Low(er) calorie pizza recipes (UK)

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is "spinach-crust pizza" which isn't a true pizza but good none the less. There are lots of recipes on the web. The first two pics are of one with lots of ricotta, red pepper, bacon and summer squash on it. The third one has mozzarella, mushrooms, salami and a butternut-squash-red-pepper sauce.

100_4264_zpse1670e8c.jpg
    100_4266_zpsa4af32f0.jpg
    fffadf86-1c91-4613-9df4-048a6668e86c_zps226842e7.jpg

Basically, whir spinach, eggs, grated cheese, and salt & pepper in the food processor and pour it out onto a parchment-lined pizza pan. Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes. While it's baking prepare the toppings, e.g. saute mushrooms, etc. Top with whatever you wish and shove it under the broiler until it is brown and bubbly. Voila: pizza-like substance. We've had it several times with all sorts of stuff on top and using anything from parmesan to cheddar in the "crust," which is really more like a thin layer of baked spinach mousse.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    You might also consider Kamut Flour which is really more palatable than the normative flour varieties and is loaded with nutritional benefits ~ protein being one. Should be readily available in the UK.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the cauliflower pizza crust? It sounds like one of those "healthy but it will do" kind of substitutes....until you try it. Seriously, this is awesome. There are lots of recipes out there, google it and see which one suits you. My favourite is simply cauliflower, nutritional yeast, chick pea flower. It has heaps lower calories, increases your vegetable intake by a few serves and actually tastes delicious.
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is "spinach-crust pizza" which isn't a true pizza but good none the less. There are lots of recipes on the web. The first two pics are of one with lots of ricotta, red pepper, bacon and summer squash on it. The third one has mozzarella, mushrooms, salami and a butternut-squash-red-pepper sauce.

100_4264_zpse1670e8c.jpg
    100_4266_zpsa4af32f0.jpg
    fffadf86-1c91-4613-9df4-048a6668e86c_zps226842e7.jpg

Basically, whir spinach, eggs, grated cheese, and salt & pepper in the food processor and pour it out onto a parchment-lined pizza pan. Bake at 400F for about 15 minutes. While it's baking prepare the toppings, e.g. saute mushrooms, etc. Top with whatever you wish and shove it under the broiler until it is brown and bubbly. Voila: pizza-like substance. We've had it several times with all sorts of stuff on top and using anything from parmesan to cheddar in the "crust," which is really more like a thin layer of baked spinach mousse.

That sounds amazing - thank you! I will give this a try :)
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    You might also consider Kamut Flour which is really more palatable than the normative flour varieties and is loaded with nutritional benefits ~ protein being one. Should be readily available in the UK.

Thanks so much - will have a look around for it.
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    These aren't really proper pizza, but I love to use warburton Square wraps, pitta breads or left over french bread as pizza bases. I will make pizza out of anything :).

French bread is a great idea - we have a two bakeries downstairs within a few feet of our flat! I try to stay away, but if I could buy a single serving and top that with low fat mozz, it might just be great!
  • Jenninscotland
    Options
    Have you tried the cauliflower pizza crust? It sounds like one of those "healthy but it will do" kind of substitutes....until you try it. Seriously, this is awesome. There are lots of recipes out there, google it and see which one suits you. My favourite is simply cauliflower, nutritional yeast, chick pea flower. It has heaps lower calories, increases your vegetable intake by a few serves and actually tastes delicious.

Wow, had not heard of this (or the spinach idea either) - I knew that cauliflower was used to bulk up a lot of recipes to lower calories, but had not heard of it as a pizza base - will Google thanks :)
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Love the spinach and cauliflower bases, and especially the tortilla ideas (I always have heaps of tortillas in the house). Thanks, everyone, for the super ideas!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Tagging these for later use. Thanks everybody !
  • mhamirani
    mhamirani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've used the Stone Fire - Authentic Tandoori Naan Flatbread, 0.5 naan tandoori; 1/2 serving of the flat bread is 190 cals., but you watch out for the sodium...it's a little high for that brand. love, love, love it tho. I sometimes switch out between pizza sauces to white pizza and also Tika Masala (curry blend) for the pizza base YUM!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I too love naan or tortilla. I put the tortilla in the microwave, punch holes in it, microwave 45 seconds, flip another 45 seconds. Take out put on sauce toppings and cheese and microwave till hot, usually about 1 minute. Crunchy and quick.. Enjoy
  • watto1903
    watto1903 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Friday nights are pizza night in our house, and have been for about 5 years. i only ever make homemade dough so i think you can trust that i speak form experience here.

me and wife are on 1200 cals so need a dough that aint gonna break the bank. We also have 2 kids to feed. It is simple;

