I'm not sure they're getting the right mesage from this

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Probably the same people who interpret the bible literally

Not quite. The meme is funny. Your response, not so much.

Right, it's not funny to you because you're close minded and don't accept the fact that other people don't believe in any gods.

no, your comment isn't funny because interpreting the bible literally is nothing like someone who doesn't like to exercise finding that meme funny...... your comment actually doesn't make much sense at all and makes you look like you have a chip on your shoulder about people who take the bible literally.

VWr6I.gif

it's okay thanks, I'm not upset. :smile: I was just explaining why your comment isn't funny. Thought you might find the explanation helpful.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Right, it's not funny to you because you're close minded and don't accept the fact that other people don't believe in any gods.

no, your comment isn't funny because interpreting the bible literally is nothing like someone who doesn't like to exercise finding that meme funny...... your comment actually doesn't make much sense at all and makes you look like you have a chip on your shoulder about people who take the bible literally.

I think you misunderstood. The meme is about literal interpretations and how they can lead to misunderstanding the message. In this case, believing that, say, mailmen should LITERALLY be immortal because they walk all day, is as silly as someone believing that Moses LITERALLY parted the Red Sea.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    The tortoise lifts his house every day. Moral to the story, lift heavy.

Loving this comment! You rock. lol, now I know why the tortoise and the hare has always been my favorite story. :)

oOsBwzN.gif

just bumping this because heavy lifting
  • freak4iron
    freak4iron Posts: 995 Member
    Options

Loving this comment! You rock. lol, now I know why the tortoise and the hare has always been my favorite story. :)

oOsBwzN.gif

Just bumping this cause it seems more like submission :laugh:
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I think you misunderstood. The meme is about literal interpretations and how they can lead to misunderstanding the message. In this case, believing that, say, mailmen should LITERALLY be immortal because they walk all day, is as silly as someone believing that Moses LITERALLY parted the Red Sea.

the meme, to me, is about people making silly excuses for not wanting to exercise. I didn't see it that way at all, and to be honest, I still don't think it's the main point of the meme (though i can see some connection with what you say, now you mention it). Mostly it's just people making a joke about not wanting to exercise.

Also, no-one claims walking every day makes you immortal.... they say walking every day is good for your health, and when I worked as a mailman (woman), I was extremely fit from it.

I'll just lift my house every day and live for 100+ years like a tortoise :drinker:
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options

And a logical creature appears.
    the meme, to me, is about people making silly excuses for not wanting to exercise. I didn't see it that way at all, and to be honest, I still don't think it's the main point of the meme (though i can see some connection with what you say, now you mention it). Mostly it's just people making a joke about not wanting to exercise.

Also, no-one claims walking every day makes you immortal.... they say walking every day is good for your health, and when I worked as a mailman (woman), I was extremely fit from it.

I'll just lift my house every day and live for 100+ years like a tortoise :drinker:

Lmao.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

oOsBwzN.gif

sorry, did you think that I'm a literal bible believer who got "butthurt" over this comment?

my username is "neandermagnon", which comes from "neanderthal" and "cro-magnon" and my avatar has a neanderthal woman in it, and I'm a palaeoanthropology nerd (as it says in my profile). In case you don't know what palaeoanthropology is, it's the study of human evolution. That kind of should alert you to the fact that I'm not, actually, a literal bible believer........ I'm not even a Christian.............. I just don't like gratuitous bashing of other people's religion (or lack thereof).... any religion....
  • mayaocean
    mayaocean Posts: 355 Member
    Options

oOsBwzN.gif

sorry, did you think that I'm a literal bible believer who got "butthurt" over this comment?

my username is "neandermagnon", which comes from "neanderthal" and "cro-magnon" and my avatar has a neanderthal woman in it, and I'm a palaeoanthropology nerd (as it says in my profile). In case you don't know what palaeoanthropology is, it's the study of human evolution. That kind of should alert you to the fact that I'm not, actually, a literal bible believer........ I'm not even a Christian.............. I just don't like gratuitous bashing of other people's religion (or lack thereof).... any religion....

Reading comprehension not even once. You blew this totally out of proportion because you failed to properly read the OP.
    Lol. Would neg you IRL.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.

I'm an atheist too. But I think there's been some kind if mistake?

When I got my atheist certificate, I didn't get one of these *kitten* passes they seem to have handed out to you guys?
  • neandermagnon
    Options

oOsBwzN.gif

Reading comprehension not even once. You blew this totally out of proportion because you failed to properly read the OP.
    Lol. Would neg you IRL.

I didn't blow anything out of proportion..... I didn't find a particular comment on this thread funny, said why, you blew my not liking of your comment way out of proportion..... oh well, it's the internet....
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Hey guys.

I'm an atheist too. But I think there's been some kind if mistake?

When I got my atheist certificate, I didn't get one of these *kitten* passes they seem to have handed out to you guys?

^^^^^ this
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    pNh0taM.gif

lol

glad to know my posts upset you that much :drinker:
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Why don't we keep the religion out of this? It's completely off topic. :smile:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

I actually run ten miles per week and also lift a great amount. Just emphasizing the point that both are good, and slow and steady wins the race.
  • GemmaRowlands
    GemmaRowlands Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I think people understand it's a joke, but like a lot of "taboo" subjects (ie obesity and laziness) joking around and making light of the issue often seems like a preferable option than actually addressing it and getting healthier.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

I agree. Lets go back to lifting our houses on a daily basis and living for 450 years :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    I think people understand it's a joke, but like a lot of "taboo" subjects (ie obesity and laziness) joking around and making light of the issue often seems like a preferable option than actually addressing it and getting healthier.

I think it's okay as a joke, because I really don't think anyone's going to actually take it literally/seriously. The danger is some people will see it as social acceptance of not exercising.... but then if someone's going to use that as an excuse, if they don't use that one, they'll find another. Those who are committed to improving their health will laugh at the meme, then go and exercise anyway. I don't think the meme is going to make anyone who exercises stop exercising.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

LOL!:heart:
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

I agree. Lets go back to lifting our houses on a daily basis and living for 450 years :drinker:

I live in an apartment. Will this affect my gains?
This discussion has been closed.