Low(er) calorie pizza recipes (UK)

Options
Jenninscotland
Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
Hi there,

My husband and I LOVE pizza on a Friday night. So, last night I decided I would make one homemade. After buying loads of fresh veggies and finding a homemade sauce online, I was all ready to go. I also had planned to make a homemade dough...but ran out of time! Soooo, what did I do? I went to the local and bought this pastry thing that you roll out and top with pizza toppings. Imagine my HORROR when I found that it had 610 calories per half sheet (which by looking at it is what my husband and I would have eaten). Well, I did not eat any of it and since hubby has way more calories than I do, he was able to eat some of it and save the rest for another day.

I would love to read some of your ideas of how one can make a low(er) calorie pizza - especially for the crust! I know I can use reduced calorie mozzarella and my homemade sauce and veggies - but the crust seems to be the high calorie part!

Thanks in advance for any ideas :)

Replies

• Fkika3131
    Fkika3131 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Low Calorie Pizza
  • Fkika3131
    Options
    Low Calorie Pizza

1 Pita wrap
    1 tbsp pizza sauce
    2 slices of black forest ham
    1 small tomato
    2 mushrooms
    .25 cup of pineapple
    .25 cup of shredded cheese

Makes one individual pizza

Preheat oven to Broil
    Assemble pizza
    Bake for 3 mins

Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 399.2
    Total Fat: 14.2 g
    Cholesterol: 56.6 mg
    Sodium: 1,542.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 44.5 g
    Dietary Fiber: 3.2 g
    Protein: 24.8 g
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,717 Member
    Options
    I used to make pizza using frozen bread dough. Just pick a dough recipe without a lot of added oil. Roll it out as thin as you can.
  • Fkika3131
    Options
    Easy Low Calorie Pizza

1 Whole wheat flour tortilla
    1TBSP of pizza sauce
    1/2 cup of chopped green peppers
    1/4 cup of chopped onions
    1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions

Simple warm up a frying pan that is big enough to fit the whole wheat tortilla in it, flat. Warm it and then reduce heat to low, do not use oil in the pan. Spread pizza sauce on tortilla, sprinkle with various vegetables as you please and then top off with cheese. Cook pizza on low heat until cheese is melted. Remove from pan with spatula, cut, and serve.

Servings Per Recipe: 1
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 218.1
    Total Fat: 3.5 g
    Cholesterol: 5.0 mg
    Sodium: 745.9 mg
    Total Carbs: 35.3 g
    Dietary Fiber: 5.8 g
    Protein: 14.3 g
  • mrsg2013
    mrsg2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Those look yummy :) I did not think of using pita bread or tortillas....great ideas!

I'll have to have a look for dough balls...not sure I've seen those but might be looking in the wrong place.

Thanks so much.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

My husband and I LOVE pizza on a Friday night. So, last night I decided I would make one homemade. After buying loads of fresh veggies and finding a homemade sauce online, I was all ready to go. I also had planned to make a homemade dough...but ran out of time! Soooo, what did I do? I went to the local and bought this pastry thing that you roll out and top with pizza toppings. Imagine my HORROR when I found that it had 610 calories per half sheet (which by looking at it is what my husband and I would have eaten). Well, I did not eat any of it and since hubby has way more calories than I do, he was able to eat some of it and save the rest for another day.

I would love to read some of your ideas of how one can make a low(er) calorie pizza - especially for the crust! I know I can use reduced calorie mozzarella and my homemade sauce and veggies - but the crust seems to be the high calorie part!

Reactively I'm thinking a wet pizza dough over a dry one. With a wet dough you should be able to make the pie larger using a small amount of flour. Another option would be to consider and lookup low-calorie focaccia recipes and use that as your pie base. Many opt for a tortilla, a roti or a pita pie base, loading it with their toppings. A vegan option would be to use vegetables as your pie base. Think cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli plus a low-fat cheese (many choose parmesan), bake it up first, then add sauce and toppings later.