Normal plain flour (bread flour is best but dont sweat it) 500g
    Tap water 325ml
    1 sachet of yeast (or a teaspoon if out a tub)
    tbsp of salt (keep away from yeast when putting in)

Mix till its soft and pliable (a good 5-10 mins)

I have tried every permutation going to man over the years, adding oil, yoghurt, cauliflower, spinach, more water, less water. trust me when i see it, this is lovely, tasty, foolproof and about as good as it gets calorie wise. About 450-500 per pizza depending on flour.

leave to prove for a few hours till doubled in size

divide into 4 pieces, roll out thinly and put on tray

Dont fanny about with sauces, you want it quick and simple, a mug full of pasatta mixed with tbsp of tomato puree to thicken, spread a couple of tbsps on each pizza then add your toppings. If you go all veggie as we normally do you are looking at 600 cals for a large 12 inch pizza.

Do you need cheese on it? - i never bother on mine, i have even stopped having mozzarella.

Enjoy ☺
  • kwiatrtdy
    kwiatrtdy Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I love pizza- don't know how I would cope in life without it XD. The quick cheat I use is to buy the cheapest supermarket own brand pizza I can find. Something like Asda Smartprice or Tesco Value cheese and tomato pizzas. There is never very much cheese on them so full size pizza is normally between 600 and 700 calories. Then I just chuck on my own toppings, I'm vegetarian so it's normally just pineapple and sweetcorn or if I'm feeling indulgent some Quorn pepperoni. It's probably not the healthiest option but sometimes after a long shift needs must! XD
  • andresconejo
    Options
    This is the best and most healthy pizza crust recipe i've found, it's super LOW FAT and amazingly crispy, really you'll enjoy it and it's only around 300 calories for a 12 inch pizza.
    http://www.jennycancook.com/recipes/pepperoni-pizza/

Or you can always use a large tortilla and top it with whatever you want, it's works pretty amazing too.
  • watto1903
    watto1903 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is the best and most healthy pizza crust recipe i've found, it's super LOW FAT and amazingly crispy, really you'll enjoy it and it's only around 300 calories for a 12 inch pizza.

Or you can always use a large tortilla and top it with whatever you want, it's works pretty amazing too.

how can this be 300 calories? 187gram flour, there is over 300 calories in just 100 gram, also a tbsp of olive oil is around 100 calories.

This is before you get started on the toppings!!!

I am calling this about a 7-800 calorie monster!
  • andresconejo
    Options

how can this be 300 calories? 187gram flour, there is over 300 calories in just 100 gram, also a tbsp of olive oil is around 100 calories.

This is before you get started on the toppings!!!

I am calling this about a 7-800 calorie monster!

I forgot to clarify something, from that recipe i actrually can make 2 12" pizzas! So each crust is like 327 calories and i susbstitue 1 tbsp of olive oil for only 1 tsp, i even tried it without any oil and it turned perfect! :)
    And with toppings it goes from 550 - 800 cals which is awesome for a 12" inch pizza full of cheese
  • jenmarqueiro
    jenmarqueiro Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi I make pizza using -

1x Warburtons Square-ish Wrap
    Double concentrated tomato puree for pizza sauce
    sweetcorn
    tin of tuna
    peppers
    mushrooms
    spring onion
    red onion

My partner is a vegetarian so sometimes put Quorn meatballs on top or Quorn ham e.t.c.

The Warburtons Wrap alone has -
    Kcal - 159
    Fat - 2.9g
    Carbs - I think around 20-25g will have to check out the nutritional info . . .

I use Laughing cow extra light cheese triangles on the side of my pizza and cut and dip into it. Sometimes I use Mozzerlla or Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature Extra Light Cheddar Cheese. Also Leerdammer Light cheese slices. Grill in the oven for about 5 mins
  • antxoable
    antxoable Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I make a thin base that does the trick
    2 cups plain flour
    half cup water
    1tbsp olive oil
    1tsp baking soda
    pinch salt
    mix it by hand ,roll it with the rolling pen as thin as u can and bake for 5 mins till golden,the put toppings, i use tomato pasata,vegs and cheese and voila la! It makes two medium pizzas,everyone who has try it loves them!
  • nlrossbrook
    nlrossbrook Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    if you want a super healthy pizza here is a recipe i use it two servings and only 479 each serving.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10117/superhealthy-pizza

or this site shows 15 pizza recipes all under 400 calories.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20419726,00.html

hope these help
  • kerrywhittaker1991
    Options
    Either cauliflower crust pizza where you make a homemade base from cauliflower but its time consuming.. If your I'm a hurry then warburtons square wraps or wholemeal circle pittas are all only between 120-180 calories and work perfect to be topped with whatever you want x