as a rate. another website I know of offers 2lbs a week. for 4 weeks that 12 lbs.

Is 12 lbs in 28 days close enough?

Also... why the deadline.

Also...why that precise number.

Also...if you start working out now and use a combo of strenght training, cardio, and cal counting you can have great results in 30 days. I've seen others do it and my pants were nice and loose in that amount of time and my belly flattened soon after.

Just get started on something and I think you will be pleased with the progress you make. In 30 days you can be so many other things more important than 18 lbs lighter. You can be smilier, prouder, pooping better, more hydrated, more energetic, stronger, fitter, faster, funner to be around but most importantly on a very awesome roll to reaching all your fitness goals. :flowerforyou:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Lol you don't have to ''drastically'' cut your calories to lose that much weight. I don't know your bmr but you could eat like 1600 calories a day, and work out.

Chances are a person would not lose weight that quickly even eating 1,600 calories and working out. That kind of weight loss generally comes from eating way less calories than that.
  • lynnkieu
    lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I lost 13 lbs in my first month and have continued to lose since then. My first week I dropped 6 lbs because I cut out the junk- sweets and fast food. I also started exercising. It may have been water weight or even just a good cleansing of the bowels. If you are strict with what you put into your body and exercise a lot, then yes, I believe it would be possible. No harm in taking it slow though as others are suggesting. I've now lost 40 lbs in 5 months and average about 1-2 lb loss per week.

I am also 5'4 and my starting weight was 204.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I don't eat junk all the time, and I weigh a lot more than you, but I'm at a little over 17 lbs lost right now and I have a few more days left to my first month.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Is something special happening in 30 days or is the time period as arbitrary as the amount of weight you're trying to lose?
  • Submariner5
    Options
    Your question of is it possible "for someone who eats junk all the time" answers itself. Not if you keep eating junk all the time. I think that if you take out that clause and make the question "Is it possible for someone who weighs 210 lbs to lose 18 lbs in 30 days?" then the answer is "absolutely!"

Keep the calories down (but above 1200) while still eating your full day's worth of protein, and exercise your way right to your goal. About two hours of vigorous cardio per day should just about do it.
This discussion has been closed.