Paleo and Gluten-free options may offer lower calories but not by much flour mixes. I don't rightly know if pre-mixed versions are readily available where you are. Off the hip, i'm thinking coconut flour and whole wheat flour; A 75%: 25% split or a 25%: 25%: 25% : 25% split of whole wheat, rice, coconut and chickpea flour, should help you achieve your dough, which should retain enough of a normal pizza-based flavoured texture, to help keep things interesting enough and real; Maintaining the flavour profile integrity.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Hi there,

Reactively I'm thinking a wet pizza dough over a dry one. With a wet dough you should be able to make the pie larger using a small amount of flour. Another option would be to consider and lookup low-calorie focaccia recipes and use that as your pie base. Many opt for a tortilla, a roti or a pita pie base, loading it with their toppings. A vegan option would be to use vegetables as your pie base. Think cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli plus a low-fat cheese (many choose parmesan), bake it up first, then add sauce and toppings later.

Paleo and Gluten-free options may offer lower calories but not by much flour mixes. I don't rightly know if pre-mixed versions are readily available where you are. Off the hip, i'm thinking coconut flour and whole wheat flour; A 75%: 25% split or a 25%: 25%: 25% : 25% split of whole wheat, rice, coconut and chickpea flour, should help you achieve your dough, which should retain enough of a normal pizza-based flavoured texture, to help keep things interesting enough and real; Maintaining the flavour profile integrity.

Thanks so much. I don't think I've ever seen anything but white and whole wheat flour here in Scotland :( I'll google however and see as this seems like a great idea!
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    In the summertime we make pizzas on the grill. We use tortillas, pizza sauce, moz. cheese, and any other toppings that anyone wants.

Everyone makes their own and put on the grill until done (2-3 minutes usually).

they are a huge hit when we have people over as well.

Nice part about it is it is easy to figure out your own calories. They are yummy too.

I have also made these in a toaster oven.
  • Shooter219
    Shooter219 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I make my own Dough in my bread maker, I put it on a rectangular baking sheet, it covers the whole thing and cut into eight slices is only 121 calories per slice for the dough, they are good size pieces too!!

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
    Garlic, 2 Cloves (I.e. 6 G) - Raw, 2 tsp (6g) 8 1 0 0 0 0
    Flour, Bread - Gold Medal, 120 g (1/4 cup) 440 88 0 16 0 0
    Gold Medal - All Natural Whole Wheat Flour, 1 cup 400 84 2 16 0 0
    Hy-top 100% - Olive Oil Extra Virgin, 0.67 tablespoon (15ml) 80 0 9 0 0 0
    Honey - Clover, 0.33 Tablespoon 20 5 0 0 0 5
    Fleischmann's - Bread Machine Yeast, 1.5 tsp (0.8g) 18 0 0 2 0 0
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 966 178 11 34 0 5
    Per Serving: 121 22 1 4 0 1

Hhhmmmm, that translated kind of crappy!! Anyways, it is REALLY good!!! Half the pizza crust is only 484 calories, oh and last time I made it, I added some Italian herbs into the bread maker, it was amazing!!!

Oh, and I scanned the bar code for everything and measured exact, so the numbers are right on! :)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much. I don't think I've ever seen anything but white and whole wheat flour here in Scotland :( I'll google however and see as this seems like a great idea!

Besan Flour is Chickpea flour . Dosa Flour is Rice flour. Wheat ladoo flour is whole wheat flour. Singoda flour is water chestnut flour. Rajagara flour is lentil flour (you could easily use this one for your pizza dough). Corn flour is another one you may consider mixing with regular flour. All these are available at ASDA along your baking aisle and international foods aisle. If not at ASDA then you may look into your closest Indian/Pakistani Grocers.' They should also have the coconut flour in stock and if they don't, simply purchase unsweetened coconut flakes, soak them for about 4 hours in a water to coconut ratio of 4:1, pop it into your food processor, drain as much of the water as you can out of it, layer over a baking sheet, bake in 200 degrees Fahrenheit oven 'til it is dry, pop it into a spice grinder (or a food processor) 'til it is finely pulverised and voila ~ your very own coconut flour. Using more coconut flour or any of the above to all purpose flour ratio, lowers your calorie markers. Oat flour is another option. And if you can't find that, simply throw your rolled oats into a spice grinder, zing it through and voila - your oat flour.

Good luck!

ETA: Cassava Flour to All Purpose Flour to Coconut Flour mix would better@Flavour profile. You might want to knead your dough in corn flour to attain the crispy crust.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    In the summertime we make pizzas on the grill. We use tortillas, pizza sauce, moz. cheese, and any other toppings that anyone wants.

Everyone makes their own and put on the grill until done (2-3 minutes usually).

they are a huge hit when we have people over as well.

Nice part about it is it is easy to figure out your own calories. They are yummy too.

I have also made these in a toaster oven.

Yum, sounds very delicious :) We don't have a grill as we live in a flat but we can try in a pan or under the grill in the oven :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    I make my own Dough in my bread maker, I put it on a rectangular baking sheet, it covers the whole thing and cut into eight slices is only 121 calories per slice for the dough, they are good size pieces too!!

Here is the recipe:

Add Ingredient

Hhhmmmm, that translated kind of crappy!! Anyways, it is REALLY good!!! Half the pizza crust is only 484 calories, oh and last time I made it, I added some Italian herbs into the bread maker, it was amazing!!!

Oh, and I scanned the bar code for everything and measured exact, so the numbers are right on! :)

Oh my goodness...I have thought about buying a bread maker so many times - in the end however, my husband and I have decided that we cannot be trusted with one! Still, maybe with our healthy eating, we could find ways to cook healthier breads? Do you tend to find that your breads are a lot healthier?
  • Jenninscotland
    Options

Besan Flour is Chickpea flour . Dosa Flour is Rice flour. Wheat ladoo flour is whole wheat flour. Singoda flour is water chestnut flour. Rajagara flour is lentil flour (you could easily use this one for your pizza dough). Corn flour is another one you may consider mixing with regular flour. All these are available at ASDA along your baking aisle and international foods aisle. If not at ASDA then you may look into your closest Indian/Pakistani Grocers.' They should also have the coconut flour in stock and if they don't, simply purchase unsweetened coconut flakes, soak them for about 4 hours in a water to coconut ratio of 4:1, pop it into your food processor, drain as much of the water as you can out of it, layer over a baking sheet, bake in 200 degrees Fahrenheit oven 'til it is dry, pop it into a spice grinder (or a food processor) 'til it is finely pulverised and voila ~ your very own coconut flour. Using more coconut flour or any of the above to all purpose flour ratio, lowers your calorie markers. Oat flour is another option. And if you can't find that, simply throw your rolled oats into a spice grinder, zing it through and voila - your oat flour.

Good luck!

ETA: Cassava Flour to All Purpose Flour to Coconut Flour mix would better@Flavour profile. You might want to knead your dough in corn flour to attain the crispy crust.

Thanks so much. I'll probably try the Indian store as that's probably the closest thing around here :) Great post and thank you again :)
  • g_allard
    Options
    My favourite is a tortilla, sauce and then vegetarian style: baby tomatoes cut up & mushrooms - the best part is to top it with one of those spice mixes - Greek seasoning is the best. My family loves these -- never had a complaint!
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    My favourite is a tortilla, sauce and then vegetarian style: baby tomatoes cut up & mushrooms - the best part is to top it with one of those spice mixes - Greek seasoning is the best. My family loves these -- never had a complaint!

Very intrigued - what is greek seasoning? I LOVE Greece. We spent our honeymoon there and have a trip to Crete booked in April :):):)
  • Shooter219
    Shooter219 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Here is the recipe:

Add Ingredient

Oh my goodness...I have thought about buying a bread maker so many times - in the end however, my husband and I have decided that we cannot be trusted with one! Still, maybe with our healthy eating, we could find ways to cook healthier breads? Do you tend to find that your breads are a lot healthier?

Oh absolutely! I don't really eat bread all that often, but I do eat the pizza dough and have plans for a healthy French bread!! I make breads for the family though! To be honest, I just got my machine a couple of weeks ago and am still working out the kinks in my breads, but the pizza dough is spot on!!

You can make this recipe without a bread maker too!! I'm just waaaay to lazy for that! Lol!
  • the_britster
    the_britster Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Jenninscotland
    Options

Here is the recipe:

Add Ingredient

Oh absolutely! I don't really eat bread all that often, but I do eat the pizza dough and have plans for a healthy French bread!! I make breads for the family though! To be honest, I just got my machine a couple of weeks ago and am still working out the kinks in my breads, but the pizza dough is spot on!!

You can make this recipe without a bread maker too!! I'm just waaaay to lazy for that! Lol!

Oh cool - well once you do, please post any interesting recipes on MFP - might just have to buy one!! :):):)
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    These aren't really proper pizza, but I love to use warburton Square wraps, pitta breads or left over french bread as pizza bases. I will make pizza out of anything :).